Catapults garrisoned aboard triremes

MiroslavR

Isn't a ship manned with siege units an artillery ship?

Do we already have quinteremes for one of our civilizations? It might be as easy as changing garrisonable classes (those from <Identity></Identity> xml node in the templates) to the ship as:

<GarrisonHolder><!-- Component -->    <!-- Component's init data -->    <List>    Infantry    Siege    </List></GarrisonHolder>

Not sure if it's fully correct but it should be somewhat. At this moment it doesn't have an effect if you garrison those but it might be doable analoguously to the GarrisonArrowMultiplier in the BuildingAI component.

Therefore add this to the above XML:

<!-- ... --><BuildingAI>    <DefaultMeleeAttackValue>10</DefaultMeleeAttackValue>    <GarrisonMeleeMultiplier>1</GarrisonMeleeMultiplier>    <GarrisonMeleeClasses>Melee Ram</GarrisonMeleeClasses></BuildingAI>

Siege weapons should consume more space on boats than other units.

Eg: siege rams, 5, catapults, 10.

So quintrireme factions dont get a big bad bonus at naval combat.

Quintriremes really should be BIG triremes, not "siege ships" (else this could imbalance other factions)

you could have a tech that default set one on it.

You mean a tech that garrisons a catapult in a ship?

Techs can only modify things from the template and I'm not aware of a node in the garrison part of the template that is called "<default_garrison>" or something.

If we added that to the schema, then it might work.

But this ship default garrisoning and population cap should be kept in synch. That means the boat's population cost has to be derived from the default garrison tag.

They don't. Because you need 10 catapults in a boat to get a significant boost, nobody will do it. Because 10 catapults are more valuable than a boat that fire rocks, the bonus is not good enough to be used as it is.

Quinqueremes used to have no garrison multiplier at all, resulting in the ship to be way weaker than a garrisoned trireme. So that made no sense at all. I improved the code to allow catapults to add fire power to quinqueremes. But as I'm a bad balancer, I usually make my stuff underpowered. By making it underpowered, it's not that bad when it gets added to the released game without further balancing. Players just won't use it. Overpowering is way worse, as not every faction has a quinquereme, so it would cause imbalance. So currently, a ship with 10 catapults is about as strong as 5 catapults on the ground.

But the garrison multiplier is at your disposal for better balancing in the meantime.

• 6 months later...

Once again, a ship whose primary fighting ability is ramming has become a weapons platform.

Maybe I was absent that day in history class; but I don't remember any 0ad civil ever bombarding anywhere.

An effective siege weapon would likely flip ships who mostly hugged the coast because they could not handle storms.

Once again, a ship whose primary fighting ability is ramming has become a weapons platform.

Maybe I was absent that day in history class; but I don't remember any 0ad civil ever bombarding anywhere.

An effective siege weapon would likely flip ships who mostly hugged the coast because they could not handle storms.

The ship battle is not enough developed for now. So don't expect great things this an alpha.

The Ptolemaic Tessarakonteres, or Juggernaut, was more along the lines of a floating fortress than a conventional warship, and Heavy Warships, mainly Quinqueremes, will be able to double as siege ships when garrisoned with siege weapons. Ramming functionality hasn't been implemented yet.

• Like 1