Wells, water, and livestock

aiden

First of all, nice to meet you all! :D

My name is Aiden and I'm a big fan of RTS games, and I found out about 0 a.d like a month ago. (really love this game and I'm also glad to see that's it's still in development, means that it can be expanded)

btw, I'm not a native english speaker so I hope you could understand my english :3

Anyways, I thought about a really cool feature that can add something new to the game (and make it a bit more interesting)

Adding Wells feature to the game, making 'water' a resource.

Women could go to lakes, and bring water to the wells, and the water will be a criteria for making livestock animals / horses on stable (if you'll add stables).

Stables and such should have an incoming amount of water so that animals could be produced (making it different from basic resources like food, wood, stone etc)

There could only be 1 / 2 well per territory, so people won't be able to make huge amounts of wells (making it unrealistic)

I personally think It would be pretty darn cool watching women walking with jugs on their heads, and It'll add a factor that doesn't really exist on RTS games (not that I know of)

What do you think? Will it make it more interesting, or rather more difficult? It'll make rushing less easy but building and planning more strategic, creative, realistic and such.

I wanna hear your opinions about this idea, so please don't spare with words :3

(BTW, I hope this is the place to post this idea, since i've seen the pinned is post is unactive for like 10 years lol)

• Like 1

that is a good idea and if the 0 A.D. team doesn't make it you can mod the game and add wells and a water resource if you so desire

i think if rightly implemented it would work fine

if you don't add stables horses could just cost a certain amount of water. or just need a well with a good water supply to train them or something

• Like 1

I don't think it would add much to the game, we already have 4 kinds of resource (not counting population resource) and players already have to expand and capture territory to secure those resource. Adding more resource would introduce more micromanagement than needed, especially if this water resource only needed to produce livestock.

Talking about water, there is this game I played sometime ago that have only 2 resources: food and water. Water must be gathered from wells, lakes or streams and bring back to the base. If your building is on fire you must use water to extinguish it or else to building will take more damage over time and destroyed. If the water ever get added, extinguish burning buildings can be another aspect, but even then I think it kinda require more work from the player's side.

Edited by hhyloc
  • Like 1

I like the idea of wells being a thing in the game. I've had similar thoughts for the past couple of years, but never wrote them down. My thoughts were that "water" wasn't another resource, but augmented your econ in some way. I settled on 2 possible ideas:

1. Capture a well like you'd capture a sheep (or make it a little harder, like capturing a building or mercenary camp, but the idea is still the same: you task a unit to it) and it would either make your units train faster or make your farms more profitable.
  2. Wells are always neutral, but are an unlimited food source to which you can task a unit to bring buckets of water back to your base. It adds to your "food" stockpile just like any other "food" resource.

So something like one of the options above.

• Like 2

1. Capture a well like you'd capture a sheep (or make it a little harder, like capturing a building or mercenary camp, but the idea is still the same: you task a unit to it) and it would either make your units train faster or make your farms more profitable.

I like this, the captured well could made your farms more profitable. This makes me thinking: what if you can build your farm around it and those farm will receive a slight bonus to production rate and maybe unit around it will receive a (very) small healing rate?

Or should the well will benefit all your farms? The former is more interesting IMO, it require to player to actively capture and maintain a small farming colony, repel enemy's attacks in exchange for a boost in farming.

Edited by hhyloc
  • Like 2

I like the idea of wells being a thing in the game. I've had similar thoughts for the past couple of years, but never wrote them down. My thoughts were that "water" wasn't another resource, but augmented your econ in some way. I settled on 2 possible ideas:

2. Wells are always neutral, but are an unlimited food source to which you can task a unit to bring buckets of water back to your base. It adds to your "food" stockpile just like any other "food" resource.

So something like one of the options above.

Couldn't we have both? I like option 2 too, since it would make for a good siege centerpiece. Historical sieges have been made or broken by the existence or non-existence of strategic wells.

well on the idea of water, i partialy added your idea, all you would have to do is make the wells and replace a few things to change my "sandpit"(acctuly farm but gives you water) then change the cost of animals to use water then tada you would be mostly done with water and livestock, but you would have to modify the water part(IE: Lake water,rivers,oceans and other bodies of water)

Edited by MuteLovestone
  • Like 1

back when settlements (a la AOM) were planned, i remember suggesting once that the actual settlements are represented by wells, which you build your settlements around (these wells having been built years before the game takes place by the last people to live in the area). wells as a captureable location would work pretty well, though

back when settlements (a la AOM) were planned, i remember suggesting once that the actual settlements are represented by wells, which you build your settlements around (these wells having been built years before the game takes place by the last people to live in the area). wells as a captureable location would work pretty well, though

I agree with that for nomad mode, may be if are a pre settlement like a well and some huts or camps can be build over that like AoM.