AI Issue on my Map?

Jesusfreak

I've just nearly finished my custom map for the recently announced map contest, and everything is working fine except 90% of every match the AI won't attack me... and 100% of the time will never expand their starting territory. They'll build resource related structures, houses, barracks, and a blacksmith, but still won't attack me or expand. Is this issue simply a bug or is a certain area of my map confusing the AI? Can someone please inspect my map for any possible errors hindering the AI logic?

I've put the AI on the hardest settings and waited 15-20 minutes, but they still won't attack me. Only once did the AI attack me with a group of about 15 soldiers within 10 minutes of a match.

Screenshot notes:

- The AI has this problem on both sides

post-16601-0-93015500-1405360797_thumb.p

Edited by Jesusfreak

Just from looking at the image it seems as if there is very little open space for buildings? If so that might be a reason why the AI has got issues on this map.

That's what I was thinking too, but the AI does in fact build all the basic buildings like I mentioned above. They just don't attack or expand from there. I guess I'll just experiment with it some more.

First of all, you should try with Petra. The maps are meant for A17, so Petra will be the default ai there, and aegis might even be removed.

If Petra also doesn't attack, you can open the developer overlay (ALD+D), enable the "Switch perspective", and switch to the ai player. Then you'll see what's happening. If the ai has no resources, you'll see it, if the ai can't build something, you'll see a lot of messages telling it's an invalid location to build stuff.

• Like 1

Try adding resources to the starting positions and see if ai efficiency goes up?

Looking at the picture (zoomed in, ofc) It doesnt like you have many chickens, berries, scattered trees in either location.

that can send AI out of whack.

Edited by auron2401

No, it gives priority to bushes. But if there are none, it gathers from field. So bushes (or absence of bushes) does not explain what has been reported.

May-be it would be better to let the reporter answer the basic questions which have been asked for (A16 or svn, and which AI) before trying to answer ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I used Petra AI on all difficulties. Made both starting locations bigger, and included more starting resources (bushes). Using the developer overlay is very helpful, but unfortunately the pop-up notifications don't seem to indicate any errors relating to the AI not attacking; AI has enough resources, workers, soldiers, and buildings..., yet is still unable to attack.

The Dev overlay does show errors--like telling me that a building can't be built-- but the AI seems to resolve these issues on its own, since they end up successfully building them elsewhere. I can play a match from both locations without any errors, so it appears this is only an AI issue. Perhaps this will be fixed in the next version?

Currently running alpha 16.

Edited by Jesusfreak