Civilization Proposal: Vandals

Usac

I hope I'm allowed to make this.

Though they only lasted a short time as an empirical force, the Vandals were a fascinating bunch: Germanic people ruling from Carthage and adopting horses and possibly camelry into a growing army on land while becoming a dominant naval force.

It's almost the story of rags to riches: The Vandals are much like every other Germanic tribe: displaced by Roman and Hunnic advances through Europe, but it's bad for the Vandali: so bad, that they're mostly driven to the southern edge of Iberia. The only place left to go, is the water. This leads to a life of learning seafaring and a chance to take over Carthage itself. They are the only other barbarians besides the Goths who had the opportunity to actually breach Rome itself.

And it fits the timeline somewhat well.... I hope.

No thamlett, they can't be in the viking civ. (These differ quite much from Vandals)

As for the Vandals itself. Well...

We already have 5 more or less German tribes:

Vikings (not a true German tribe, but relatively comparable), Lombards, Franks, Saxons and Goths.

Since we can't have every faction we dropped a couple of german tribes since we already have so much. And vandals were one of these dropped. Although I agree they were not unimportant in history, they were not significant enough / not different enough to include them as a faction.

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

I don't recall any Goths in Carthage, or any Gothic camelry.

The easiest way to distinguish them is to give them Carthaginian structures, perhaps even a Carthaginian stayle unique naval structure.

Most definitely they'd need a fire ship.

I can see similarities, but a Vandal campaign using Goths would feel awkward.

If it weren't for camelry, a superb navy and a possibly Carthaginian structural look, I'd be okay just calling them just another bunch of European Barbarians... but they weren't in Europe long enough for me to call them that.

I won't say "MUST HAVE!" but... European borne barbarians with camels!

I'll stop suggesting things though, if that's what you'd prefer. I don't want to cause problems.

Edited by Usac

[...]

I'll stop suggesting things though, if that's what you'd prefer. I don't want to cause problems.

No, it is perfect if you do so, but please do not open a topic for everything if there already is a topic for discussing factions ;)

Edited by niektb

• niektb locked this topic