Victory conditions and code suggestions

Blake

Ok. Hello again. After a while investigating all civs and end game situations, I figured out a way to do this which I hope most people will agree with (this is a set of suggestions, many of them had been made before by other people in this forums, some of them are new though).

List of victory conditions:

1. Conquest--------------(implemented)

2. Wonder----------------(implemented)

3.Kill the king:------------(suggestion): Kill an special unit to win. Players start with 1 fortress so they can use it for protect the king.

4.King of the hill-----------(suggestion) keep in your power an specific area of the map for as long as the game says (in minutes)

4. None--------------- (already in the game, not sure what it does though) Player who kills all enemies or makes a wonder first wins.

Regarding the end game: I made a set of rules which can be used for avoiding the annoying "finding and killing" of the units in a map after a victory.

Let's begin with a battle.

Player 1 versus AI

Player 1 destroys all buildings of the AI

the AI checks if something can be done:

If [there are no buildings to store metals and wood ] or [ there are no worker elephants] and/or [no market] and/or [player resources are: WOOD < CIV CC PRIZE STONE<CIV CC PRIZE METAL<CIV CC PRIZE----------this depends on the CC prize for each CIV, 500 of wood/stone/metal is the normal prize] and [no citizen-military units who can obtain resources by destroying buildings]

then instantly the AI is considered death and loses.

In player versus player, a player can do all of this without programming, but currenly the AI cannot do this as it should be able to do.

also, this suggested actions are not entirely perfect, because if there is some treasure in the map, player can still find a way back to the living. In this specific case player will have 1 min to find treasures and build a base. This is almost impossible to achieve for the player in that time, but it can be done with many workers.

the AI should be able to do this treasure hunting by searching explored lands and being able to recognize the content of those treasures like a player would and trying to do it before the minute ends.

Edited by Blake

If a unit can build a dock, it can start to gather too. Or start to trade with merchant ships.

If a player has only a CC, and no resources to make a unit, he's lost too.

Currently, we use a ConquestCritical flag. As long as there are ConquestCritical entities left, the player isn't defeated. Every unit, and all unit producing buildings have such a flag. It's easy to count (as we can't afford too long calculations every turn to see if a player is lost or not), and it's easy to understand.

We might want to remove the ConquestCritical flag from the units. Though that could mean some players are defeated too early.

If a unit can build a dock, it can start to gather too. Or start to trade with merchant ships.

Currently, we use a ConquestCritical flag. As long as there are ConquestCritical entities left, the player isn't defeated. Every unit, and all unit producing buildings have such a flag. It's easy to count (as we can't afford too long calculations every turn to see if a player is lost or not), and it's easy to understand.

We might want to remove the ConquestCritical flag from the units. Though that could mean some players are defeated too early.

Thanks.I missed those two. They are common late game situations.Also thanks for the information.

There is another condition missing now that I think about it. What about resource sharing between players? if a player receives life saving resources, he can also recover. That flag you are talking about I don't know if it's a good idea. What about two triggers for also solving the

"If a player has only a CC, and no resources to make a unit, he's lost too."?

Trigger number 1: If all CC are gone: then.............(all conditions suggested above activated)

Trigger number 2: If CC is still standing and [no working citizens/workers/fishing ships left] and [no resources for building fishing ship/workers or market] then player defeated.

The number 2 trigger is different in cooperative team gameplay:

MULTIPLAYER

Trigger number 2: If CC is still standing and [no working citizens/workers/fishing ships left] and [no resources for building fishing ship/workers or market] and [all player companions are defeated] then player defeated.

Poor optimized suggestion but if this is achieved with other means, please by all means.

Edited by Blake

Even the lost is reduced.

Are for score like music chairs the last in player with low score in the list is eliminated every 15 minutes

Victory by ruins control or hotspots

Control the relics

Score( normal) wins the team or player with high score

---------------others--------------

Technology race win fist reseach all technologies.

Even the lost is reduced.

Are for score like music chairs the last in player with low score in the list is eliminated every 15 minutes

I would rather pick 20-30 mins, due to current gameplay times. If there are maps with 12 players playing at once in the future, then 15 min it's not such a bad idea

I was thinking about that. In age of empires, when the computer loses all units and has no chance to build more then it resigns. That is bad for players ego. Player usually needs to defeat all the enemy's civ/important buildings to be happy with himself in conquest. In Age of Mythology, computer ai asks you if it can resign every 10 minutes once you have defeated all its units and it has no chance to create more from the CC/military buildings. So maybe Age of Mythology code suits better this game in terms of a situation where the CC is still standing.

• Like 1

What about nomad maps (where you start with just a villager)? You would lose immediately.

Nomadic maps are different. The game lets you build a CC at the beginning before counting on all the possibilities. At least it'll be like that in the future. I think.

• 2 years later...

Game of Thrones mode.

in RTS even 0 AD players  changes their diplomacy. Making alliances and betraying old friends.

but my ide is the game forces change team randomly, starting alliances in the beginning  of match and each time the diplomacy will change get a little pace to prepare that radical chance.

the players can't  change diplomacy .

• Like 1