Faction: The Franks

niektb

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

If we are going to follow the minister unit approach, I would suggest that the minister unit actor file would be three infantries banded together.

One bishop, and two noblemen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitulary_of_Servais

I like your idea, however, these three-units-pack should not impact too much the population cap, meaning it should only count as one unit...or was it precisely what you intended to do? :P

Also, there's now a need for bishop graphics ;)

Description: http://www.thefinertimes.com/Middle-Ages/bishops-in-the-middle-ages.html

Illustrations: Saint Frederick of Utrecht, ninth century:

Saint of the Day â St Frederick of Utrecht â (D 838) Bishop and Martyr Patron of the Deaf #pinterest Frederick lived in ninth-century Utrecht, in central Netherlands. When he was ordained, Bishop Ricfried put him in charge of instructing converts. Around 825, he was chosen as bishop of Utrecht. He gave high priority to missionary work. In fact, he sent brave priests to areas where the people were still pagan. He .........

Saint Oswald of Worcester, Archbishop of York (10th century):

A stained glass image of St. Oswald of Worcester

6 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Trebuchet is almost done just need to sync animations

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression this mod is supposed to cover the 500-1000 AD timeframe. Counterweight trebuchets first appear in the 12th C AD, thus postdating the Carolingians.

• Like 1

Just now, Nescio said:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression this mod is supposed to cover the 500-1000 AD timeframe. Counterweight trebuchets first appear in the 12th C AD, thus postdating the Carolingians.

in page 10 or 9 IIRC theres a text who speaks about a lever "catapult" using cilinder wood, two arms and sling as a stolen technology from chinese for trowing rocks but is also seen in two referencial paintings and none of the 3 references has any relation since 1 is in spanish good information page, 2nd is at Age of Charlemagne Osprey book wich was used for both norse and anglo factions and 3rd is another book "Charlemagne's Early Campaigns (768-777): A Diplomatic and Military Analysis".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

in page 10 or 9 IIRC theres a text who speaks about a lever "catapult" using cilinder wood, two arms and sling as a stolen technology from chinese for trowing rocks but is also seen in two referencial paintings and none of the 3 references has any relation since 1 is in spanish good information page, 2nd is at Age of Charlemagne Osprey book wich was used for both norse and anglo factions and 3rd is another book "Charlemagne's Early Campaigns (768-777): A Diplomatic and Military Analysis".

Yes, traction trebuchets (or mangonel) existed in Europe since the 6th C AD, and possibly centuries earlier in China, however, the one you animated clearly uses a counterweight, not torsion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nescio said:

Yes, traction trebuchets (or mangonel) existed in Europe since the 6th C AD, and possibly centuries earlier in China, however, the one you animated clearly uses a counterweight, not torsion.

The text didn't speak about torsion but is possibly it may be like picture below. Now that you mention traction it does say that it was a traction catapult but honestly i don't know the difference yet until now, but also speaks about ropes so if maybe isn't counterweighted but pulled by ropes like the ones seen in the drawing but since mod will cover from 500 to 1000 and then 1000 to 1000+ it won't hurt have both.

Spoiler

image.png.dcf3e0a6b3c6c99a3a090d260bad6d41.pngimage.jpeg.56fa45c1cbf0b97540618bba5f7ea47b.jpegimage.png.3be3d50a6eef49ea8886bb7b47b57e01.png

and this is what the autor imagined how it worked (other text)

Spoiler

image.png.5fbaebe000cc967517082e0ff19e36fe.png

Edited by Alexandermb

19 hours ago, wackyserious said:

If we are going to follow the minister unit approach, I would suggest that the minister unit actor file would be three infantries banded together.

One bishop, and two noblemen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitulary_of_Servais

it may look weird if batallion isn't working yet on 0 AD, other way could be adding an aura to the bishop but affecting only the noblemen and viceversa leaving the base template of the actors as they were useless alone but stronger together.

Edited by Alexandermb

The trio would just be idle though out the game, players will just place them near gatherers to have an economic boost. They will be visually similar to traders or packed siege engines where walking and idle animations are synced. It would be too much macro-management if we will implement three of them. That was also the pattern based on the sources. One bishop and two non-clergy representatives of the Emperor.

Edited by wackyserious
  • Like 1