Age of Empires: World Domination

Jeru

Man, with Games For Windows Live taking Age of Empires Online down in July, I was down about who was going to step up and make the next AoE - and figured they had to give up on it since the break-apart of Ensemble Studios and the scattering of all the original developers of the game.

Nonetheless, I am still happy to see they are still trying to keep it alive. Even if it is a mobile version, maybe this one might make enough money to set forth the next AoE?

I mean, when a new expansion to a classic game with a strong following is tied to an HD re-release of the game, and the HD re-release itself probably could have been done as a free patch to the original game instead of as a new edition, like how Firefly Studios did the HD patches for Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader, and Stronghold Crusader Extreme. Its very hard to not feel a little cheated, or at the very least taken advantage of.

Edited by Zeta1127

Micro-transactions are unfortunately in the future for several games. The newer generation consoles are a prime example of it. For instance, I have Fortza Motorsport 5 on my Xbox One and one of the cars for online racing requires that you win an INSANE amount of races (that means coming in first) in order to get this car - alternatively you can pay I think it was $30 and above to get the car automatically. It's usually the Publishers that aim to make the most money out of it rather than the developers at points.

Of course they could have done the HD re-touch up for free, however, that would be very unlikely. Developers are unfortunately losing a bit of money because of things like used games, borrowing games, and/or piracy. Thus, they have to find a way to make all of that money they are losing to things like that back so they do not go out of business. Remember the music industry problem back in the early 2000s because tons of people were downloading hit music illegally that really hit the music industry hard? This is KIND OF similar, although the only difference is there is constant and rapid growth in the video game industry - so it is not that great a problem, but it still is a problem. The Video Game industry alone is expected to grow 22% in worth by 2017.

I just recently took a GSP class in September of 2013, so my mind is really fresh on this, and I also did a paper on it. Hence, they will continue to charge $20+ for a simple HD graphics amp and improvements of a lot of features, while also restoring the multiplayer, because money is involved. And quite honestly, the cycles that developers work now, they deserve good pay. I mean, some full feature games come out every year - let that sink in on how many programmers and artists are involved day-to-day with that.

Anyway, that was an off-topic subject I wanted to get into. Either or, I encourage the idea of Age Of Empires on mobile devices, although they would really have to water it down from the original games in order for it to play smoothly and with an easy user interface.

Edited by David_J_Rogers
  • Like 1