===[COMMITTED]=== Wolfhound

Micket

Great!! You're a beast in organic modelling :)

Don't hesitate to use a little bit more geometry if necessary, these ones will be more important than huntable animals.

Use three loops in the joints that are going to bent, we can afford it and animation deformations will look much better on skinny legs like dogs ;)

Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...

While I think the mastiff and the rest of animals are really spot-on in shape and proportions, I can't stop thinking that in the wolfhound the neck is too large and the head too small. Not very way-off, but enough to not be comfortable with it.

Here's a comparison shot of what I think feels more natural:

post-13528-0-18567700-1414745183_thumb.j

Opinions?

I'm certain he used it as a background when modelling, so expect a 100% match.

It's true that the long neck is a characteristic of this breed, maybe I'm seeing it longer than it should because of the stiff pose or the particular dog in the reference.

Searching "wolfhound" in google images you can see that they indeed have long neck, some longer and others shorter.

Yeah.

I checked again, and perhaps i made the neck a little to long. I don't think the head is to small though.

What I've learned from doing these animals, is that there is a huge variation in body shapes (sometimes makes it hard to find good references because every animal starts to look very much different.

I know the body on my mesh might look a bit to large, but there is also hair hanging from the belly, so without those lose faces it might look a bit more proportional.

I agree.

I just though that tweaking the neck a bit would fit more on the "average" proportions of the breed. I've been checking it hiding the "hairy lose" faces. I'll use them for alpha-transparency hair still.

I think I'll leave the head size as the original and shorten the neck just a tiny bit (not as much as the comparison screenshot I posted earlier)

• 4 months later...

It looks very nice, but probably a bit too much like a pet (very friendly, peaceful and shampooed less than an hour ago in the dog parlor ;) ).

A bit of dirt would be welcome indeed.

Also, when it will be used for the Briton civ, maybe it could use some paint. Most of the half-naked Briton units show some blue body paintings, and as dogs were important to them, I wouldn't be surprised if they also painted their war dogs a bit. But I have no evidence of this.

A bit of dirt would be welcome indeed.

Also, when it will be used for the Briton civ, maybe it could use some paint.

This reminds me that the paint can't be playercolored, since I used alpha transparency for several hairy parts. So I guess playercolor in this one must be in a propped (and animated) collar. I already made some improvements on the animation, smoothing things out. I'll try to make it dirtier and have another variation too.