[Project] Fantasy Mod

FueledByOCHD

Hello, i know that it is 0ad but i am hopeing to form a team or become part of a team that would like to bring some Fantasy type content to 0ad, ie. magic type upgrades, expanding magic users Ie Healers

i want to bring alot more things into the mix, currently learning fully how to mod 0ad but so far i am just wanting to get some peoples ideas about this type of mod

List of current ideas

Shapechanger.
Flying carpet.
Magic items.
Portals.
Alchemists. (though they might fit into the historically accurate mods too)
walls that can regrow(ie walls made of vines so they regrow instead of repair)
same with buildings
Vampire effects (turning the dead)
Reanimation (ZOMBIES!!! RUN lol)
controllable animal units, ie Dogs, Rhino's
converting animals
maybe powers ie spells?
Skeletons (biped and quadruped).
Goblins.
Dwarves.
Elves.
Interconnecting elements like humans and horses.
More exotical art work (towers with some effects, though the buildings for fantasy are a huge effort).

please if anyone else has ideas please post and i will add to our list

Edited by MuteLovestone

Hello, i know that it is 0ad but i am hopeing to form a team or become part of a team that would like to bring some Fantasy type content to 0ad, ie. magic type upgrades, expanding magic users Ie Healers

i want to bring alot more things into the mix, currently learning fully how to mod 0ad but so far i am just wanting to get some peoples ideas about this type of mod

0 A.D. is there to mod (at least for me) and therefore you're welcome to mod.

There are people around who have some similar ideas, av93 for example is working on a battle for wesnoth mod.

• Like 1

If you wish to join forces, Veridagorin and my humble self also have plans for a fantasy mod. May you join our Council of Modders?

Do you have GitHub already? We can setup a repository to keep things modular. The repository can be called repository, can't it?

Any wish? (theoretically multiple fantasy repositories are thinkable, e.g. for different settings/timeframes just like for 0AD. e.g. Harry Potter like, LoTR-like, or general magic.) At first I think a general fantasy repository would be fine. The planned mod manager should allow to define mod packs out of all our assets on the fly. (to avoid redundancy) So if you are fine with fantasy or magic or have any other idea, then we will arrange.

Do you wish to join our group PM too? (notifications can be turned off)

• Like 1

1) (off topic) your pic reminds me of the move "the last samurai)

2) Thanks, well ill try to make it a project after i get more in line with the scripts, sence i know nothing of textures and 3d models

3) So give your ideas about what you think would work as far as fantasy type things you would like to see in a mod

At a later point we could divide into horror-fantasy and magic-fantasy. As to which monsters are horror and which not is a difficult question though.

Would be useful to join our list in the first post - can you copy it in there?

Converting animals, you are right.

• Shapechanger.
  • Flying carpet.
  • Magic items.
  • Portals.
  • Alchemists. (though they might fit into the historically accurate mods too)
  • Like 1

@MuteLovestone

Hi and welcome to the most active section on the forum, where it's all happening :)

Firstly, I like your idea of a fantasy mod, though I like a normal RTS rdealing with antiquity, there are times I need my heroes of might & magic fix lol ;)

Couple questions;

What type of fantasy are you envisioning? There many flavours and types.

wizards / dragons / battle mages

Necromantic armies VS Mages

Tooth ferries VS Toothless toddlers

There's lots.

Also do you have any personal modding skills? We could submit recruitment ads specially for this effort.

The repository can be called repository, can't it?

lmao

The repository can be called repository, can't it?

lmao
I must have been drunk.

Agreed Romulus.

I also wonder if it's compatible with Veridagorin's mod, perhaps we can integrate both in one? Must not.. we can have more flavours as we can reuse our modules in any matter.

As Lovestone has knowledge of C#, I think there are really no modding issues as C# is quite similar to Java(Script).

Your list ... omg.. what are tooth boats btw? Or did you mean fairies? Should not become that confused like me. :D

Haha

A lot of these ideas I was already going to include with my mod or would be very compatible

and many of these ideas fit very well into the Imaldra faction

Shapechanger.

Magic items.

Portals

same with buildings

so whats the difference between zombies and skeletons?

i'm including a goblin race in my mod

and a dwarven race

Shapechanger.

Magic items.
Portals.
Alchemists. (though they might fit into the historically accurate mods too)
same with buildings
Goblins.
Dwarves.
More exotical art work (towers with some effects, though the buildings for fantasy are a huge effort).

• Like 1

well i was planning on at least

3 versions

1) Mythology(1 faction for each mythology type)

2) Pure Magic

3) Horror fantasy

difference between zombies and skeletons

1) zombies have no ability to use weapons

2) skeletons have the knowledge of the past ie better with weapons

3) zombies have group mentality

4) zombies have the smell of rotting flesh

as far as modding, i have a great knowledge of c# and visual basics

what i can do is when i get home i can write up a few plans of what i have then i will attach it when im done with it

and like you suggested to veridagorin i am already in middle of store and after while will be making a whole mod based on story

but as 0ad is already getting skeletons, (at least they look more like skeletons then zombies) we will not really need to add

well i was planning on at least

3 versions

1) Mythology(1 faction for each mythology type)

2) Pure Magic

3) Horror fantasy

difference between zombies and skeletons

1) zombies have no ability to use weapons

2) skeletons have the knowledge of the past ie better with weapons

3) zombies have group mentality

4) zombies have the smell of rotting flesh

as far as modding, i have a great knowledge of c# and visual basics

what i can do is when i get home i can write up a few plans of what i have then i will attach it when im done with it

and like you suggested to veridagorin i am already in middle of store and after while will be making a whole mod based on story

but as 0ad is already getting skeletons, (at least they look more like skeletons then zombies) we will not really need to add

Cool :)

We'll be happy to put you in our programming team (y)

Also, would you know of others that will would like to assist you in this mod? Like any artists, 2D-3D, modelers that sort of thing? We'll be happy to include them in as well.

We could join efforts and translate his work into JSON and XML files, could we? Then we need the models and there you are. (textures too, engine does not like bare models without textures, graceful engine :))

Without the textures we might make it. I fear the texturing most. And then the animations .. this might take years then. Best exclude them first.

We could join efforts and translate his work into JSON and XML files, could we? Then we need the models and there you are. (textures too, engine does not like bare models without textures, graceful engine :))

Without the textures we might make it. I fear the texturing most. And then the animations .. this might take years then. Best exclude them first.

Maybe it is a good idea to get not fragmented too much?

True. We better not start such efforts before the author of that site really helps us.

That's also why we should consider to share the content of Veridagorin's and MuteLovestone's mod. The story each Mod-leader can develop individually. The art efforts at least should be joined on one Fantasy project at max I guess.

Otherwise we fall into redundancy.

We can add special derivations (of meshes, textures, ...) later on. The question is if MuteLovestone is fine with combining the art efforts? The concepts and story can still be put into xml and json files independently. (as this will be no problem for MuteLovestone .-- our biggest problem is rather the art team.)

Edited by Hephaestion

yea im fine with it. Just call me mute. i would love to work with a team. as i am always willing to help other and learn im willing to do whatever i need to.

As far as fragmenting i belive it may be good to wait a while till we have enough people to do the art and animation part. what we need a good catchy name for the combined project and then for the smaller individual projects

• Like 1

That's good news, Mute! Where do we seed the first regrowable buildings? :)

For the names I think Veridagorin has settled, War for Anorithia. As this mod is so far-reaching I would opt to put all artwork in there and link the (sub-)mods that you need too into you repository via mod-dependency files. (That's what I'm working on in the mod manager.)

If we later have to modify 3D models or xml files from Anorithia to adapt it to yours, then we need three repositories like you said.

E.g. one general one which you load first and then your specific mod-pack will be loaded thereafter to override already existing files. The mod then is started like this for testing:

<path-to-0ad-repository>/binaries/system/pyrogenesis[.exe] -mod=generic-fantasy -mod=<your_mod>

The first step will be to create the Civilisation XML files. Rodmar and Zophim always create a document for that. E.g. this Egypt Google Doc example.

Or like Veridagorin already started in his forum topic -- though I would put all data into the first post which then can be edited. Otherwise we have to look for all parts we need in the whole topic which might be tedious. (I'm currently also working on a generator, that generates the XML and JSON files for us. see here)

If you start a topic for it and always edit the first post, this might be no problem for any solution we find later on. As we could still parse the forum topic to get the XML and JSON files out of it. Though you should use BBCode for lists e.g..

If it's only one big chunk of text, then it will be difficult to parse automatically lateron.

alright so i should get started on translating that one webpage you gave me over or should we help the other fantasy mod first?

right now i have four big questions

1) do i go for historial accuracy like 0ad

2) do i have to worry about the finer things atm

3) do i make general fantasy factions or strict factions

4) Ie do i start with like a mage faction?

alright so i should get started on translating that one webpage you gave me over or should we help the other fantasy mod first?

right now i have four big questions

1) do i go for historial accuracy like 0ad

2) do i have to worry about the finer things atm

3) do i make general fantasy factions or strict factions

4) Ie do i start with like a mage faction?

1) i try to go for historical accuracy with armor and weapons but since you are doing a fantasy mod there is not much closer you can get than that.

2) you should first get a rough idea at what you are doing. how many factions you will add possible bonuses or unique features in each faction. possible big changes to the game.

3) strict factions? (do you mean like making each individual nation?) well if you don't have strict factions in mind. it would be good to start out with general base factions ex: (men, dwarves, elves, goblins etc.) and then after you have the base cultures down spread them out into different factions.
4) start with the faction that you are most thrilled about adding at the moment (it might be wise to start with an easier faction so that you can learn the ropes of modding before you get onto the harder ones)