[Collection] Design Docs

Lion.Kanzen

This awesome, but if I may say something, maybe you should make them more uniform, like using the same pattern. You can still play with colors, but having logos incrusted, on it and blended don't look really nice IMO.

I'm try to mix several techniques. Like illustrator, Photoshop and blender.

maybe you should make them more uniform, like using the same pattern.

Staying uniform within a mod pack? I'm not sure .. every timeframe uses every colours and the whole palette of variation.

For me when I opened this thread I felt like blown away on a higher level .. really it impressed me alot. The first and the third are my favorites. Though the second has a good relation to Etruscan probably because of the reptile skin. Okay, might be I'm totally wrong here. Perhaps it's a silver shield. It's also not looking bad the more I look on it.

Still the forth also has some interesting appearance to me, the colours are interesting, something royal, a bit antithetik.

The third's colours and effects in the center are undescribable (amazing).

The first ... well ... it was the first I saw and this one is really wow. It's wow and nothing less. Lion rocket now even has a sail ingame, together with Enrique. Stanislas' art also is finding its way in. Well done, councillors. You are far superior to my minor self. My bow will serve in the least and tinyiest and most dangerous part of the battle whilst your high honour will stand next to the colourful lord herself, capable men in shiny colours on horses of glory, knowing how to push the world the few inches to change it dramatically. My bow will serve you, my armour might shield you.

Staying uniform within a mod pack? I'm not sure .. every timeframe uses every colours and the whole palette of variation.

For me when I opened this thread I felt like blown away on a higher level .. really it impressed me alot. The first and the third are my favorites. Though the second has a good relation to Etruscan probably because of the reptile skin. Okay, might be I'm totally wrong here. Perhaps it's a silver shield. It's also not looking bad the more I look on it.

Still the forth also has some interesting appearance to me, the colours are interesting, something royal, a bit antithetik.

The third's colours and effects in the center are undescribable (amazing).

The first ... well ... it was the first I saw and this one is really wow. It's wow and nothing less. Lion rocket now even has a sail ingame, together with Enrique. Stanislas' art also is finding its way in. Well done, councillors. You are far superior to my minor self. My bow will serve in the least and tinyiest and most dangerous part of the battle whilst your high honour will stand next to the colourful lord herself, capable men in shiny colours on horses of glory, knowing how to push the world the few inches to change it dramatically. My bow will serve you, my armour might shield you.

What I meant is keeping the round thing around similar not destroying all creativity. X)

Edited by stanislas69

Ha, thanks Niek, just mixed it all up again. Knew I'm getting old but that old, no. Not even a 1000 year old would misread Hittiti and Etruscan. Well.

Okay Stan, agreed with that. At first I didn't realise it. Still it is a really good start. We can improve upon this easily later. The danger rather is to get lost. To get lost means that everything was for nothing. Everything spread everywhere and nothing finished. What I mean is, having all this art work as whole visual in 0A.D. would keep it alive. People would see it, oneself would see it. Not so easy to forget about it then. And the ingame effect and appearance could be taken as a reference and for comparison of new versions. Much easier and quicker to decide. Also currently we get lost in details while we still don't know if these details are really that relevant ingame. And the versioning system would keep track of changes, so no matter the change, everyone knew, okay, we can easily go back if something goes wrong. (true for artists and developers)

A danger that also drives me to dive fully into development, it has to happen ... it has to be put together.

Edited by Hephaestion

I will put those here. @Zophim (we need complete these)

First of all, allow me to say that you are a talented 2D artist, sir. Your civ emblems show a high level of skill.

I would love for my design doc output to be greater, but I am currently involved with academics for most of this month; by May, however, I should be freed up a great deal to concentrate more fully on Aristeia. :wink2:

As I stated in the Hittite topic, my plan is to

(1) more or less finish the Assyrian civ doc,

(2) revisit the Israelite civ doc and make some changes,

(3) work on the Egyptians and Nubians, and

(4) bring the basic civ docs for the Phoenicians and Sea Peoples up to speed.

An idea to throw out there: would it not be better to have two separate documents for each civ? One for the written document itself, and another for the artist's illustration references? The two documents could cross-reference one another. What I've been doing so far is combining the two, which I think makes for a rather cumbersome, unwieldy, messy file.

Just an offhand question: Is anyone besides myself currently involved with or interested in working on Aristeia design docs? Not that I necessarily wish to have a reduced role in the project, but a civ researcher/designer is one of the first links in the chain, and, as Romulus said, it would be good to get enough people working on each aspect of development that at any given time, at least one person would be perhaps semi-available to work on a task. It would be nice if I knew of any volunteers to establish contact with so that we could coordinate our efforts, and delegate design doc responsibilities.

For the record, my main specialty is biblical Near Eastern civs (basically Israel and its neighbors): Israel, Israelite successor states (Ephraim and Judah), New Kingdom Egypt, Kush (aka Nubia), Sea Peoples (incl. Philistines), Phoenicians, Aramaic Syrian states, Assyrians, Babylonians, and perhaps Hittites.

As far as European (such as Etruscan), Indian, and Proto-Greek civs I am more than willing to encourage anyone more familiar with them than I am to lend a hand.

About the Egyptians: I had already begun work on my own Egyptian doc, which I posted in the New Kingdom Egypt topic. Lion.Kanzen, the Google Docs link to the Egyptian civ is basically the one created by Tyrannosaurus, who was last active on the forums over a year ago. I personally think that his design doc needs an overhaul. I can incorporate many of his concepts and ideas, but his timespan is a bit broad, and the unit names need revising, among other issues.

Another point: Atenmeses52, one of the Aristeia co-founders, laid out a tentative list of proposed civs last December; I would like to revise the list, if I may; I have my own thoughts on the merits of including each civ. It would probably be a good idea to first get a more solid grasp on the civs Aristeia is actually going to include, and then proceed on to designing these civs, and then put 2D and 3D artists to work tranforming these concepts into a playable virtual reality.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, allow me to say that you are a talented 2D artist, sir. Your civ emblems show a high level of skill.

I would love for my design doc output to be greater, but I am currently involved with academics for most of this month; by May, however, I should be freed up a great deal to concentrate more fully on Aristeia. :wink2:

As I stated in the Hittite topic, my plan is to

(1) more or less finish the Assyrian civ doc,

(2) revisit the Israelite civ doc and make some changes,

(3) work on the Egyptians and Nubians, and

(4) bring the basic civ docs for the Phoenicians and Sea Peoples up to speed.

An idea to throw out there: would it not be better to have two separate documents for each civ? One for the written document itself, and another for the artist's illustration references? The two documents could cross-reference one another. What I've been doing so far is combining the two, which I think makes for a rather cumbersome, unwieldy, messy file.

Just an offhand question: Is anyone besides myself currently involved with or interested in working on Aristeia design docs? Not that I necessarily wish to have a reduced role in the project, but a civ researcher/designer is one of the first links in the chain, and, as Romulus said, it would be good to get enough people working on each aspect of development that at any given time, at least one person would be perhaps semi-available to work on a task. It would be nice if I knew of any volunteers to establish contact with so that we could coordinate our efforts, and delegate design doc responsibilities.

For the record, my main specialty is biblical Near Eastern civs (basically Israel and its neighbors): Israel, Israelite successor states (Ephraim and Judah), New Kingdom Egypt, Kush (aka Nubia), Sea Peoples (incl. Philistines), Phoenicians, Aramaic Syrian states, Assyrians, Babylonians, and perhaps Hittites.

As far as European (such as Etruscan), Indian, and Proto-Greek civs I am more than willing to encourage anyone more familiar with them than I am to lend a hand.

About the Egyptians: I had already begun work on my own Egyptian doc, which I posted in the New Kingdom Egypt topic. Lion.Kanzen, the Google Docs link to the Egyptian civ is basically the one created by Tyrannosaurus, who was last active on the forums over a year ago. I personally think that his design doc needs an overhaul. I can incorporate many of his concepts and ideas, but his timespan is a bit broad, and the unit names need revising, among other issues.

Another point: Atenmeses52, one of the Aristeia co-founders, laid out a tentative list of proposed civs last December; I would like to revise the list, if I may; I have my own thoughts on the merits of including each civ. It would probably be a good idea to first get a more solid grasp on the civs Aristeia is actually going to include, and then proceed on to designing these civs, and then put 2D and 3D artists to work tranforming these concepts into a playable virtual reality.

We need document designer not only Aristeia, Millunium need one...and the others.

Well, I can say the Viking doc is almost done. Only the heroes and most buildings left.

We need explain to user the methodology to start faction from desing, to XML , concept in case fantasy, is very good first write each civilization or fsction in a desing document and then do it a XML and then start the art changes.

You know the trac info. How starting.

Any news on the civs? Can I translate the art documents into XML and JSON already?

Which art is missing?

We need to focus a bit on Aristeia until Alpha 16 is out.

Can you try to create as many Art tasks for each building for each civ as possible Lion?

If we are nice to stan he might have a look. I will create buildings too. I'm only stuck with animations as props (see juggler), meshes work fine ... so I will try to help where I can with the art from Sunday on. (after the civ generator)

Edited by Hephaestion

• 4 weeks later...

For now, I am putting basically complete PDF civ profiles here, as well as work-in-progress files, until I've figured out where to upload them to on GitHub.

Aristeia will tentatively be divided into three 500-year spans, as follows (the listings, inclusions, and classifications are still very much a WIP):

FATHERS OF NATIONS (2000-1500 BC)

THE OLD KINGDOM EGYPTIANS

THE NUBIANS

THE AKKADIANS

THE SUMERIANS

THE HEBREWS

THE MAGADHAN INDIANS

THE SHANG CHINESE

TUMULT OF NATIONS (1500-1000 BC)

THE AMU HYKSOS

THE THEBAN EGYPTIANS

THE MINOAN CRETANS

THE HEBREW ISRAELITES

THE PHILISTINE SEA PEOPLES

THE SIDONIAN CANAANITES

THE ANATOLIAN HITTITES

THE ZHOU CHINESE

ZENITH OF NATIONS (1000-500 BC)

MAJOR REGIONAL POWERS

THE NEW KINGDOM EGYPTIANS

New Kingdom Egypt Civilization Profile.pdf

New Kingdom Egypt Civilization Profile.doc

THE KUSHITE NUBIANS

Kushite Nubian Civilization Profile.doc (work in progress)

THE ANATOLIAN HITTITES

Hittite Civilization Profile.doc (work in progress)

THE NEW EMPIRE ASSYRIANS

Neo-Assyrian Civilization Profile 0.4.pdf

Neo-Assyrian Civilization Profile 0.4.doc

THE CHALDEAN BABYLONIANS

LEVANTINE STATES

THE PHOENICIAN CANAANITES

THE UNITED MONARCHY ISRAELITES

United Monarchy Israel Civilization Profile 0.3.pdf

United Monarchy Israel Civilization Profile 0.3.doc

THE DIVIDED KINGDOM JUDAHITES

THE DIVIDED KINGDOM EPHRAIMITES

THE ARAM-DAMASCUS SYRIANS

AEGEAN & MEDITERRANEAN CIVILIZATIONS

THE PHILISTINE SEA PEOPLES

THE TARTESSIAN IBERIANS

THE TROJAN LYDIANS

THE MYCENAEAN GREEKS

THE TYRRHENIAN ETRUSCANS

Edited by Zophim
  • Like 3

Uf the touchpad need big Animation and the shield unit too.

-------------

I have a idea i create a building the shield like a tower defense in soul but is a guy with a shield and dismountable

I reads quickly.

I need Canaanites mixing with sea people with

Sardinians. ;) check our updates.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Good work Zophim! That's looking pretty complete to me.

Excuse our fuzzy github organisation in terms of research. It's really pretty unclear where to put it. Btw. the combination PDF & Github will not make sense, as PDF is a binary format and Github can't handle binary. If you had docx or odt this would be preferable. (only if version control looks important for you, otherwise just upload it here and it's fine)

Good work Zophim! That's looking pretty complete to me.

Excuse our fuzzy github organisation in terms of research. It's really pretty unclear where to put it. Btw. the combination PDF & Github will not make sense, as PDF is a binary format and Github can't handle binary. If you had docx or odt this would be preferable. (only if version control looks important for you, otherwise just upload it here and it's fine)

Why can handle binary?

Can't handle binary very well.

Github is for versioning and versioning binary is difficult for every such system. But Github handles binary a bit inefficiently.

For a design document we either choose XML format or better just not version it at all (if that's not a requirement, this might depend on the amount of researchers working on the same civilization which is not the case for us I think).

• Like 1

well, this may work. essentially everything works. And this forum might be the quickest option, so feel free to post it here. (or on dropbox or on google docs or onto your own server/webspace or whereever you like and have access to it to work on it as you desire.)