===[COMMITTED]=== Fox

Stan`

Jason is spot on with the suggestions imo.

The tail needs also a bunch of edgeloops for animation deformation, right now the tail couldn't bend.

About the seams, quadruped animals are normally seamed this way:

- Separating the legs. Seams around the legs where they connect to the torso and each leg cut by a vertical seam in the inner part for unwrapping them. You made horizontal seam cuts on the legs which are not necessary, also the vertical seam is better to be in the inner part, since it will be less visible than in the front where it is now.

- Separating the tail. As it is now.

- Separating the head. Choose near the skull, or the base of the neck. You made both, one of them is unnecessary.

-The last part after separating all of them is the body. It's better to have it in one solid piece. The current central body seam is not necessary.

This is not set in stone, but it's "the standard". You can definitely cut in other places depending on the topology of the creature, like around the ears or parts where you notice stretching or the textures look stressed.

The number of polys and shape looks good to me, except the mentioned tail issue.

That is really odd, I just did a quick count and I could only count 160ish tris in that image, So I can't imagine you would be up over 500 total. Perhaps there are cloned tris in your model?

Are you comfortable modeling? I wasn't aware that you weren't the maker of the model. Yes, I do think there are to many tris in the face region.

I imported the existing *.dae file i could find and found the polycount to be 429 triangles.

There are several issues with that model though, such as a few triangles where randomly disconnected, the face has broken topology (heavily deformed and overlapping triangles). Some areas of the anatomy I think is a bit off as well, and could use a bit more tweaking.

Would you guys mind if I had a go at tweaking the model a bit, and then stanislav could texture it?

Edited by Micket

I imported the existing *.dae file i could find and found the polycount to be 429 triangles.

There are several issues with that model though, such as a few triangles where randomly disconnected, the face has broken topology (heavily deformed and overlapping triangles). Some areas of the anatomy I think is a bit off as well, and could use a bit more tweaking.

Would you guys mind if I had a go at tweaking the model a bit, and then stanislav could texture it?

Sure go ahead =) I'll be sure of the topology, Apply your three awesome advices list and make another great model for the game =) I have an idea for an easy rigging.

BTW Micket can you call me Stan, or Stanislas ? I don't have a v in my name (No offense meant I think you just misread it =P)

• 1 year later...

Maybe is a bit up on his feet. I think if he was to walk with his nose close to the ground it would be to sense something, so his body would be closer to the ground too. Looks nice tho.

EDIT : How do you make the background ? Is it some sort of curved plane ?

Edited by stanislas69

Maybe is a bit up on his feet. I think if he was to walk with his nose close to the ground it would be to sense something, so his body would be closer to the ground too. Looks nice tho.

Foxes tend to lower their head when walking.

This is a nice dog-diferentiating trait that I observed which it also correlates with their shy nature. I also didn't want to use dog references, and tried to give its own personality.

reference 1

reference 2

reference 3

reference 4

Also just check for "fox walking" in google images to see this behaviour clearly.

EDIT : How do you make the background ? Is it some sort of curved plane ?

It's with blender's background options in the world tab.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...