Horn Players to boost Morale?

Sanguivorant

Just a speculation. Would it be too much work to make a unit that, when commanded, plays a horn that temporarily boosts either hitpoints or attack of units in its aura? Is it even a necessary component to add?

It would almost be like Arkantos in Age of Mythology, who temporarily boosts the attack of nearby units when he attacks, and then it takes some time to recharge the special.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

why do i need dev help, i can simply make a mod of :)

I want this one official, if they don't want ,yeah make the mod.

In order have many option for main game I want a complete pack of mod for main game, some like "0A.D extended edition"

Full pack mods

Options

Extras

Even using ideas from other mods like conversion, like water aura bonus, etc.

Many of my ideas is from my oldest topic.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15172

Abilities and spies( special units) are not included in that list yet.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

i think the best option for morale boosting units would be heroes: not only would their very presence inspire those around them to fighting harder ("Look! We ride with Caesar himself! We can't possibly lose now!") but conceivably they could have special abilities along the lines of ones presented in Empire Earth and Age of Mythology. namely, depending on what they did historically (or if they are historically documented as having done so, or if there are legends about it) heroes could have battlecries which either lower enemy morale or boost allied morale in an area of effect. other powers/special attacks could be included as well (to take a page out of AOM's book, an archer hero known for his skills with a bow could have an "accurate shot" special attack where, every once in a while, he fires an arrow with 100% accuracy and for greater damage), but that's kinda deserving of its own thread, and realistically i can only see battlecries or similar things being useful for morale (for example, instead of a battlecry, a hero could blow a horn that they have, which otherwise has the exact same effect)

• Like 1

It would be an idea for each faction to have its own morale-boosting unit. A druid for the Britons, Eagle-bearer for the Romans, someone would no doubt have a horn

i think the best option for morale boosting units would be heroes: not only would their very presence inspire those around them to fighting harder ("Look! We ride with Caesar himself! We can't possibly lose now!") but conceivably they could have special abilities along the lines of ones presented in Empire Earth and Age of Mythology. namely, depending on what they did historically (or if they are historically documented as having done so, or if there are legends about it) heroes could have battlecries which either lower enemy morale or boost allied morale in an area of effect. other powers/special attacks could be included as well (to take a page out of AOM's book, an archer hero known for his skills with a bow could have an "accurate shot" special attack where, every once in a while, he fires an arrow with 100% accuracy and for greater damage), but that's kinda deserving of its own thread, and realistically i can only see battlecries or similar things being

useful for morale (for example, instead of a battlecry, a hero could blow a horn that they have, which otherwise has the exact same effect)

Sounds good to me.

We must distinguish though.

Many mentioned ideas can be just right away be modded by using Aura.

What we need is

ability-/talent technologies per unit type.

OR

to have a custom talent-/ability system on a per entity-/unit- base.

Thus we need to have button per unit which can trigger this action once a while (with recovery function, but probably we could even leave this out, as only the AI could have all its special units use this special action, e.g. blowing the horn all the time. And why should a unit not use its horn all the time?).

The other possibility is to have it as a separate attack type:

- Friendly morale boost attack.

- Enemy morale anti-boost attack.

The attack animation and sound (e.g. if a Druid speaks a magic formula or if a Trumpeter trumpets) is something that is defined in the unit's XML.

The advantage of the Attack types is that the units will automatically attack this way. Just like our converting priest which idanwin developed.

In either case we need to trigger the Aura effect ... because we don't have trampling damage or more general: spread- or non-focused attack.

On the other note, it would be perhaps a bit better for most horn players to cause a morale penalty to the enemy. Basic units would be affected most, while champions would be least affected.

We needed a resistance on a per unit- or per unit-type base then. (depending on what performance allows)

The resistance would be a stat/attribute . If we had such an attribute/skill system, then we could have talents/skills which influence the stats directly. (yet it still sounds to me as if those talents/skill-ups just could be technologies to be researched. Of course the tech-system has to be reworked to have a real traversable tree, but that's what Mythos also wants anyway)

I think aura boosts should be left to heroes, yes. But having distinct warning alarms for each civilization would be neat. I'd love to hear the Carnyx when I'm under attack and I'm playing as the Gauls.

i agree. an alternative/addition would be a combination of what was used in AOE and Empire Earth: in addition to a horn signal for an attack, a voice yells "We are under attack!" or some variation. unlike other instances of conceivable voice acting for the game, this is one that i'd recommend is done in English: e.g., as opposed to the Roman warning being in Latin, it's spoken in English with an Italian accent (perhaps even a Roman Italian accent, if such exists?)

Actually I've had an idea about abilities in general in RTS.

Would it be possible to have units have a "group ability"? e.g. a group of archers could be selected and together they could use an ability called "volley" which blankets an area with damage, kind of like psi storm in starcraft.

you could select half your archers at a time and spread damage over a large area, or you could select all your archers and concentrate all your damage on a single area.

I think this could be cool. ._.

guys i'm more excited now than I was on xmas eve when I was 8.

• Like 1

Actually I've had an idea about abilities in general in RTS.

Would it be possible to have units have a "group ability"? e.g. a group of archers could be selected and together they could use an ability called "volley" which blankets an area with damage, kind of like psi storm in starcraft.

you could select half your archers at a time and spread damage over a large area, or you could select all your archers and concentrate all your damage on a single area.

I think this could be cool. ._.

guys i'm more excited now than I was on xmas eve when I was 8.

i think the same.

But each feature, are long wait, example things like bell was featured in last 15, formation( animations in 16)

Walls in alpha 8, heal in Alfa 9 may be I'm wrong with some dates. I'm modder and is a lot of work, even doing a building is a work of many hours and days.

Abilities nobody say a position with this, I want some blizzard gameplay without lost AOE style.