ROTE Xù yuē 17 - Impression and suggestion on historical accuracy

wolflance

About Liu Bang: He was born as a farmer's son and led a peasant rebellion, right? That (and some other smaller stuff) gave us actually the idea to train him from the farmstead, give a global farming boost and bonus the attack of basic ranked soldiers nearby him.

Liu Bang can be considered a impoverished noble if you count his great-grandfather, but I get your point. I liked the idea of getting him earlier than other heroes in current release, since economic boost is more important in early game.

The problem with training him from the farmstead is that I can't set rally point from farmstead. Maybe move him to the 'house' building?

Whoah, the last one will be perfect with some coulours, is it public domain ?

As with all Chinese source...it is hard to tell :sweatdrop: . I can find that tracing on multiple websites, but none cite any source.....it is a line tracing of a 2000 year old mural after all.

It's name is 四神云气图, if you want to Google it.

ODxo6Or.jpg

Some cleaner photo.

A little caution with winged dragons: Apparently, they aren't that common according to Jake Carlson:

http://www.jakecarlson.com/2012/12/depictions-of-dragon-in-chinese-art.html

I found the source of his reference at the Open Library:

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924021444728#page/n89/mode/2up

I think we can still use winged dragons in ROTE, but there would need to be non-winged dragons used too. If the anachronistic Bixie statues are set up as props, perhaps those can be replaced with more contemporary dragons and Bixie statues.

Additionally, the Chinese Wikipedia has the 四神云气图, as I'm sure we're aware. Wikipedia, in theory, only accepts libre media. Since Chinese copyright law is not as transparent/effective as what is expected, I think it's fair to assume that the Wikipedia image, at least, is a fair reference.

Edited by SDM

A little caution with winged dragons: Apparently, they aren't that common according to Jake Carlson:

http://www.jakecarlson.com/2012/12/depictions-of-dragon-in-chinese-art.html

I found the source of his reference at the Open Library:

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924021444728#page/n89/mode/2up

I think we can still use winged dragons in ROTE, but there would need to be non-winged dragons used too. If the anachronistic Bixie statues are set up as props, perhaps those can be replaced with more contemporary dragons and Bixie statues.

Additionally, the Chinese Wikipedia has the 四神云气图, as I'm sure we're aware. Wikipedia, in theory, only accepts libre media. Since Chinese copyright law is not as transparent/effective as what is expected, I think it's fair to assume that the Wikipedia image, at least, is a fair reference.

I am aware that most Chinese dragons are without wings, but I think (not entirely sure) that is after myths and traditions of Chinese dragon more or less settled down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New info abound~

btrPSMF.jpg

The Cong People (a.k.a bald guy) might not be bald after all. The Chinese description on the left side of this pic mentioned hairstyle.

The text describe Cong People's facial feature as “long head” "narrow but plumb forehead", "protruded snout", "big cheekbone", "thick lips" , and "narrow chin".

S0EyoiS.jpg

The hairstyle of Cong People might look like this. I am not entirely sure this is from the same figure though.

Edited by wolflance

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't been active for a while :stinker:, due to real life and Lunar new year.

Happy Year of the Goat/Sheep/Ibex by the way :bye:

@stanislas69

Are you referring to this picture when you updat the armor? If so, nicely done!

ZC9u5r6.jpg

I think the texture could be clean up a bit to better match the Han lamellar style. Specifically the 'white dots' on the armor.

uTEYRPr.jpg

Edited by wolflance

Personally I would like to suggest:

1. Two-handed swordsmen (there are many archaeological finds of two-handed Han swords, but sadly no specific textual record of their use that I know of, so I don't know how applicable/historical is this)
  2. Spear (or sword) + crossbow hybrid heavy infantry

Then again the official "Imperial Guard" unit, the Yu Lin (羽林) and Hu Ben (虎賁) of the Han Dynasty are all mounted, I think there is a WIP Hu Ben model already.

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 1

I am actually not so sure about champion soldiers for the Chinese from the gameplay POV. I mean, they have a broad lineup and are able to respond to almost all situations (they nearly always have unit that can make a stand). Combine that with the other civ bonuses (strong farming economy and walls, unique techs) and you already have a strong faction. Give them killer champion units and you have a Chinese supremacy (I think).