Littles questions

Peregriino

Hi for all!

I play 0ad some time, I know how to play, but I have littles questions, others will go later, I think.

First, has difference if I garrison ranged units in Tower or Fortress, for exemplo like damage and range? For exemplo if I garrison melee units in a Tower, my ranged will be less? Or champions units and citizen-soldiers?

Second is about hero auras, is working?

I have others, but I don't remember now.

Hello!

I'm relatively new too, but I believe the fortress has a fixed ranged (same for the towers - you can see it if you mouse-over the little shield and sword icon in the building description).

The other question: yes the hero auras seem to work (but to me it seems not all of them). For example, a hero (don't remember the civ now) which increases attack of nearby units by +2. You can test these by taking your units, look at their attack damage first, then move them near a hero and look at the damage again. You'll see it's increased. Don't know about healing auras and other, i guess they should work too.

Not all units add attack to buildings. That's settable per building. But normally, every ranged unit and every infantry unit adds arrows to the building. So a ballista in a fortress adds arrows (it's ranged), a swordsman adds arrows to a fortress (it's infantry). The main category that isn't included are the melee cavalry units.

The most notable exception to this general rule are the quinqueremes. There only ballistas add arrows (or rocks) to the fire rate.

The number of arrows per unit added can also differ per building. Like in the defense tower, you have a tech that adds 1.4 arrows instead of 1 arrow per garrisoned soldier there (if I remember the numbers correctly).

The range, and the strength of one arrow is fixed per building.

Having all this info inside one tooltip (classes that count, number of arrows they add, ...) used too much space. So we opted to just show the rate after garrisonning.

The auras indeed are mostly working. Except those of the new civs (Ptolemies and Seleucids) might be missing in our latest release (and might have quite un-specific tooltips). And they're not very powerful as I just implemented them as examples. Hoping some balancer would come by and make them interesting enough to use, but not overpowered. I prefer underpowered auras over overpowered stuff. As they're very civ-specific, and overpowered auras would just give a big advantage to one civ, and make the entire game unbalanced. When they're underpowered, they're just not used.

We're also looking into a way to visualise the range auras. There's an example visualisation for the Athen temple, but it requires GLSL to be seen.

• Like 2

TDB = To Be Done / To Be Determined / To Be Designed / ...

In short, they have none. We mainly need to find something they were good at (more than just "good at war"), and find a matching stat change for it. If you have ideas, you can always suggest them. Though I'm not sure who will take care of those things anymore. Normally Mythos_Ruler did all those little design things, but he's gone now. I guess it would help if you could suggest and implement them, so we only have to commit them :D

I don't know nothing about design and java, but I think that one romans heroes will have a aura like Leonidas of Sparta - 20% of attack.

Afternoon, I tested romans ships. I garrinson my units and I attack the enemy, but my ships shoot few arrows por seconds, but when I just click my ships near the enemy it's shoot more arrows. It's a bug?

I don't know nothing about design and java, but I think that one romans heroes will have a aura like Leonidas of Sparta - 20% of attack.

It's all done in XML, which just requires you to copy-paste from somewhere, and adapt it a bit. Also, we want unique abilities per hero. There's no use to have 3 heroes, if they're equally strong in all circumstances.

Afternoon, I tested romans ships. I garrinson my units and I attack the enemy, but my ships shoot few arrows por seconds, but when I just click my ships near the enemy it's shoot more arrows. It's a bug?

If you mean the quinquereme, you need to garrison ballistas in it to increase fire power (as the tooltip says). If you mean the other ships, it can be a bug.

Ah, that's a range mismatch issue. The default arrow is fired through the UnitAI, which uses the footprint to calculate the distance to something. That's because it's also used for melee units, and we want those to gather around the footprint, and because you only have one target per unit.

The additional arrows are fired by the BuildingAI, that only checks the center-to-center distance, which is faster to calculate is you can have hundreds of targets you need to test for. So if you aim your ship for big targets, it will only go until the footprint is in range, and not until the center of the target is in range.

Due to the code design, this is somewhat hard to fix without duplicating lots of functions.

• 1 month later...

Hi for all!

I play 0ad some time, I know how to play, but I have littles questions, others will go later, I think.

First, has difference if I garrison ranged units in Tower or Fortress, for exemplo like damage and range? For exemplo if I garrison melee units in a Tower, my ranged will be less? Or champions units and citizen-soldiers?

Second is about hero auras, is working?

I have others, but I don't remember now.

I think if you garrison, if affects how fast the the thingy shoots.

Hero auras, I'm not sure.