A idea to improve short-range pathfinder's performance

After read short-range path source code deeply.

I found a small problem which maybe cause performance degradation.

The root cause is current algorithm can't discard non-silhouette points.

I also read some books.

In GPG2 "Optimizing Points-of-Visibility Pathfinding", it mentioned two optimizations:

"Optimization #1": Only Consider Paths to Silhouette Points

"Optimization #2": Only Consider Paths that Go Around the Corner

So "Optimization #1" may be what we are missing.

Implement "Optimization #1" is very easy, because there are axis-aligned box.

I have written some code in CCmpPathfinder_Vertex.cpp

// Check that the new vertex is in the right quadrant for the old vertexif (!(vertexes[curr.id].quadOutward & quad)){    // Hack: Always head towards the goal if possible, to avoid missing it if it's    // inside another unit    if (n != GOAL_VERTEX_ID)    {        continue;    }}//------------Modified Begin//If this is an axis-aligned shape, discard non-silhouette points easily.if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_BL)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X >= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y >= npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X <= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y <= npos.Y))        continue;if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_TR)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X <= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y <= npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X >= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y >= npos.Y))        continue;if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_TL)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X >= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y <= npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X <= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y >= npos.Y))        continue;if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_BR)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X <= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y >= npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X >= npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y <= npos.Y))        continue;//------------Modified Endbool visible =    CheckVisibilityLeft(vertexes[curr.id].p, npos, edgesLeft) &&    CheckVisibilityRight(vertexes[curr.id].p, npos, edgesRight) &&    CheckVisibilityBottom(vertexes[curr.id].p, npos, edgesBottom) &&    CheckVisibilityTop(vertexes[curr.id].p, npos, edgesTop) &&    CheckVisibility(vertexes[curr.id].p, npos, edges);

it seems faster than before.

Has anyone here could review this code?

Sorry for my broken english...

Edited by chansey
  • Like 1

I believe I tried that when first implementing the algorithm. If I remember correctly, the problem was that sometimes a unit starts from slightly inside a shape or precisely on the edge, and the silhouette-point-detection thing will mean it doesn't see any of the points on that shape at all. That makes the unit pick a very bad path (typically walking to corner of the next nearest building and then back again), which isn't acceptable behaviour.

a unit starts from slightly inside a shape or precisely on the edge, and the silhouette-point-detection thing will mean it doesn't see any of the points on that shape at all.

"silhouette-point-detection thing will mean it doesn't see any of the points"

why? Fixed point precision problem? (I have not stress test it yet.)

I think if it is a rare problem, can we do some dirty trick (eg: add some delta, if it is a precision problem?) and ensure most of time its behavior correct?

Edited by chansey

I have reproduced the issue which Ykkrosh mentioned.

When the point precisely on the edge, we will get a very bad path.

I modify some code in previous patch.

It seems fixed now.

//------------Modified Begin//If this is an axis-aligned shape, discard non-silhouette points easily.if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_BL)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X > npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y > npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X < npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y < npos.Y))        continue; if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_TR)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X < npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y < npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X > npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y > npos.Y))        continue; if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_TL)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X > npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y < npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X < npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y > npos.Y))        continue; if (vertexes[n].quadInward == QUADRANT_BR)    if ((vertexes[curr.id].p.X < npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y > npos.Y) || (vertexes[curr.id].p.X > npos.X && vertexes[curr.id].p.Y < npos.Y))        continue;//------------Modified End
Edited by chansey
  • Like 1

That makes the unit pick a very bad path (typically walking to corner of the next nearest building and then back again), which isn't acceptable behaviour.

Hmm I've seen units doing that with the current implementation, but I don't know if it's caused by the pathfinder.

• 1 year later...