Scenario Editor crashes if I put over a hundred objects

Keaton the Wise

There is a limit of about 10.000 entities (interactive objects like resource entities) at least the last time I had trouble with that (in my case trees).

AFAIK the number of actors (non-interactive objects like props e.g. shields and decorative plants and stones) is unlimited.

Edited by FeXoR

Does that mean it's probably just my computer's graphics capabilities?

I doubt it. More likely a bug in the engine. Do you really mean over "100" objects? That's not very many, what were you doing when placing them?

Also you should post the logs after the crash (using the above link) and any error messages you received. Is this a consistent crash, or does it only happen sometimes?

There is a limit of about 10.000 entities (interactive objects like resource entities) at least the last time I had trouble with that (in my case trees).

AFAIK the number of actors (non-interactive objects like props e.g. shields and decorative plants and stones) is unlimited.

That may not be relevant anymore, since the SpiderMonkey upgrade and changes to its memory allocation. New tests would be needed for A16. Then again, there is the RangeManager crash/assertion failure that was introduced some time ago, you can encounter that with large numbers of densely packed entities, but you would know if you saw that.
  • Like 1

It's not exactly 100 (that was just an estimation). I was placing legions of soldiers when the editor froze. It happens most of the time when I try to create complicated scenarios, mostly when I'm starting with a big battle. Yes it does happen when I am placing lots of units packed closely together (but not touching). My machine is an Ubuntu 12.04 that can barely handle the graphics involved. I have my suspicions about that being the problem.

Without the log files and system information we can't do anything but guess.

So please upload them (you have to "use full editor" to upload files).

You cannot upload all file formats so maybe best to just zip the log folder (zip files are allowed).

Edited by FeXoR