Persian provincial levy and mercenary options

Mega Mania

As a 0 AD fans, i am asking the team is it possible to give Persian players an alternative option to raise provincial levy and foreign mercenaries?

My Persian provincial levy and mercenary list:

Anatolia and Lydia:

Hoplite mercenary

Carian assault infantry

Egypt:

Egyptian Marine

Kushite Clubman

Levant:

Phoenician Marine

Saka Haomavarga:

Saka Haomavarga horse archers

Advantage:

Provide player more options instead of traditional Persian levies.

Capable of raising an army faster than raising a traditional Persian levies.

Disadvantage

Expensive, especially on logistics.

Here's some pictures

post-15682-0-22810600-1392869150_thumb.j

post-15682-0-97904700-1392869171_thumb.j

post-15682-0-52329800-1392869205_thumb.j

post-15682-0-81799200-1392869884_thumb.j

wgh-sh-21-regt-sakhaum-horse-archer-regt

wgh-ku-25-kushite-clubmen_1024x1024.jpeg

Edited by Mega Mania

I personally wouldn't like it because it civs less unique. Other than that having that many units means there are likely to be multiple units that fill the same roll (or no lack of a particular type of unit, which goes somewhat back to the generic civ argument), which creates its own inherent problems.

• Like 1

Did you consider the background of Persian Empire? The list that i proposed was the modest among the real Persian Empire could assemble!

Of course we could use policy decision to hinder Persian player from being too powerful by disabling certain unit from recruitment list plus heavier logistic burden.

But after all, i 'm not the one that make decision here.

Did you consider the background of Persian Empire? The list that i proposed was the modest among the real Persian Empire could assemble!

Of course we could use policy decision to hinder Persian player from being too powerful by disabling certain unit from recruitment list plus heavier logistic burden.

But after all, i 'm not the one that make decision here.

If you play with seleucid its almost same proposition , for historical reasons and balancing the faction.

Sometimes, desire a system where all desition changes the unit Civ tree. The seleucid have little bit of that with the elite units.

• 2 weeks later...

I would actually say, instead of giving the Persians the ability to create other civs units, give every civ the option to levy troops in conquered territory.

This will be more realistic and logical. But for this, we'll to wait for the capturing of buildings which all are planned features.

• Like 1

Perhaps think about possible units we could include in a "Mercenary Camp" system, where all players, regardless of civ, can capture a Gaia "Mercenary Camp" and then train specific units from it.

Here's how I have proposed it works: We can have multiple mercenary camps in Atlas, each one having slightly different mercenaries available from it based on culture or biome (say, "Middle Eastern", "Anatolian", "Italian", "North African", or whatever) with around 2 units available based on this culture, and then the Merc Camp would also have 2 or so units available based on the owning civ (say, Cretan Toxotes and Thracian Peltasts for Athenian ownership, "Samnite Swordsman" and "Celtic Auxiliary Cavalry" for Roman owners). So, up to 4 units available from the Merc Camp; 2 based on the map or maptype and 2 based on the owner of the camp. With that in mind, what kind of "Merc" units would you choose for the Persians? Maybe Sacae (Sythian) Horse Archer and Cardaces Hoplite and perhaps Indian War Elephant? This way we can give the Persians some extra strong units, but only if they can manage to capture the strategically important Mercenary Camps? These mercs would have benefits (they cost no population room and they are trained at 'Elite' levels), but a few minor drawbacks (they keep "loot" to themselves, so the player doesn't get any of the "Loot" they get from kills, and you can only train a limited number of each).

• Like 3

Perhaps think about possible units we could include in a "Mercenary Camp" system, where all players, regardless of civ, can capture a Gaia "Mercenary Camp" and then train specific units from it.

Here's how I have proposed it works: We can have multiple mercenary camps in Atlas, each one having slightly different mercenaries available from it based on culture or biome (say, "Middle Eastern", "Anatolian", "Italian", "North African", or whatever) with around 2 units available based on this culture, and then the Merc Camp would also have 2 or so units available based on the owning civ (say, Cretan Toxotes and Thracian Peltasts for Athenian ownership, "Samnite Swordsman" and "Celtic Auxiliary Cavalry" for Roman owners). So, up to 4 units available from the Merc Camp; 2 based on the map or maptype and 2 based on the owner of the camp. With that in mind, what kind of "Merc" units would you choose for the Persians? Maybe Sacae (Sythian) Horse Archer and Cardaces Hoplite and perhaps Indian War Elephant? This way we can give the Persians some extra strong units, but only if they can manage to capture the strategically important Mercenary Camps? These mercs would have benefits (they cost no population room and they are trained at 'Elite' levels), but a few minor drawbacks (they keep "loot" to themselves, so the player doesn't get any of the "Loot" they get from kills, and you can only train a limited number of each).

Its a much better option than being able to train from captured buildings of other civs simply because that would cause way to much homogeneity. I wouldn't implement mercs not receiving loot. Loot is already in a really bad sport in terms of communication. Having them not yield loot adds more burden of knowledge and complication with no real benefit.

Edited by hollth

Are the mercs based on the map or the civilisation that captured it?

Its a much better option than being able to train from captured buildings of other civs simply because that would cause way to much homogeneity. I wouldn't implement mercs not receiving loot. Loot is already in a really bad sport in terms of communication. Having them not yield loot adds more burden of knowledge and complication with no real benefit.

What you mean?(your question)

Ah don't worry. I get what he meant now. I only skimmed through the first time. I wasn't sure if he wanted to have the trainable units static or dynamic for the duration of the each game.

I'll edit the question out of my first post.

Edited by hollth
  • Like 1

Ah don't worry. I get what he meant now. I only skimmed through the first time. I wasn't sure if he wanted to have the trainable units static or dynamic for the duration of the each game.

I'll edit the question out of my first post.

ok, I was tempting to explain my version of this idea, I guess is similar to mythos.

But basically is an adaptation from AOE 3 and Warcraft 3 in order give some little fun to some maps and for designer maps can be funny. This building like capture flag system where you get extra units for cheap or expensive exotic units.

Now lads, lets us return to the topic.

My suggestion comprise of several techs and policy decision. It began with xsaça-pā-van tech available when player achieve tier II civil centre, after gaining Xsaca-pa-van tech player now receives a certain number of provincial levy from Carians, Phoenician, Egyptians from Phoenician Trireme and Kushite warrior from barracks plus Achaemenid satrapy court as the only facility to train advanced units like Saka Haomavarga riders, Hoplite mercenaries, Kardakes and Indian Elephant but requires certain technology or policy decision to unlock it.

As player make such decision, player may suffer certain penalties such as logistic penalty and/or recruitment penalty.

• Like 1

Now lads, lets us return to the topic.

My suggestion comprise of several techs and policy decision. It began with xsaça-pā-van tech available when player achieve tier II civil centre, after gaining Xsaca-pa-van tech player now receives a certain number of provincial levy from Carians, Phoenician, Egyptians from Phoenician Trireme and Kushite warrior from barracks plus Achaemenid satrapy court as the only facility to train advanced units like Saka Haomavarga riders, Hoplite mercenaries, Kardakes and Indian Elephant but requires certain technology or policy decision to unlock it.

As player make such decision, player may suffer certain penalties such as logistic penalty and/or recruitment penalty.

we have a tech discuss wephere can propose ne tech. You can keep some about copy here but is best have there, you know order and relevance because that is pinned topic.

• 2 weeks later...