I am not able to host

yoreei

Hi. First off I want to assure you that I tried very hard and I am fairly experienced but for some reason I am missing something.

I put my computer under DMZ to be sure that port forwarding isn't a problem (My router has problems is port forwarding, it sometimes works, sometimes not, I've lost interest in investigating the problem on this).

-DMZ though works fine and I am able to host an http server on port 80 as well as on port 20595 which works fine to the "outside world".

-I have both my computer's and my router's firewall completely disabled.

-I tried it both on Windows and Linux.

-I USED TO be able to host in the past with the same computer and router which is even more strange

-I am able to host a game between two local computers using the local IP

-And yes, my local IP is static.

What could I be possibly missing?
Thank you

Edited by yoreei

UPDATE: I tried hosting with another computer on the local network. After putting it under DMZ the game was visible to the outside world. I tried again on my previous computer (after returning it to DMZ) but it didn't work. Same router configurations, same operating systems, different results...
The only difference was that the "successful computer" was connected with WiFi while the first one is through LAN. This is the only difference I can see.

Perhaps there's some conflict between the game's automatic UPnP-based port forwarding and your DMZ? If it works fine on another computer with the same configuration on the same network, that narrows down the points of failure to just:

1. Software - some other program might be conflicting with the port 0 A.D. uses. (I know we warn when that happens on UNIX-based operating systems, not sure about Windows)

2. Router - it might be handling WiFi and LAN DMZ/UPnP in subtly different ways.

WiFi vs LAN doesn't matter to 0 A.D. as the operating system abstracts those. I assume you've already tried Googling for hosting issues on your router, but it'd be nice to get your router's make and model anyway. Also, to be able to do more specific troubleshooting, what operating system are you running and what is your level of technical competency (beginner? system admin?).

• Like 1

About:
1)I've tried it on both Windows and Unix but I didn't receive an error message on neither of those. I've also checked netstat on both OSes and there were no other programs using 20595.
2)I'll try with another router in a little and post the results.

I have indeed googled a lot about hosting issues with my router as I have had problems with other games/servers. After a lot of time I figured out that I just have to use DMZ as normal port forwarding isn't reliable on my router.

The model is Linksys WRT160NL and I've flashed the latest firmware upgrade.

The Operating Systems on BOTH computers are Kubuntu 14.04 and Windows 8.1

I'm neither a beginner nor a sys admin. I'd put myself inbetween.

Edited by yoreei

2)I'll try with another router in a little and post the results.

I ran in some problems with my ISP not letting me change the router so I ran the test a little differently. I changed my computer's MAC address to look as if it's my router and plugged it directly to the Internet.

Luckily I was able to host. I think this narrows down the problem to:

2. Router - it might be handling WiFi and LAN DMZ/UPnP in subtly different ways.

I want to thank you to thank you both for you help and patience. Although the problem isn't solved untill I buy another router I think this thread is close to an end.

I'd like to be proven wrong though. I'll be checking if you have some more debuggind tips on this :)

I ran in some problems with my ISP not letting me change the router so I ran the test a little differently. I changed my computer's MAC address to look as if it's my router and plugged it directly to the Internet.

Luckily I was able to host. I think this narrows down the problem to:

I want to thank you to thank you both for you help and patience. Although the problem isn't solved untill I buy another router I think this thread is close to an end.

I'd like to be proven wrong though. I'll be checking if you have some more debuggind tips on this :)

You might be able to get your current router working by flashing dd-wrt (third party firmware), but if you decide to purchase a new router I'd recommend dlink.

What a coincidence! I was just researching on dd-wrt and tomato for solely different reasons. I should have thought it might help with this issue. I hope I'll be able to report back soon so others who have this problem can fix it.