[Status] Collection of Functionality Ideas

Radagast.

Happy we are in synch, Romulus. :D

Guarding area ist planned as Sander said.

Mini-factions are a restricted AI for me (so no building), but could also be made of Gaia if that's desired. I would simply give away negative IDs for now as this is possible since Josh's overserver mode. We could also give it 0 (Gaia). But then we loose control about how many mercenaries have been drawn, so if they get angry or not. Then only Gaia as a whole could get angry and I dislike that (Gaia I see as nature and wish to later make it responsible for catastrophes, e.g. if you kill all plants, then Gaia will tell you something, be assured!).

@FeXoR:

All your arguments make sense (also those from the post before on page 1). That's also why I don't like waypoints for AIs. They can find what they want themselves.

This functionality might however be turned on/off so more specific behavior could be added in scripts.

We have to guarantee that, for sure.

Trigger (that would make such things easy) are not implemented yet though and are not planned to be in part 1 AFAIK.

Happy you are wrong this time: Triggers - With Tutorial.

I think hybrid system will give even more depth. And all for the planet and all but wasted.

• Like 1

Legend : WIP JavaScript JavaScript&C++ C++ Low priority Upcoming

• Other than this slowing down effect, the Archers' long range doesn't do a lot of damage. So calculate long-range damage depending on distance.

I think this one is a bit unnecessary since archers already have scatter (and thus on average inflict less the longer the range is).

Weather and seasons should be in the same patch.

Loyalty and sympathy are basically the same isn't it?

Let's postpone formations for a while since in vanilla there is already being worked at.

Sorry for the late reply, weekend and wife and all :D

@Hephaestion's 27 March reply:

I was thinking that the tie up of the children to houses is necessary, to have players who create more houses have more children, and since you've said that a similar cap is already implemented, then that would make it easier to implement. I like too the moving outside the house/ community, and resorting to banditry. That would definitely make for a much more immersive "city-building" feel to the game. I like it!

I would also like that technological "spill" to neighboring tribes. But I'd suggest that technological "spill" be more pronounced if a certain tribe is in direct contact of the source, compared to ones that are not in contact or an enemy. Surely a tribe which is friendly would get more access to the technology than a tribe that is hostile.

As to history, well, we humans never learn. We are bound to repeat history, unless the Annunaki arrive at last. :D

I am also drawn to the TW series because of the real time battles, like stan said, and their ability to recreate historical battles using formations/ morale and such. The sieges too are worth its playtime. With 5% luck and 101% hardwork, 0 AD will hopefully become the standard of modern RTS for years to come, just like Romulus says.

• Like 1

Yeah I will give a whole new dimension to the game. With realistic fights, realistic economics, and realistic growth. Children will add deepness. Only thing missing will be time lapse, but we don't care since it is an RTS. I don't really like the turn system in total war.

• 2 weeks later...

Note @list: Italic symbols which was added to the list in the most recent edit/revision.

Added today: (this is already WIP)

Two-handers Automatically put the shield into the inventar.

Two weapons at a time. More choices. Unit chooses what is available/still functional. (in terms of historcal accuracy as I think units had more than one kind of weapons too, critics welcome)

@Shieldwolf:

I'd suggest that technological "spill" be more pronounced if a certain tribe is in direct contact of the source, compared to ones that are not in contact or an enemy. Surely a tribe which is friendly would get more access to the technology than a tribe that is hostile.

That'd really be awesome. So not only distance between borders but also exchange plays a role. (more technology transfer if a lot of exchange with enemy, be it by spies or by special trade or a much talking neutral travelling trader :D ).

I like too the moving outside the house/ community, and resorting to banditry. That would definitely make for a much more immersive "city-building" feel to the game. I like it!

I immediately had to think of Robin Hood .. or multiple Robin Hoods that settle somewhere, essentially splitting from their factions. That would really be awesome as you never knew if not soon there will be some robbers settle in this forrest or mountains just nearby (or in the middle) of your empire.

Would give much more variety if you had to deal with such unexpected threats.

Essentially your own people or those of enemies found new mini civilisations. That's one of my priorities: to give units more self-awareness and individualism (those like Robin Hood or Michael Ney Rudolph that change their course of history if their values are not met).

"calculate long-range damage depending on distance."

I think this one is a bit unnecessary since archers already have scatter (and thus on average inflict less the longer the range is).

Cool, still I think it's a difference. Not only you hit fewer times the target with increasing distance. The damage/depth of penetration is also completely different. So even if archers hit units far away, there will be hardly any damage. That for reality while in our simulation there is a lot of damage. So I think it would add a whole more strategic depth to have the realism. When you let your archers shoot? Sink morale of the enemy? Or inflict casualties? Where do you place them? In front to have more effect? In the back with little influence?

Moving unit formations will become much more interesting then.

Micro-management-crits should yet not have to worry as you can leave these decisions to your commanders (if there are enough you trust).

totally missed that development. THX for that.

(And if leper, Spahbod and sanderd17 agree on that it's as good as in I guess ^^)

The review process might take I was told as it's an important change and all developers should be aware of it. So perhaps also the Council should read and understand the program/map changes. I will have a look into it soon. Currently still trying to figure out the network mod download thing for the Mod Manager to put things together.

Where do you place [archers]? In front to have more effect? In the back with little influence?

Okay, that's still vague. What I mean:
  • Hit a target from close. => Target falls dead/severly wounded. (in both cases unit movement stops permanently)
  • Hit a target from far away. => Target just continues to run at you (at least after a short slow-down to better protect against the arrows -- and as long as morale is high enough to not make the formation disband and flee).
Hopefully it's more clear now what I want to achieve:
  • Units slow down if under heavy attack. (TODO keep track of the level of attack: perhaps by examining the rate of unit's health's change?) Just like for territory.
  • If a weapon hits the target, the optimal distance still plays a role. Especially true for bow and other initial impulse propelled range weapons. (depends on weight => a stone still has the same effect, no matter if hit closeby or from far away)
Edited by Hephaestion

I would really love to see those things implemented. You see, sometimes, playing RTS would just mean who is faster in mouse-clicking, or who is more knowledgeable in the tech tree or such. Adding random things beyond player control would spice things up.

I don't know if somebody had already thought about this, but while I was playing 0 AD a couple of days back, I noticed that there is no "Scout" or "Explore" buttons on units? Is it just me or the units does not have "scout/ explore" buttons?

By "scout" or "explore" I mean a simple button that when pressed, would allow the unit to wander in random directions, essentially becoming a "scout" uncovering the fog of war.

• 4 weeks later...

- Added MuteLovestone's focus.
- Claryfied some points according to newly gained knowledge.
- Reworked Legend system:

blackish colour + bold => JavaScript + C++ + XML + ... (quite general)
colour => low priority/ to be determined if not redundant/counterproductive.
brownish colour + bold => JavaScript only.
blueish colour + bold => C++ only.

The lighter the less settled/smaller chance for progress soon.

Edit: Finished mods are signaled by striking through / scoring out. Status now is done via colour brightness (light -> dark means less -> more advanced).

Edited by Hephaestion

MuteLovestone's focus & additional ideas: (added in last edit)

• Resource conversion - like an alchemy type thing (Tech + Alchemist?) <-- not to confuse with unit conversion which should be called entity ownership change. (Alchemist)
  • Reworked schemas - Rework schemas to allow for better modifications <-- as late as possible as it will break compatibility with 0AD (Makeing it to be flexable with 0ad)
  • Element Attacks - (Fantasy/map dependent) <-- temperature attack should be one of those (sure will add it to this)
  • Fire/Cold Attack - (non Fantasy) <-- should be temperature attack. needs entity's living temperature range being defined in XML schema. (will get this started soon)
  • Unit Abilities + Talents (Talent is nearly fixed per unit-birth, Skill can be improved) <-- could/should be done via tech + experience => skills increase
  • Tech Units can learn (applied only to that unit) <-- why tech? (Knoledge? basicly something that unit learns, nonrepeateable)
  • Rework units <-- in what way? Philip already reworked entities recently. A unit is a special type of entity. Just like building. (This more of personal mod)
  • Weak spots <-- addition to armour? by making it more locally defined? or general weakness, should go with ability + skill + talents system (perhaps like NeverWinterNights). (addition to armor)
  • Extra Phases mods, (best as dynamic as possible) (Will do)

New things to add

• Mod toolkit (self explanitory) (C#)
  • Mod info tool produces files to be used with modmanager (currently open ETA 3 days) (c#)
  • Trainable Animals (early version available)
  • (Break Animals into sections) (complete, 1/2)
  • Extra Resources (available for requests)

You don't have to ask. It would be awesome.

Still we needed a higher grid resolution instead of 4x4. The reason is that if you don't pay attention when placing for example a fence, then the 4x4 tile might not be marked as obstruction (as eye-candy is less than than 4x4, it could e.g. be 2x8 or similar and thus if placed unluckily, we have no obstruction on this tile). The pathfinder will then just plan a way through the fence which is not so nice.

The short range pathfinder is not tiled to my knowledge so it would then detect that there's no path .. .and there is the infinite loop.

Edited by Hephaestion

• Stan` unpinned this topic