N00b seeking guidance

WhiteSpace

Hello,

i'm having a hard time getting this game past the 20min marker. I'm not new to RTS games, i've played Dune, A.O.E, Civ, StarCraft I & II, COH I & II, but this one baffles me....alot...

Nomatter what i try, i always seem to die around the 20 min marker. I get attacked around the 15th min or so, hold on for a few minutes and then call defeat.

Could some of the more seasoned players here give some tips about good starting build orders please?

When i compare my scores with those of my a.i opponent, i'm not even nearly half as far as he is. How does he do this? How does he, for instance, get around 8000 points for his economy, where i score "only" 2500? Clearly i'm doing something wrong here, but i can't figure out exactly what it is, and how to improve what i'm doing wrong is also a question mark.

So, in short, any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by WhiteSpace

What AI difficulty level are you using?

In "hard" and "very hard" difficulty, the AI gets a gather bonus. In "normal" difficulty, AI units gather equally fast as human players, and in "easy" difficulty, the AI units get a gathering penalty.

That being said, the AI may be very good at economy, but it's still not that good at battling. Certainly not at micro. The most important thing that you should try is to be earlier than the AI. When you attack the AI at its base (staying out of reach of the CC) you can completely kill its economy and win without too much problems. The main difficulty is microing your units around to fight the AI, while also keeping an eye on your economy (as you can't beat the AI with only an early raid).

@Zzippy; thx for the advice. Will do that and learn new tips and tricks.

@Sander: I play at normal difficulty, wich shows that i'm missing the ball here. As said earlier, i don't seem to gather resources fast enough, i don't seem to be building troops fast enough.

I'll have a look at other players and see how they manage their games. From there on out, i'll be trying the same tactics, and see if this helps.

Thx for the tips guys!!

Everybody, a big thank you.

Thanks to the tips here, i've gotten as far as 3 townphases and a lot better economy. Still got whiped away in the end, but now i have a fighting chance.

What struck me after townphase 2 was me questioning myself : "What am i supposed to do now?".

So i've started to construct civ buildings, but only too late. The enemy had already some nearby. (Didn't scout at all...major mistake).

@Sesquiplicarius: thx for the tip. I was wondering about that. You know, getting my wall up and all, but then thinking, ok, how do i reach the enemy? (And, being the n00b that i am in this game, there are much more angles the enemy can strike from. Again, that could be reveiled if i did some scouting... :pilot: )

Well, i've got a little bit better, thx to you guys! This is a hard game, but very fun to play.

• 4 months later...

The AI does work quickly and most times will build an attack force that either cripples you or kills you.

Sadly, the only method I have found to counter this is the quick building of skirmishers and put women to work doing gathering close to town and them on fringes.

It keeps the early rush bashing into combat troops and resources flowing.

Slinger are kind of OP at start with low resources. They use stone not wood. Usually that means you can pop off six without affecting your wooden buildings.