Faction: The Franks

niektb

Time to sparkle some life in this topic ^_^

I'm going to commit your icon, lion! btw, could you create a rallypoint banner based on this symbol too?

Back to the unit roster:

Weaponry

According to this source swords were quite expensive in the early Middle Ages (like we already discovered when researching for the Anglo-Saxons and Norse):

Spoiler

During the reign of Charlemagne, the Lex Ribuaria recorded the price of a sword and scabbard as seven solidi, and that of a sword alone as three solidi.139 By comparison, a text from late in Charles the Bald’s reign put the price of a sword at five solidi. Swords were therefore relatively expensive items, and this explains why in Charlemagne’s capitularies only the cavalry, who could afford to own and maintain a horse, were required to possess swords. A passage in Regino’s Chronicle suggests that by the late ninth century at least, the sword was considered to be the mounted warrior’s principal weapon.

It suggests that only cavalry (the more whealthy persons, since they also could afford to own and maintain a horse) used swords.

Lances seem to be the mostly commonly used weapon for both foot soldiers and horsemen:

Spoiler

Pictorial sources show the lance as the predominant weapon carried by both foot soldiers and horsemen, far more common than either the bow or the sword. The fact that the lances depicted in many of these illustrations are winged, a feature which only developed in the course of the eighth century, implies that the miniatures reflect contemporary conditions. This impression is reinforced by archeological evidence, since lances are also among the most common weapons in eighth-century graves, found far more often than arrows, and slightly more often than swords.

Reading further they explain that foot soldiers use either lances or bows. The wealthier horsmen also could afford to use swords.

Helmets:

It's not entirely clear what kind of helmets the Carolingians used. Likely they used some form of the Spangenhelm.

Psalterium%20aureum%20132.jpgImage result for Stuttgart Psalter

The left image comes from the Psalterium Aureum, a manuscript from the late 9th century. The right image comes from the Stuttgart Psalter.

Shields and Armor

The shield was the cheapest defensive equipment. Shields were made of wood and sometimes covered with leather too. (similar to our 'cheaper' Anglo-Saxon shields) Some of the shields also featured a pointy shield boss like shown here (again from the Psalterium Aureum):

dyn003_original_902_1075_pjpeg_2594107_8 

Body Armour (again) was only available to the wealthier horsemen. The body armor they wore is a mail shirt. 

These two images show quite well how Carolingian equipment could've looked like:

4cbef1a909afb057c4ac0f69a910ab05.jpg juytju.jpg 

Suggested unit roster:

Okay, my suggestion for the unit roster is as follows:

• Infantry Spearman
  • Infantry Archer
  • Cavalry Spearman
  • Cavalry Swordsman

Where the cavalry is stronger compared to other civs (such as the Anglo-Saxons, where they were used more like scouts). Yet, they are costlier too

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

saludos encontré una buena pag en español sobre los carolingios y quería compartirla porque ya quiero ver a los scolas repartiendo

Scola es una caballeria de elite caracterizado por usar capas blancas pienso que podria ser un campeon 

ahora comentare estas fotos que publico 

1° son soldados comunes  infantería, caballería con cota de malla y  un arquero 

2° son francos entrando en un fuerte sajón en Alemania 

3° muestra la cantidad de jinetes francos 

4° es un campo de entrenamiento franco notese que estan aventando lanzas , aparte el jinete de cota de malla en la izquierda tiene el casco típico franco 

5° un Scola 

6° jinetes carolingios

https://arrecaballo.es/edad-media/el-imperio-carolingio/

17903622_442375002774289_6680293407190825074_n.jpg

asalto-de-wittekindsberg-783.png

batalla-de-suntel-782-la-scara-carolingia-cargando-contra-los-sajones.png

ejercicios-militares-en-worms-842.png

jinete-carolingio-de-la-scola.png

jinetes-carolingios-siglo-viii-y-x.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Millennium AD (Private message discussions)

Just now, wackyserious said:

CAROLINGIANS

Infantry

• Infantry spearmen
  • Infantry swordsmen

Cavalry

• Cavalry spearmen
  • Cavalry swordsmen

Eastern territory of the Carolingian empire

• Mounted archers or just generalize the cavalry archer and not localize it?
  • Eastern Infantry archers (Thuringians? Sorbs? Bohemians?) or just generalize the archer and not localize it?

Thuringian archer during the 13th century

http://warfare.gq/13/Elisabethpsalter-f139v.htm?i=1

Reveal hidden contents

c0d4a9205931068ff9ec87630fc7a48a.jpg

Bohemian archer during the 14th century

Reveal hidden contents

3590817eeba0c76bfeba5cee20f3c8a3--mediev

Southern territory of the Carolingian empire

• Gascon light infantry (infantry_javelinist)
  • Gascon light cavalry (cavalry_javelinist)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wackyserious said:

@Alexandermb By armor, do you mean the scale armor?

i could try some scale 512x512 plane textures so you can handle them but i was talking about the cavalry armor.

this is where i took the reference of the tower wich can be seen in a lot of references from carolingian, however being the 3 of the faction using scale armors they may need some sort of distinction, the scales for example seem to have differente sizes while others have a basic chainmail. 

Atm only chainmail from 500 to 800 or maybe 900 could work as part 1 but for heavy medieval armor style it can be set around 1000 for part 2 and maybe as a 4th phase update as @Sundiata mentioned in the gameplay features phase distinction.

Spoiler

image.png.937c0e55ac8c1f280eb6f219965ef5c6.pngimage.png.2216e5ae23a11591d465432f9d5b8128.png5a37a362efcbb_ArmsandArmorofaCarolingianHorseman8th-9thcenturies.png.2ca36e35501a7f4da2fa92e281d585b9.thumb.png.c7f04ab83a551ec4dad6789d6eed49d3.pngimage.png.6c980de44a6270ce7dc1621d68eeffdb.pngimage.png.12785e2b9ed54abba50cd14b5285a274.png

Edited by Alexandermb

@Alexandermb I have reused the scale texture that I've made for the Kushites. I'm about to commit the ones below.

12 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Btw house fences will be replaced by eyecandy fences when changed tomorrow, gimme some cavalry armour to bake for carolingian im waiting for the bizantines to have them.

I have a 512x512 copy of the scale armor. Is that what you need? Or a vector copy of the armor itself?

5ad38822086dc_041518-Carolingians(3).thumb.jpg.24e63b7d4d7826f2c3ce5bb3efd3f957.jpg

• Like 3