adding new resources (ie water, and Cloth)

FueledByOCHD

I think it would be great if we added a new resource in the lines or "motivation" or "faith". Remember in Age of Mythology that you could send greek villagers to play at the temple? Maybe this is something we could add, since having a temple for the sole purpose os priest-training is a waste.

We could also take some inspiration from AOE3: The Warchiefs, where the native peoples had a "firepit", where they would perform a variety of dances with the intent of improving unit production, war performance, so on. In 0ad different kinds of rituals could be performed at the temple, with the presence of villagers, to assure certain effects. What do tou think?

That's what we thought too. favor is another term for it.

Look at oshron's fabulous list for different types of favour.

The Warchiefs, where the native peoples had a "firepit", where they would perform a variety of dances with the intent of improving unit production, war performance, so on. In 0ad different kinds of rituals could be performed at the temple, with the presence of villagers, to assure certain effects.

Sounds like a new type we could add to the list.

Also we should keep it general. Such that favor can be gathered in many ways. And finally this favor is available for

- influence on production,

- weather,

- luck,

- priests,

- morale boost,

Any more?

(Thus favor will be a new resource just like water and obsidian. Which may be spent in all kinds of different ways.)

Edited by Hephaestion
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't add any more resources this only makes the game more complex ..... time and time again I see many new RTS gamers leave because there is far to many elements in RTS games... adding more resources will just make the game less popular.

they talking to substituting a existent for gaming proposites, here is for mods.

Don't add any more resources this only makes the game more complex ..... time and time again I see many new RTS gamers leave because there is far to many elements in RTS games... adding more resources will just make the game less popular.

It's in the modding forum. The main game probably won't add any new resources, but modders can do whatever they want.

We can't really do any harm. If we compare how many mods even those commercial games like total war produce and how few modders we are here, then I think we can't do much harm with creating new resources. ;) (if in every computer science department we had some flyers at the wall with some screenshots, then we could pretty quickly almost have more developers than users. All those talents (coder + artists + historians) in commercial fora if they knew there were the same genre being developed open source in concert with the whole planet and with so many possibilities, then those might perhaps come to our aid.)

We already have plenty of resources (e.g. food is subdivided in corn, fruit, ..) thus why not add water as another subtype?

I understand we have to be careful to keep micro down, but I can't really see why new resources should be problematic. Me personally I would love to see units bear water from rivers and waterholes or wells. In Settlers there were heaps of resources of different kind and wasn't it successful?

Was Anno a failure? .. to me all those resourcs made it appear realistic and it was so fascinating.

• Like 3

I cant see how more resources is a bad thing.... I think its good for a strategy game the more the better if its getting to hard for some they maybe better play some arcade game :D

Acewild: I see many new RTS gamers leave because there is far to many elements in RTS games.

LOL then there not real RTS Players.

do you mind, this post is for me, if you dont like that i add resources, dont download my mod, i dont care now stop trying to tell people what to do, excuse me if i can manage more resources then you, i am proud to do so. now please leave your criticism to yourself, if you dont like what people do, tough keep it to yourself

• Like 4

@AceWild: He didn't mean it to sound harsh. Neither meant I. I think your point of criticism is fair for 0A.D. as it currently is. Though it might be different for mods.

Also isn't StarCraft 2 essentially the alien among RTS? people tend to be much more interested in how the future could be than what the history looked like.

Otherwise there'd not been that many wars.

(interest in foreign alien worlds is high, just look at conspiracy theory or search for free energy and you get an idea of the dimensions)

Edited by Hephaestion