Towers Discussion thread

auron2401

Information on the enemy is always critical. Unreported enemy actions can have decisive impact on friendly operations. The enemy is seldom static and changing situations must be reported to the commander.

If the enemy is able to build a civic centre + a couple of towers unnoticed then sure you did something wrong in terms of scouting. One of the first things you need to do is locating the enemy and possible locations where it could build such perimeters. Always make sure that you have something of a countermeasure against the enemy that is trying to build a CC close to you.

If an enemy rushes to town phase than it uses all of it's resources for the phase tech rather than building an army. If you notice he's doing so then prepare an army to intercept units that are moving to build a CC.

Nonetheless I agree that towers are a bit stronger than needed.

A Tower upgrade with techs is a way to go i think, Different upgrades for towers.

Indeed. 2 tower upgrades or 3 depending on the civ . Without upgrades tower would be weak, easily taken down by few units, but! Towers must not atack units in its inmediate proximities unless a boiling oil tech that allows a tower to atack enemies who are standing just below is researched, and if that tech is not researched then a single man could take down a tower if he manages to avoid the first aproach. That would solve everything guys. You are just arguing about a problem that has already been solved by another RTS companies many years ago. The balance needs those techs, and a proper tower HP and range progression (range always superior by at least 1 point against the better ranged unit on the game except ranged siege weapons, always!.) Listen to this yellow guy----> :rtfm:

Edited by Blake

I'd also like to say that I am in agreement with you that there should be some very weak tower in the village phase. Personally, I would like it if the outpost fired an arrow (If built in your own territory) and if the outposts could be upgraded into stronger towers in later phases. Preferably on a tower-by-tower basis.

Last I remember, you can garrision one (and only one) unit inside an outpost and that outpost will be able to shoot arrow. So outpost can be a defensive structure too. (though a weak one)

Edited by hhyloc

Remember guys, I completely agree that players should be proactive about not letting buildings go up in the first place. However, that isn't the issue. The issue is how strong buildings (towers especially) once they are up.

I think that a big reduction in pierce and hack armor is the way to go. I also think that going from 20 dmg/s to 100 dmg/s is also a bit too strong when you have ranged units in towers. However if we can make use of sanderd's work on props, have it so that units in towers can actually be targeted, then this somewhat balanced out, imo.

As the game progresses, I also agree that towers should get upgrades to make them stronger as the game goes on.

Since each player has the same ability to build towers, I don't see it as a big problem. But I agree that going straight from weak outposts in village phase to very strong towers in town phase is too much of a jump. It would make sense to either have weaker towers in town phase (simpler) or have weaker towers that can be upgraded ( which would add more complexity).

• Like 1

So the problem cant be resolved by "stop it before it does happen", that's silly elitist thoughts. The problem is that It's an UNBEATABLE STRATEGY if it can be pulled off! and on certain maps, it's far stronger than on others. (mountain passes for ex, are easy as hell to block off)

what on earth are you supposed to do if theres 30 javelin infantry infront of your base building a civ centre with 10+ javcav to guard it? that civ centre will go up in 5 seconds, with the tower up in 10. with current pathfinding, it'll take 30 seconds to organise your army to attack that position. that's a lost battle.

with current balance (assuming pathfinding is perfekt) it's still a lost battle even if you had 60 men.

towers should reinforce positions, not hold them all by themselves right up until siege is avaliable.

If your losing games this way then your opponent is obviously better then you.

Edited by AceWild

In AoK, towers have a minimum range which I think helps them from being overpowered. The villager in AoK can easily take down towers as well, if they can be kept safe from other units.

Also, I don't buy into the civic center strategy being overpowered. As the game currently stands, you can see exactly what an opponent is building in an area that you have explored, even if you have no unit there. You can also see what resources your opponent is collecting as well.

It just requires a bit of scanning in the map to counter any sort of expansionism.

• 1 year later...