===[COMMITTED]=== Ptolemaic merchant ship

Stan`

Proportions look a bit off. it's too narrow for a merchant ship. As I always say.... Try to import another building/ship/unit from the game to get a reference for the scale. Also I think the head and tail should have more width from the center to the ends.

Also in the reference, the fact that the space between the bars of the hand-rails at both sides of the ship gets smaller, it suggests that they're rounded (semicircle shape), not squared with weird spacing.

EDIT: Of course, you can use whatever texture that is already in the game. -- Could you please add -merchant ship- to the topic title, so it is more clear what is this task about?

Edited by Enrique

Okay, so I shouldn't follow the reference for the hull ?

post-12287-0-65002600-1393791851_thumb.p

I assume you've seen it now as it's changed, but just for completeness sake/in case someone else changed it: Click Edit, then Use Full Editor, then edit the Topic Title there :)

Someone did. Thanks :)

Looks fine if it's empty, to me, but I expect the full ship to be lower too. I'd put the water line somewhere around the logs/windows on the side of the hull (what are those?)

I don't know actually, was just following the reference. according to it water line is just below the lowest of them. But I guess it depends on the ship cargaison.

Also, even though I'm certainly not an expert, I would assume that this type of ship was mostly used on the Nile - rather than on the Mediterranean, so it shouldn't have to be as seaworthy.

Well okay.

I'm still not sure about how was the midlle tent and the banister placed, any ideas ?

I see you used parts of the reference image to texture it... sadly, we can't use it unless it's licensed by cc-by-sa 3.0. I can't find under which license this image was released, we can't take the risk to use it. This is important, always check the source/license of the texture you are using.

Some more detail on the tail and head wood would be good too. For the hull, you can try using the texture attached.

Also it'd be good to see the final texture and some more angles. The sail cloth are normally added as props so we can add some variations and it'll leave you more space for the rest of the textures.

post-13528-0-29522900-1393945694_thumb.p

Ehhm.. both. You can actually do the lotus flower of the tail geometry, it's just a bunch of polys. It's simple, make it look as good as possible.

I guess GIMP textures are compliant but.. c'mon they're ultra tiny...

I've posted these a bunch of times already in the forums and tutorials... these are GOLD for 3D artists as they have CC0 license... you should save the links...

http://agf81.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.texturemate.com

http://opengameart.org/users/yughues

Well, I have to learn texturing but also tons of homework to do, and nothing please me more than seeing my models in game So I attached the current texture and the model :)

Also glad to see good people coming back in the course :)

Exported it as an obj since I don't trust max collada exporter and collada max doesn't work anymore. Added Blend File too.

Thanks ;)

Ptol_Merc_Boat.7z

If you want some suggestions about the texture,

-As I said in post #17 in this thread, the sail is always propped to the ship, so you can have more room for the actual ship texture. (They use different texture files)

-Texture size you posted is not squared (it is 1165x1028), the game do not allow texture resolutions that aren't powers of 2 (256x256, 512x512, 1024x512, 256x1024 ....)

-Small/Medium boats use 256x256 or 512x512 textures, I guess you aimed here for a 1024x1024, wich is good, just scale down and done, but the fact that the props texture (Barrels and crates) has such small texture space, it will make the props look very low-res compared with the deck/hull when scaled down.

- Red stripes on the cloth should be transparent if you were aiming for playercolor. The last section on this post explains very well how playercolor works: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18340&p=286095

- Texture distribution could be better, things like the yellow flower of the tail don't need such a big portion of the texture if there isn't any detail on it (plain color) Which btw I think playercolor there would look cool :P

Also the row could be rotated so it's perpendicular to the bottom and not placed in diagonal, which eats a lot of unnecessary space.

Not a big fan of the wood texture in the head and tail, but that's personal preference. I hope this do not sound too harsh, they're just points for you to improve.

• Like 1

If you want some suggestions about the texture,

-As I said in post #17 in this thread, the sail is always propped to the ship, so you can have more room for the actual ship texture. (They use different texture files)

-Texture size you posted is not squared (it is 1165x1028), the game do not allow texture resolutions that aren't powers of 2 (256x256, 512x512, 1024x512, 256x1024 ....)

-Small/Medium boats use 256x256 or 512x512 textures, I guess you aimed here for a 1024x1024, wich is good, just scale down and done, but the fact that the props texture (Barrels and crates) has such small texture space, it will make the props look very low-res compared with the deck/hull when scaled down.

- Red stripes on the cloth should be transparent if you were aiming for playercolor. The last section on this post explains very well how playercolor works: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18340&p=286095

- Texture distribution could be better, things like the yellow flower of the tail don't need such a big portion of the texture if there isn't any detail on it (plain color) Which btw I think playercolor there would look cool :P

Also the row could be rotated so it's perpendicular to the bottom and not placed in diagonal, which eats a lot of unnecessary space.

Not a big fan of the wood texture in the head and tail, but that's personal preference. I hope this do not sound too harsh, they're just points for you to improve.

- Yeah I forgot ^^'

- I needed to fix it but didn't wanted to break uv's ^^

- Oh yeah, crate texture was taken from the gaul farmstead :) Talking about it maybe we should drop prop it.

- They are transparent actually the blue one should change colors, I guess I broke it when exporting from paint --'

- Agreed

- The row was that way because it was phototextured at the beginning :)

- Bout the last point ^^ Gimp textures took me 1/2second ^^ I hadn't seen your links ;)

- The row was that way because it was phototextured at the beginning :)

If you use photo's to texture stuff, you must obey to the license (even if the photo is under CC-BY-SA, you still need to mention the source or original author). If the photo isn't available under a free license, you can only use it for inspirational purposes.