JS / Programming / Modding

JuKu96

Hi,

I want to ask to help the developer team in someone?

Execuse me for my english, i am from Germany and my english is not the best! :D

My name is Justin, i am 18 years old and have found 0 A.D. 1 week ago and play it very often now.

I have looked in the game code SVN and the mods and have also found some translation, they arent right.

I programm since i am 11 years old, first i have programmed in C and C++, but very long time ago, nowadays i programm much in Java, also for Android, also in HTML, CSS, a bit Javascript & JQuery, PHP & MySQL.

I am not an profi!

I want to collect more experience, so I want to ask, if I can help something. :D

Edited by JuKu96

To help out with the translation see: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/0ad/

Generally the 0 A.D. code is so advanced now that it takes quite some experience to work on it. Please see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers for more information on getting started programming for 0 A.D. including (on one of the linked pages) a list of tasks which require less skills/previous knowledge of the engine.

Well, is there something that you don't like about 0ad? Is there a feature that would amaze you? Pick one, check with some people, file a ticket, write code, submit a patch.

More precisely

• Well, picking one, go wild.
  • Ask on #0ad-dev if they would accept that feature (stay around, you don't get immediate answers!). Or open a forum thread, but I guess that is even slower.
  • If they like it, open a ticket on trac, to keep track of development and provide a place to comment.
  • Write code, don't be afraid to ask, people are nice on #0ad-dev. (at least towards me :D )
  • Submit a patch with your feature to trac (your ticket). Prepare for criticism.
  • Code some more, to appease the critics, then go back to the previous point until the patch is accepted.
Or even better: If you can figure out how to fix a bug, then it doesn't require any creativity and you aren't likely to be rejected, as with certain features.

Keep in mind that I am not part of anything official. This is just what I am currently doing.

Edit: feuneur was refering to the simple tasks found over there: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~simple&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&report=16&order=priority

Edited by rolf.sievers
  • Like 1

(German version below)

Usually, if there is a [Patch], there is already a patch proposed.

In this case (and in several others, sadly) the patch was submitted 14 month ago and no further work was submitted to trac. Thus your chances are high, that you can work on the ticket. Using the existing patch as a base probably helps.

You could post your intention to work on it on trac (#1419) and ask if anyone knows what happened to mackeul (who submitted the original post).

When in doubt, ask in #0ad-dev. A web interface can be found on http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=0ad-dev if you don't have an IRC client installed.

(German version)

Wenn bei einem Ticket ein [Patch] vor steht, dann gibt es normalerweise schon einen Patch. Leider gibt es viele Patches, die nicht fertig gemacht werden, und dann im trac rumliegen, ohne jemanden, der für sie sorgt. Dieser Patch sieht auch so aus, schließlich hat sich vor 14 Monaten das letzte mal jemand ernsthaft daran beteiligt.

Ich würde an deiner Stelle in das Ticket 1419 kommentieren, dass du am Patch arbeiten möchtest. Dann kannst du vermutlich den Patch von damals als Grundlage nehmen um einen aktuellen zu bauen.

Viel Erfolg dabei, wenn du fragen hast kannst du in #0ad-dev auf irc.quakenet.org fragen. Die Entwicklung vom Quellcode läuft ehr über trac und den chat als über das Forum.

Edited by rolf.sievers