[Millenium A.D. Part1] Saxon Architectual Reference Pack

Le Druide Gaulois

• 11 months later...

Here follows more references. Saxons seemed to have used both wood and timber frame equally in their constructions, and despite the examples here, roofs were almost always made of straw. I don't know if we should choose between wood x timber-frame or if we could mess with them both just like the good old Saxons did.

4983437663_6d61e22b77_b.jpg

]

langhaus_saxon1.JPG

]

image5Kim.jpg
28doverSaxonHallDrawingSm.jpg

I say we experiment and try both wood (modifyed from the Norse, maybe) and timber frame, since they used both. From what I have seen, the Saxons seemed less architectually skilled than the Norse, so Saxon structures should look "lamer" and a little more primitive. Some constructions used boards, other simple logs. The pictures of West Stow on the first post show this diversity really well.

I really like them so far, just a couple of notes: the roofs should advance a little more from the ends of the homes, and there's is a very definite line separating the upper and the lower sides of the houses. Also, that little board I've drawn above the doors would be for player color. By the way, putting a little storage thingy behind one of them would be a good idea. I'm being really confusing here, I hope the picture bellow illustrates it better:

post-16101-0-94268300-1443230332_thumb.j

Edited by Le Druide Gaulois

• 1 month later...