Newbie question about unit production

esteves1

So I started playing this recently and I've seen that if you create units by using shift (multiples of 5) you can get them out for the same cost but faster (in the long term). That is nicely used when you are trying to make lots of units that aren't needed imediatly. I don't do that with worker womans because I constantly need more resources faster, and to delay their production just to get a few seconds of advantage doesn't seem like a good trade. I thought that would be good for military units, but they can also collect resources for me...

So I have no idea when and why I should use this unit creation method. Any help?

Welcome to the forums :)

So I have no idea when and why I should use this unit creation method. Any help?

Mid-late game it becomes more useful - your economy is stronger and should be able to support 5 units being produced at once. Earlier in the game it's true that you may need to balance your resources more, and build units individually based on what's available. Also, when being attacked, it's safer to build a group of units than an individual unit that may be killed instantly by ranged weapons. In a larger group at least some of the units may survive to retaliate and take out the attackers.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums :)

Mid-late game it becomes more useful - your economy is stronger and should be able to support 5 units being produced at once. Earlier in the game it's true that you may need to balance your resources more, and build units individually based on what's available. Also, when being attacked, it's safer to build a group of units than an individual unit that may be killed instantly by ranged weapons. In a larger group at least some of the units may survive to retaliate and take out the attackers.

Thanks! I'm sure throughout the development of the game the players will also come up with some cool strategies to use this resource more effeciently. Anyway, a nice touch to the game that I had never seen before. Congrats on the awesome FREE (wich is unbeliavable) game!

In my opinion, i almost always build villies in 5 batches (unless i'm house training, in which case, i'm already alot of ladies!)

The only occasion i don't is if i don't have enough food to do so. then i just train 1 at a time until i can afford my price of 250.

Remember the rule for Early game CC's: Down Time Is Bad Time.

DTBT.

1 female = 15s, 5 female = 15x5 = 75. 10 female = 15x10 = 150

1 batch (5 at once) = 55. 2 batch (10 at once) = 95.

But I didn't calculate the exact amount of resources that could be collected, because with 5 consequent production, gathering could started even if 4 vills are still in production. With batch there is no gathering until the batch finished training.

If you have 5 ladies gathering berries and 1 horseman hunting (if not chickens - something else) you SHOULD be able to keep up an almost steady rate of 5 villagers at a time. If the map on which you are playing is very animal heavy, you definately can if you get 1 or 2 cavalry hunting the local wildlife.

• 2 weeks later...