New feature - Fogging

Hi everyone,

The fogging system, that allows hiding the changes to building in the Fog-of-War, has just been added to the svn version. (r15612)

This change is a huge change, and even if much work has been done by the devs to limit the number of bugs, there can be some remaining issues. So I open this thread to collect any feedback or bug reports about the feature, to centralize everything. I'll be off for holidays soon, so this is to make sure I'll take care of every report!

Also, any suggestion is welcome.

I am already aware of some issues I decided to put aside for the moment, I will correct all that as soon as possible. The associated Trac tickets are the following:

Thanks in advance for your participation, and enjoy playing without knowing what your enemies are preparing! ;)

• Like 5

wow, awesome.

As a temporary adjustment, territories do not explore the map anymore when their borders change. See #2709.

Why not keepit as such. I think in The Settlers territories also were covered in fog of war, when there was no own/allied unit or building. It's quite like in real world then.

Thank you Itms for adding an additional layer of strategy. Feint manoevres and reconnaissance may be much more important now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Issues I've noticed which may or may not be bugs:

* Construction progress not shown on fogged foundations.

* Can't delete foundations placed in fog of war unless they are visible, but why?

* ...unless you place a foundation in a visible area, then open the delete confirmation window, and the foundation becomes fogged, then you can delete it, but it will reappear until the area becomes visible again. If there's a gameplay reason for not deleting foundations in FOW, I guess it should be verified in Commands.js. In that case, the kill button in the UI should also be hidden.

* Got this warning once, not sure how to reproduce it yet:

WARNING: JavaScript warning: __internal(32) press line 0 reference to undefined property g_Selection.toList(...)[0]
* Hovering status bars (for health, etc.) aren't visible on fogged entities, not sure if this is intentional since it worked in previous releases. Note that it's not really accomplishing anything, because I can still see the health of the entity by clicking on it.

You also don't see if a foundation is DEAD in fog. one of yours, that is.

That kind of makes sense though, if you place a foundation in FoW and it gets destroyed, that tells you enemies are there, but you wouldn't this know otherwise. I think it's a different case than deleting your own foundation, that is like canceling a plan, and it doesn't give you any more information to exploit. I'm sure there are other opinions about it. #2710 mentions some of these problems.

* Construction progress not shown on fogged foundations.

If you mean the visual actor ascending from the ground, yes I know, I didn't investigate though. See next bullet points...

* Can't delete foundations placed in fog of war unless they are visible, but why?
* ...unless you place a foundation in a visible area, then open the delete confirmation window, and the foundation becomes fogged, then you can delete it, but it will reappear until the area becomes visible again. If there's a gameplay reason for not deleting foundations in FOW, I guess it should be verified in Commands.js. In that case, the kill button in the UI should also be hidden.

... now the foundation placing system is quite bogus with respect to the new FoW, I'd like to redesign it somehow (#2710) but I think the current state is still acceptable. Please tell me if you disagree.

* Got this warning once, not sure how to reproduce it yet:

WARNING: JavaScript warning: __internal(32) press line 0 reference to undefined property g_Selection.toList(...)[0]

No idea

* Hovering status bars (for health, etc.) aren't visible on fogged entities, not sure if this is intentional since it worked in previous releases. Note that it's not really accomplishing anything, because I can still see the health of the entity by clicking on it.

This is half intentional, I found it rather logical, given that we lack information about the actual state of the entity. Your point is valid though, I will fix this when I can.

That kind of makes sense though, if you place a foundation in FoW and it gets destroyed, that tells you enemies are there, but you wouldn't this know otherwise. I think it's a different case than deleting your own foundation, that is like canceling a plan, and it doesn't give you any more information to exploit. I'm sure there are other opinions about it. #2710 mentions some of these problems.

Whilst i agree with this argument, it's also kind of a pain.

"is my building dead, or is it alive?!"

* Got this warning once, not sure how to reproduce it yet:WARNING: JavaScript warning: __internal(32) press line 0 reference to undefined property g_Selection.toList(...)[0]No idea

Might be related to timing or memory management because somehow the selection gets invalidated. I recently paused the pyrogensis process from the command line and waited for some time, then woke it up, selected a female citizen unit quickly, pressed F for focus again and then quickly clicked into nowhere, then focus again. => The same error message popped up, but it might have been random or the corresponding RAM part not being available yet or invalidated resulting in that undefined variable.

Couldn't figure out how to reproduce it either, but that it happened with the female citizen might indicate that it's nothing related to the fogging?