[Part II] Faction: The Japanese (Late)

Le Druide Gaulois

If we can set the normal velocity then yes. If we can. I know for the planes of Rogue republic Gen.Kenobi has set the velocity to zero but this only works if the emitter object is moving.

The building will not move thus we have a problem with this approach. Though I think it was not intended by Le Druide Gaulois to be horizontal.

Therefore a small fire pit inside will suffice.

lol What was was drown? ;)

The firepit just goes inside of course and will not be visible other than the smoke which will leave the house through the hole in the wall. I

would never dare changing a concept drawing due to my limited knowledge.

Edited by Hephaestion

Gen.Kenobi's approach was a mere hack to set the particle speed relative to the model it is attached to (instead of setting it global). After that there were improvements made to implement it nicely (I discovered that while I was working on the Ashigaru Musketeer). I now know how to create particles and how to change their direction/speed. It's not really difficult.

Edited by niektb

Standard tower on the left, updated version on the right. Changes:

- Bigger shooting range

- Shoots bullets instead of arrows. Bullets go further than arrows and take more hitpoints but are fired in a slower interval

-Gets a nice plataform and a roof window.

I think the castle should be updated in the same way, now using firearms, same texture changing and plataform and roof window additons.

post-16101-0-18214100-1402069207_thumb.j

• Like 1

These towers are from an architectural style very different from that of the earlier Japanese. The most acurate representation of a tower we could give them would look a lot like an outpost, nothing really fancy. Here's a very quick sketch on the civic center, which I plan redoing, I think it represents the Japanese better than the other one I've done. The garden and the lake inside would be a very important part of it. What do you guys think?

post-16101-0-87488000-1402089700_thumb.j

The new CC is fine. The fence's roof has changed. The rest I could easily throw in to the old one.

The towers are high class. The upgrade idea is great though I should note that currently we can't upgrade the simulation part of the building (that means the building's range won't increase. It's no prob, I have a workaround which is more realistic as side-effect as no building really shoots arrow by itself. With the workaround the addition of the canons is easily possible thanks to Sander's late breakthrough with prop points / turrets)

Each building will be upgradable once via a tech with upgrade arrow image for easy visual recognition. The tech will be available for a subset of the buildings (e.g. houses, tower, castle, fortress).

In addition there will be smaller upgrades.

The civic center is the only exception and will be upgradable three times instead of only once (changing the actor each time using Sander's incredible Actor change on tech research). The only new for the CC will be that it will change its look as per phase, making our ventures much more realistic.

Thanks for the drawings. We will hopefully finish the Mod Configurator soon and then I'll be back at prop points + modeling.

Thanks a lot. The fence is just like the dojo's, but I was lazy to draw the tiles :). No problem if the range can't be increased. It's great to know the CC will chane it's looks everytime an age is advanced, this would give the player the solid impression he's evolving in history. As for the castle, I think that at least for the Japanese, it would be avaliable earlier, since it acts mostly as barracks. Here's another angle of the new CC, just the main construction (perhaps we can shorten the passarel that links both buldings)

post-16101-0-91389400-1402269204_thumb.j

• Like 2

I now can see what I missed in the last model: The top planks and posts were missing. Also the upper level features windows and no doors and there is no chance to walk around the upper level.

Am I right, if I state that the upgraded building (not epoch-upgraded but village to city-phase in this case) will simply add another level in the main building (or add this walkaround of the upper level) and add more garden props?

Perhaps even changing the road that leads through the garden from dust to stony? (i.e. a texture change, in this context I wonder if adding a texture for each phase makes sense. For each epoch of course it makes sense as differences are significant enough. The question here is rather if it makes sense for advancing phases too (e.g. for changing the road or roof texture).)

Edited by Hephaestion

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a proposed list of units. Note that those are merely descriptions rather than definitive names:

INFANTRY

-Samurai

-Ashigaru Arquebuser ("musketeer")

-Ashigaru Pikeman

-Sensei (martial arts master)

-Ronin

-Warrior Monk

-Archer

CAVALRY

-Mounted Samurai

-Mounted Pikeman

SUPPORT

-Male Peasant

-Female Peasant

-Ox cart

-Shinto Priest

Just some I thought of. I also think that the samurai would be the most powerful infantry unit in the game, so, not to give the Japanese too much vantage over other civilizations, the samurai would be very expensive and would have a limit of 10 trained by castle ( that is, 20 in totality, since there are both mounted and unmounted classes). This also agrees with the fact that, since the samurais were nobles, they would exist in much smaller number than other warriors. The ronin, in the other hand would have no limit and would be trained in the dojo. We need to figure out more hand-to-hand units.

Edited by Le Druide Gaulois
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Typical army composition for a late Sengoku jidai army (1570+):

- Daikyu Ashigaru: professional warrior equipped with a longbow, a cheap katana, tatami-do armour and jingasa helmet

- Nagae Yari Ashigaru: professional warrior equipped with a long pike, tatami-do armour and jingasa helmet

- Teppo Ashigaru: professional warrior equipped with an arquebuse, a cheap katanan, tatami-do armour and jingasa helmet

- Naginata Ashigaru: professional warrior equipped with a naginata, tatami-do armour and jingasa helmet (Rarely used)

- Bo Hiya Zutsu Ashigaru: professional warrior equipped with an arquebuse that shoots rockets, a cheap katana, tatami-do armour and jingasa helmet (Rarely used)

- Bakugeki Shu Ashigaru: professional warrior equipped with Mongol fire bombs, a cheap katana, tatami-do armour and jingasa helmet (Rarely used)

- Daikyu Samurai Kihei: noble pony cavalry equipped with a longbow, a katana, a tosei gusoku armour and kabuto helmet

- Yari Samurai Kihei: noble pony cavalry equipped with a spear, a tosei gusoku armour and kabuto helmet

- Kiju Samurai Kihei: noble pony cavalry equipped with an arquebuse, a katana, a tosei gusoku armour and kabuto helmet (Rarely used)

- Daikyu Samurai: noble warrior equipped with a longbow, a katana, tosei gusoku armour and kabuto helmet

- Teppo Samurai: noble warrior equipped with an arquebuse, a katana, tosei gusoku armour and kabuto helmet

- Yari Samurai: noble warrior equipped with a spear, tosei gusoku armour and kabuto helmet

Siege weapons: wooden and iron cannons, mortars, mangonels, rocket cannon (Rare. Due to the location of Japanese castles, they often couldn't be used.)

Swords were not used as primary weapons. Japanese iron was cheap and katanas easily broke. Besides, they are useless against long spears, pikes and lamellar armour.

Ships:

- Kobaya: small wooden rowing ships with a mixed crew

- Ju Bune: medium wooden rowing ship with a mixed crew

- Butsu Bune: big wooden rowing ship with a mixed crew

- Sengoku Bune: a wooden rowing ship with sails and a mixed crew

- Atakebune: big wooden rowing ship with iron plating

- Kanon Bune: medium-sized wooden rowing ship with Western cannons

Japanese ships were nothing more than platforms for troops. Boarding was the primary tactic.

And here's a Genpei army:

- Daikyu Bushi Kihei: noble pony cavalry equipped with a longbow, a tachi, an oyoroi armour and a Heian kabuto

- Daikyu Bushi: noble warriors equipped with a longbow, a tachi, an oyoroi armour and a Heian kabuto

- Naginata Bushi: noble warriors equipped with a naginata, an oyoroi armour and a Heian kabuto

- Daikyu Gennin: attendants equipped with a longbow, a tachi, an oyoroi armour and a Heian kabuto

- Naginata Gennin: attendants equipped with a naginata, an oyoroi armour and a Heian kabuto

- Daikyu Shimobe: policemen equipped with a longbow, a tachi and cheap armour

- Naginata Shimobe: policemen equipped with a naginata and cheap armour

With the introduction of the kondei reforms, Japan got rid of conscripted peasants (T'ang system) and introduced a small, but elite army of professional warriors.

Edited by Destin Faroda

• Stan` pinned this topic