Fighting techniques references

I've been gathering swordfighting techniques as well as other weapons used in 0AD's timeframe to have references for animations that the new meshes will have.

I try to look for realistic/historical techniques rather than hollywood/coreographed moves. I have quite a big list so far, but I thought posting some of them in case someone is interested in fencing techniques... there are some videos that explain well the uses of shield as well as lost techniques that were probably used, as well as slow, easy moves where its easy to extract nice poses and basic stances.

I enjoyed (and learned) a lot while watching them and I think they're quite interesting, so here they are:

Ancient archery technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KC1Os-_NE

Viking bigshield techniques:

• Like 2

I like the part when it's mentioned that soldiers of the front line were replaced by soldiers of the back when wounded. I don't know if it's technically feasible to put such mechanism in the game, but if it is, that would be really really cool.

That's more formation handling than animation. It should be possible in the long run. But it will require some iterations of formation handling.
  • Like 1

I like the part when it's mentioned that soldiers of the front line were replaced by soldiers of the back when wounded. I don't know if it's technically feasible to put such mechanism in the game, but if it is, that would be really really cool.

I think this is supposition on his part. There is still much debate.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More goodies.

Some fancy movements with sword and shield:

Some with spear and shield:

Edit: and some more spear moves:

I don't understand French very much but you can see how these spearmen rotate the spear on hit, which makes that the tip of the spear to not get stuck on the target (difference from 2:26 to 2:55)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...