Do you want to help me?

Gronvik

Hello!

I have posted at Tilted Mill (Caesar IV) but not many people seem to read or write there anymore.

I have continued to work on my suggestions for a sequel to Caesar IV.
To try to avoid any copyright issues, I now call it Governor.
I have now come to a point where it might be interesting to
develop some kind of prototype of the game.

Let me be clear about one thing: my aim is not to make money out of it,
my aim is to produce something that might give excitement and joy to
people who appreciate citybuilding games.

There is one big problem though: I can’t program.
What I have so far is a number of word files, excel files and pictures with ideas and outlines of the game.

Would any of you be interested to help me with this project?
Do you have any programming skills?
How can I come in contact with you?

I can’t promise you any other reward but the joy of creating something new.

Sincerely,

Jan
progress.gif

Hi Gronvik, as you might already know, making a video game is something difficult and you'll definitely need help and luck to find people to manage realizing your idea. However, it's still possible to achieve it and you're right to give it a try.

By reading your post, I think you should consider gathering all your ideas/drafts and a robust game design document at some place on the Internet, to attract people able to help you. You absolutely need something to make them feel they really want to see the project finished, and unfortunately saying "it will be a great sequel to Caesar IV" is not enough!

I am personally rather curious about your project and I'd like to know more about this :) But I think it will be easier for you to put all your interesting ideas somewhere than to post it in every forum where someone asks you.

Itms

You don't have to know programming, it's enough to know how to edit XML, to draw (pencil or digital) or know how to create textures or how to model 3D models.

If not, it's still no problem, you can learn editing XML fast.

Though a Github repository would be no bad. And personally I like transparency which fits nicely to open source.

In general I think it could work if you can recruit people from other forums (those in this forum here are already pretty involved and therefore don't have enough time to really move something forward for your Caesar successor).

Do you plan reusing the e.g. Roman factions currently in 0AD, i.e. Roman Republic (and later Empire)?

Excuse my misunderstanding, Gronvik.

I didn't know you not wanted to build upon 0AD or our engine but want to create a game from scratch.

Though I think 0AD is not too far away from a city-building experience and could be turned into one.

And if not 0AD's javascript part, then at least reuse the engine?

• Like 1

Yes, I'd say it wouldn't be too difficult to turn 0 A.D. into a city building game. It would mostly need a different gui, and different simulation scripts. So if you're an artist, you can start working on art for our engine, and some programmer might drop by.

In the mean time, your art can be used as eye-candy here (if you release it as CC-BY-SA), so your work won't be lost.

• Like 2

Personally i Think roman empire city builders have been done to hell. (we're up to.. caesar 4 now? + many others)
Why not try something where there's little competition? Maybe a pre-republican roman city builder. There would be more variety there.

Or how about In the times where the greek city states were just forming? There is much more variety out there which have grander possibilities.... why go for a mock-caesar 5?

I have now created a website about the project called Governor.

http://jangronvik.altervista.org/index.html

Sounds like what you want to do is what was discussed here on the forum already. I call it Hybrid AI, i.e. player takes control of one unit, the AI controls the rest. Others may call it RPG. You may call it taking leadership.

What you want to achieve is what modders try to surrect anyway. Though the Roman timeframe is too rigid + limited + low a goal in my opinion.

Supply lines is what also was planned. I have some frontline work done that could be used to calculate the best / safest + quickest (optimum) paths for supply lines.

We want to give resources a mesh representation, units shall get a more flexible + even better visualized inventory than it already is currently (e.g. when bearing fruits, a basket is currently seen, but we want inventory to have a prop representation, then a building could have ladder attached as inventory/prop which could be grabbed by units or destroyed by enemies ... or lay around as loot when the building is destroyed. .. ).

We might dream a bit much but well ... nothing is impossible. At least not in 0AD.

My recommendation would be to develop the engine further, to create that Hybrid AI functionality, layout supply lines + conditional production chains, .. then the rest will follow with ease.

(as most required artwork already exists, at least for your Roman setting)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...