Council of Modders: We are recruiting!

niektb

Hi,

I would like to join as a programmer, researcher, tester or anything i could help with , i only know some python and java, but im willing to learn. If someone can point me to where to learn js --- documentation, i'll be glad.

Im a student, cant say i have all the time, but i can spend some time.

Sorry for my english.

Hi,

I would like to join as a programmer, researcher, tester or anything i could help with , i only know some python and java, but im willing to learn. If someone can point me to where to learn js --- documentation, i'll be glad.

Sorry for my english.

no problem about the time or the english... many of us are multilingual and also students :)

Hello Skorn,

JS is said to be one of the easier languages around but C++ is also being used for the engine. Radagast is probably more able then I am to explain the programming part but at least welcome! :)

In the mean time I suggest you'd obtain a copy of the source code from 0 A.D.(as outlined on trac.wildfiregames.com ).

Just curious, what do you study?

Greetings,

Niektb

(I was asking since it could be either hypaspistes2012 or Spearhead123 :) )

Oh that. "hypaspistes2012" is the user we created for both of us (since I don't want shieldwolf23 taking all the credit for the scenario).

Hi,

Sorry for my english.

Welcone Skhorn!

I got a copy 2 months ago, from the svn repository, just to try out dudes on walls xD.

Im studying systems engineering.

Now that thamlett mentions the multilingual thing... and i know here is not the place to say it, but if someone wants to learns spanish or teach me german or russian or another language, i'll be cool :D

If you know Java then you might find JavaScript as easy as it is. JavaScript is not strongly typed.

Here a bad CrashCurs Java -> JavaScript:

int numberOfCalls = 0;double number = 0.0;String arrayOfChars = "zeichenkette";public int resolvePlayerId(PlayerData[] playerDatas, String name){    ++numberOfCalls;    for (int i; i < playerDatas.length; ++i)        if (playerDatas[i].name == name)            return playerDatas[i].playerId;}
-->

var numberOfCalls = 0;var number = 0.0;var arrayOfChars = "zeichenkette";function resolvePlayerId(playerDatas, name){    ++numberOfCalls; //<-- using global variable    for (var i; i < playerDatas.length; ++i)        if (playerDatas[i].name === name) // <-- triple = to check for the same type too. Otherwise "1" and 1 would resolve to True.            return playerDatas[i].playerId;}
In JavaScript you can also write:

var f = function(data){    // ...}
or:

var object = {};var array = [];object["my_new_key"] = function() {    // append a reference to the object to the array, which makes no sense at all as at the end each array entry contains the same value.    array[array.length] = object;};// execute the function:object.my_new_key();
JavaScript is easier and way more error-tolerant than Java.

You can still program JavaScript like if it was Java. You don't need to use the special features of JavaScript, but you need to use "var" instead of "int", "double", "type", "Class".

Instead of public int you use function.

A function can store values (like a class / instance):

function MyClass(initParameter1){    var privateVar = 0;    this.defaultParameter = initParameter1;    this.method = function()    {        ++privateVar;    }    this.getPrivateVar = function()    {        return privateVar;    }}var myObj = MyClass("default");warn(myObj.defaultParameter);  // output "default" as a 0AD ingame warning.warn(myObj.getPrivateVar());    // prints 0myObj.method();warn(myObj.getPrivateVar());   // prints 1

After that, Tereisias' instructions might be helpful to get full force into 0AD AI development (to assist mimo): http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18375&p=286844

It assumes Linux + Git. But you might want to read http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#Getting_the_code .

Skhorn, you should post once more (so you can PM) and get a copy of our signature in your signature.

Thanks, i was wondering how to send a PM.

If you know Java then you might find JavaScript as easy as it is. JavaScript is not strongly typed.

Here a bad CrashCurs Java -> JavaScript:

int numberOfCalls = 0;double number = 0.0;String arrayOfChars = "zeichenkette";public int resolvePlayerId(PlayerData[] playerDatas, String name){    ++numberOfCalls;    for (int i; i < playerDatas.length; ++i)        if (playerDatas[i].name == name)            return playerDatas[i].playerId;}
-->

var numberOfCalls = 0;var number = 0.0;var arrayOfChars = "zeichenkette";function resolvePlayerId(playerDatas, name){    ++numberOfCalls; //<-- using global variable    for (var i; i < playerDatas.length; ++i)        if (playerDatas[i].name === name) // <-- triple = to check for the same type too. Otherwise "1" and 1 would resolve to True.            return playerDatas[i].playerId;}
In JavaScript you can also write:

var f = function(data){    // ...}
or:

var object = {};var array = [];object["my_new_key"] = function() {    // append a reference to the object to the array, which makes no sense at all as at the end each array entry contains the same value.    array[array.length] = object;};// execute the function:object.my_new_key();
JavaScript is easier and way more error-tolerant than Java.

You can still program JavaScript like if it was Java. You don't need to use the special features of JavaScript, but you need to use "var" instead of "int", "double", "type", "Class".

Instead of public int you use function.

A function can store values (like a class / instance):

function MyClass(initParameter1){    var privateVar = 0;    this.defaultParameter = initParameter1;    this.method = function()    {        ++privateVar;    }    this.getPrivateVar = function()    {        return privateVar;    }}var myObj = MyClass("default");warn(myObj.defaultParameter);  // output "default" as a 0AD ingame warning.warn(myObj.getPrivateVar());    // prints 0myObj.method();warn(myObj.getPrivateVar());   // prints 1

After that, Tereisias' instructions might be helpful to get full force into 0AD AI development (to assist mimo): http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18375&p=286844

It assumes Linux + Git. But you might want to read http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#Getting_the_code .

JS is dynamically typed... dont know if thats the right name, as in python, a variable can take any value in different lines.

And you just answered another question i had, the Linux + Git.

I'll get into it.

Thanks

Great it at least helped a bit.

@shieldwolf:

Glad to know Spearhead joining our efforts. I often tend to dig too deep and for too long into Your scenarios for EE. I think I fully missed EE. Hopefully 0AD's potential to be the open source EE is seen by enough people to give the Open source movement a breakthrough.

Thank you. I really hope 0 AD will be known, I have been promoting it to all my friends (online and offline), and my relatives too.

As to Spearhead, I'm quite sure he'll be a great addition, since he is by profession a historian, while at the same time, a very good gamer to boot. So we have a winning combination there. :D

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi! My Name is Daniel, 25 years from Norway.

Let me first say that I looove this game, and I wanted to contribute a bit

I am a Viking enthusiast and I have seen some screens of some Viking buildings, and i am very interested in helping out with modeling, and maybe animating.

I have not done very low poly houses before, but I guess that I can give it a go.

My main 3d softwares are Blender, 3ds max and Zbrush.

Here are some screens:

post-18018-0-86859600-1431200634_thumb.j

post-18018-0-97725700-1431200629_thumb.j

So. Yeah. Is the millenium AD still going strong?

I can also help out with other things, but my main interest is to add Viking models to a game =)

• Like 3

That could turn out confusing (2 Daniels) ;)

Welcome to the forum, Daniel! :hi:

Very nice models I'd say :thumbsup:

We are still in the need of a couple of Viking (or actually Norse) models so you're lucky. There are plenty of other areas where you could help but we could talk about that later.

ATM, it's a little silent around Millennium A.D. (basically because our sole 3D artist is highly occupied with school) but as soon as you start modeling I figure it would give full live again to the project. :)

As you might know, we use blender as our main software (as it integrates near seamlessly with the engine using the Collada exporter).

P.S.: You will obtain PM access as soon as you have posted 5 times in the forum (spam protection mechanism) (unless some site admin comes around)

Okai, cool! Well you can call me Harmony so that it gets a bit less confusing.

No problem with using blender, as it is my main Software. I only use 3ds max for school projects. and Zbrush, well, I use it all the time for character design.

So, as I am quite new in these forums and I havent really gotten used to the structure. Is there any thread where I can see what needs to be done?

And when speaking of Norse, are you talking about the pre-viking era?

• Like 2

Hi and welcome :)

Check here:

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showforum=297 -> It has all related to Millennium ad.

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17918 -> All related to the norse.

and here http://www.moddb.com/mods/millennium-ad , but there, is just for showcases.

And as Niek said, just be sure to reach 5 posts, so you can get access to the PM.

Edited by Skhorn

(You see, we have a group PM)

Make btw sure that you download the developer version (since our mods are developed on SVN). Here is described how to:

Acquiring the code

The game's code, data and build environment are stored on a Subversion server. The recommended way to get an up-to-date copy is with TortoiseSVN:

Edited by niektb