More realistic mountains

niektb

Recently I put some effort into researching the creation of more realistic looking mountain and today I would like to publish my first results:

hSjkVIL.jpg

As you can see, I focused on the middle and didn't bother too much about the sides.

What do you think of this? Where and how could it be improved?

• Like 5

That looks awesome man!

Could you please add some more screenshots from default camera angle?

Is it an actor on its own? or did you make it with the terrain tools?

Good work!

What a coincidence I was thinking lately of an approach of making cliffs which I think it would look great:

Small modular cliff and slab pieces that would conform to the terrain like props and making them to extend a lot under the terrain, so when placed in steep areas it would look like a jagged, cliffy wall. Since they would conform to the terrain, the scenario artist would have all the control on how the cliff face would look.

This was fully made using the terrain tools in Atlas (except the stone actors)

If it would be a modeled actor much more detail would be possible.

That is actually also the difficulty with pre-fabbed cliff actors (how would you do the obstruction BTW?), it would be hard to give it an equal amount of detail compared to the rest of the map (that is made with the rough terrain tools).

Now where did I move that screenshot to...?

I miss a possibility to import blend maps for some materials from a file and to choose a height multiplicator for importing height maps. And maybe a export function for heightmaps. If this features would exist, you could create the terrain with some erosion simulation software like Worldmahine. Software like this produces much more realistic mountains.

I miss a possibility to import blend maps for some materials from a file and to choose a height multiplicator for importing height maps. And maybe a export function for heightmaps. If this features would exist, you could create the terrain with some erosion simulation software like Worldmahine. Software like this produces much more realistic mountains.

Actually you can import heightmaps, just save them out as an image file and import it using the Import Heightmap... option in the File menu in Atlas :)

• 1 month later...