ERROR: Failed to load .... & Segmentation fault (0ad-dev, Linux Mint 17)

Falx

Hi,
Same problem for me, since an update, few days ago, and I miss 0AD :P
I use the dev PPA, so I tried the normal PPA, but the same problem occurs. So I've reinstalled the game from the main Ubuntu repo, and it works fine (the old version of Feb 2014, with qBot, yoohoo).

I'm using the nvidia-343 driver on Nvidia GeForce GTX 760M. I've tried with nvidia-331, no change.

When the game crashes, we can also see in the dmesg : pyrogenesis[4390]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000065c33a sp 00007fffcf237ad0 error 4 in pyrogenesis[400000+60e000]

Sorry if I'm insulting your language, I'm French.

The errors don't have anything to do with drivers or graphics card.

I notice in your first screenshot, it shows the 0ad.dev PPA and you mention installing it, but that is a development snapshot of the game and not intended for most users, as it explains here. It is probably broken due to recent changes in mod structure, very likely the package maintainer doesn't even know about them yet. I would recommend sticking with the non-development A16 version of the game (0ad) unless you want to encounter these kinds of bugs :)

Can you confirm if the A16 package from May (0ad not 0ad.dev) works for you?

I'm sure the developers are paying much more attention to porting to Windows, than alternatives. Please bring to the normal development of the game results in the Linus. Thank you for your attention.

Not really, most of what we do isn't OS specific, so it benefits Windows, Linux and OS X users equally. When something does break, we have enough users that generally we hear about it fairly quickly and can address them :)

Ok, that's what I was thinking (undefined JS functions...), but the people above my post don't stop to speak about video drivers xD

I'm using the dev version to get the latest improvements, I'm conscious that it can be very unstable, but it can also help you :)

In the past, 0AD A16 was working fine on my PC. Now, it doesn't work. The error in dmesg is the same, but the output changes in the console :

Cache: 500 (total: 15929) MiBTIMER| InitVfs: 64.4222 msSound: AlcInit success, using OpenAL SoftTIMER| CONFIG_Init: 3.31264 msATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.TIMER| RunHardwareDetection: 24.3328 msTIMER| write_sys_info: 16.4598 msTIMER| InitRenderer: 1.36409 msTIMER| ps_console: 2.53624 msTIMER| ps_lang_hotkeys: 701.225 usSegmentation fault (core dumped)

I can't understand why this version no longer works (I've also purged my configuration files via apt-get purge, on 0ad, 0ad-data-update, 0ad-data...).

Edited by Alembic

For me, exactly the same error when install 0ad (and not 0ad.dev) Alpha 16:

Cache: 500 (total: 5879) MiBTIMER| InitVfs: 87.7652 msSound: AlcInit success, using OpenAL SoftTIMER| CONFIG_Init: 12.4651 msATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.TIMER| RunHardwareDetection: 31.3654 msTIMER| write_sys_info: 16.8138 msTIMER| InitRenderer: 1.65501 msTIMER| ps_console: 3.09768 msTIMER| ps_lang_hotkeys: 761.485 usSegmentation fault (core dumped)

Yes, finally it seems that the error doesn't have anything to do with drivers or graphics card...

Edited by Georges

I turn force_s3tc_enable (from folder default.cfg line 76 via local.cfg) to false, I run 0ad from terminal and I get these informations:

Cache: 500 (total: 5879) MiBTIMER| InitVfs: 89.0971 msSound: AlcInit success, using OpenAL SoftTIMER| CONFIG_Init: 11.9586 msTIMER| RunHardwareDetection: 37.2499 msTIMER| write_sys_info: 16.6163 msTIMER| InitRenderer: 1.64432 msTIMER| ps_console: 2.97622 msTIMER| ps_lang_hotkeys: 767.11 usSegmentation fault (core dumped)

I know, it's nothing this...at least, there isn't anymore attention signal.

Edited by Georges

When the game crashes, we can also see in the dmesg : pyrogenesis[4390]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000065c33a sp 00007fffcf237ad0 error 4 in pyrogenesis[400000+60e000]

There is crash with pyrogenesis. This application is located in /usr/games/ where there is the text file 0ad which writes:

#!/bin/shpyrogenesis=$(which pyrogenesis 2> /dev/null)if [ -x "$pyrogenesis" ] ; then  "$pyrogenesis" "$@"else  echo "Error: pyrogenesis not found in ($PATH)"  exit 1fi

Yes, Pyrogenesis is the game engine.

This file, /usr/games/0ad is just the bootstrap to run pyrogenesis, and there's no problem with it. The crash is inside the pyrogenesis binary, as the kernel message in dmesg shows. I just gave this log message if the developers want more informations about the segmentation fault, but I think the error output of 0ad is sufficient ;)

Edited by Alembic

I notice in your first screenshot, it shows the 0ad.dev PPA and you mention installing it, but that is a development snapshot of the game and not intended for most users, as it explains here. It is probably broken due to recent changes in mod structure, very likely the package maintainer doesn't even know about them yet. I would recommend sticking with the non-development A16 version of the game (0ad) unless you want to encounter these kinds of bugs :)

Can you confirm if the A16 package from May (0ad not 0ad.dev) works for you?

Not really, most of what we do isn't OS specific, so it benefits Windows, Linux and OS X users equally. When something does break, we have enough users that generally we hear about it fairly quickly and can address them :)

Thanks for the feedback on my post, historic_bruno. :declare:
Sorry for my english
I set out initially did fix version for developers (unstable) .Because after scheduled departures at startup I completely deleted all the data, including repository and dependency and sets the version of the 16 stable. But it does not work (though originally, before the first experiment with a version of 16 virgins all worked fine). Several times I completely delete the entire game version 16 (stable) and reinstalled it according to the rules through the repository, but it does not work the same crash with a segmentation fault).
But when I installed after a complete clean version 15 (earlier) then it works. After the upgrade to version 16, it will not start again and does not work.
I suspect that this is true and the video card driver is not to blame .. Probably what the files are missing or were within the files or more depending on the very first version of the experiment with the development but I do not know how to find the error and how it can be corrected.
Edited by Falx

Thanks for the feedback on my post, historic_bruno. :declare:

Sorry for my english

I set out initially did fix version for developers (unstable) .Because after scheduled departures at startup I completely deleted all the data, including repository and dependency and sets the version of the 16 stable. But it does not work (though originally, before the first experiment with a version of 16 virgins all worked fine). Several times I completely delete the entire game version 16 (stable) and reinstalled it according to the rules through the repository, but it does not work the same crash with a segmentation fault).

But when I installed after a complete clean version 15 (earlier) then it works. After the upgrade to version 16, it will not start again and does not work.

I suspect that this is true and the video card driver is not to blame .. Probably what the files are missing or were within the files or more depending on the very first version of the experiment with the development but I do not know how to find the error and how it can be corrected.

I think you might do better asking on Linux Mint forums how to cleanly install/uninstall the packages, as that is specific to each distro, and I have never used Mint or the PPAs.

In theory, there's nothing much powerful than "apt-get purge <package>" in Debian-based distros (Ubuntu for me, Mint for Falx). We can't do more. But it doesn't work. Maybe 0ad modifies other environment files than its proper files and configuration files. And maybe the uninstall script does'nt know that.

The game has a problem, that's sure. If we success to install the functional A16 version, the problem will just probably be postponed if it's not fixed.

Ok, it works, please enter these commands, it should work on Debian/Ubuntu derivatives.

First, deactivate your dev PPA and use the normal PPA.

apt-get --purge autoremove 0ad
sudo apt-get clean
sudo rm -rf /home/{username}/.config/0adsudo rm -rf /home/{username}/.local/share/0ad
sudo apt-get install 0ad

On this clean installation, I will now try to install the A17, maybe we can be surprised ? :P

Edited by Alembic

apt-get --purge autoremove 0ad sudo apt-get clean sudo rm -rf /home/{username}/.config/0adsudo rm -rf /home/{username}/.local/share/0ad sudo apt-get install 0ad

Hrm, no, let me improve this:

sudo apt-get purge 0adsudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:wfg/0ad.devsudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0adsudo apt-get updaterm -rf ~/.config/0adrm -rf ~/.local/share/0adsudo apt-get install 0ad
Edited by zzippy

Hrm, no, let me improve this:

sudo apt-get purge 0adsudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:wfg/0ad.devsudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0adsudo apt-get updaterm -rf ~/.config/0adrm -rf ~/.local/share/0adsudo apt-get install 0ad

Yeah, I know that sudo wasn't necessary on .local and .config, this is an oversight.

And for ~/, that's because I copy/paste the output of locate (absolute pathes) and then I copy/pasted my commands on this forum. I even forgot to change the username so I rapidly change it to {username} without thinking. So, sorry, I was stupid on this post, this will not happen anymore man :closedeyes:

Edited by Alembic

Ok, it works, please enter these commands, it should work on Debian/Ubuntu derivatives.

apt-get --purge autoremove 0ad
sudo apt-get clean
sudo rm -rf /home/{username}/.config/0adsudo rm -rf /home/{username}/.local/share/0ad
sudo apt-get install 0ad

On this clean installation, I will now try to install the A17, maybe we can be surprised ? :P

I followed these steps and finally the game plays fine on my laptop. Thanks Alembic. What about A17 now?

The PPA needs to be updated by an human, the package maintener. He can't build the entire game at each SVN revision, so the PPA is easiest to install (pre-compiled binaries & auto-install) but is always less up-to-date. With SVN, you only get the sources, which needs to be manually commpiled and installed : it also means no auto-updates.

Edited by Alembic
  • Like 2