The Council of Modders

Romulus

That's a very wide statement :) Who are the "we" who can't change it? B) I certainly can ;) (But yeah, it's not something everyone can do. That's very true, I really just mean that "we" as in WFG certainly can :) )

I meant the "we" as in the regular, mortal programmers ;)

That comes unexpected. No matter the outcome, any trials and experiments are highly welcome.

Enrique was having trouble with unit meshes and scales. So I thought I'd mess a bit with scales. I have a working prototype now, but I still need some input on what's actually wanted.

Oh, there is a patch for it. Thank you for pointing out. Time will tell which new triggers we should work on. Will have a look on the patch and wait for its inclusion then. (no rush) Thanks for your input.

Yes, it's shaping up nicely. Basically triggers will be set by the map maker (AI can't add triggers), but triggers are part of the simulation, so they can be made accessible to the AI via the AIInterface. The triggers are very liberal though. So I don't know if the AI would be able to gather a lot of info from it.

Enrique was having trouble with unit meshes and scales. So I thought I'd mess a bit with scales. I have a working prototype now, but I still need some input on what's actually wanted.

I'm lucky he had issues, because having the possibility to give each entity a bit a different scale in each direction (x,y,z) in the local object frame would be brilliant. Just imaging, we could have units that are taller, a monk that is a bit wider, a really thin and tall guy that'd better become archer than melee. This would also be nice to look at in action. Currently it's hard to know which unit you lost, but with the variation in scale, you could immediately tell .. oh no, my tallest archer's wounded.

Also later we could include the scale, hence the final height into the calculations to calculate when an archer misses the target. Also big guys could walk quicker (in a formation deactivated).

What I like best about it, is that we could make units grow ... imagine we could influence the scale (within the simulation depending on time, saturated of course). Even a tree would finally grow slower, would it?

Even without growing, a variation of a tree's height and width (within one species) would be really fantastic.

Can't believe you are working on it ... :omg: brilliant.

Yes, it's shaping up nicely. Basically triggers will be set by the map maker (AI can't add triggers), but triggers are part of the simulation, so they can be made accessible to the AI via the AIInterface. The triggers are very liberal though. So I don't know if the AI would be able to gather a lot of info from it.

Wow, that's fitting our purposes perfectly. Finally we can make campaigns happen then. And draw red lines .. when an AI might get really get angry once you settled on this land (as an example). A trigger could also be hidden in a tree, making a unit suddenly appear, once the tree is cut.

We could also use it to make legends, dragons, whales, .. appear over lakes, bringing messages, changing the world effents, i.e. adding new triggers (we reached the next phase). Also a trigger could add new civilizations, e.g. "The Spartans arrived on your coast".

The whale then could finally be used as a ship to bring you to a cave, especially with the HybridAI, where citizens may split from a civlization, then being hunted for by many enemies at a time this opens up dozens of possibilities.

No matter how it turns out. It will definitely create a new depth and atmosphere. Those two changes will be felt. Especially as Mythos already wanted this variation and this would make 0A.D. much more natural. Hardly can await seeing it.

The scale thing is only a matter of art, it won't be related to the simulation (to affect walking speed f.e.) as that would only complicate stuff.

Also, different scales in 3 directions will be hard to do, as the normals will be influenced, so the normal map won't fit anymore. I only plan a scale with a single float (possibly a random float in a range). Though actors (like shields, swords ...) could scale differently then their parent when wanted.

• Like 1

Ok, so I finally added the right date to the sig.. lol

Sorry I took so long, I totally forgot about it till Thursday night :)

So here they are:

attachicon.gifscreenshot.5.pngattachicon.gifscreenshot.6.png

and shrunk:

attachicon.gifscreenshot.5.shrunk.pngattachicon.gifscreenshot.6.shrunk.png

@Lion

do you know how to add the icon you are working on so that it can go just below our name and everything (like the WFG people)?

attachicon.gifscreenshot.6.png

If not, I can just include on the plaque or have it as a separate signature.

you want in the signature with gradients like stanlas69 ? Yeah I need export the image and upload the svg version. Svg are vectorial art like or similar to power point images.

you want in the signature with gradients like stanlas69 ? Yeah I need export the image and upload the svg version. Svg are vectorial art like or similar to power point images.

EDIT: X

if you want you can email it to me tjh.hts@gmail.com - if you do so please put The Council of Modders in the subject line so it can be filtered and placed in the right folder

Edited by thamlett

Why not put it in the share repository:

• install git.
    • Get the share repo:
      git clone https://github.com/0ADCoM/share.git path/to/local/target/dir/
    • Drop your file into:
      path/to/local/target/
    • Rightclick on the folder --> commit. (or: git commit -a -m "my files I want to share with you")

You can create and edit your files directly in the repository folder. Before you want to push the changes onto the server, just run:
      • git add *
      • git push

Not difficult, but very useful, as it keeps order and you win time.

yeah - i can slant it on the y-axis just like the plaque

if you want you can email it to me tjh.hts@gmail.com - if you do so please put The Council of Modders in the subject line so it can be filtered and placed in the right folder

vertical? Why vertical?

#####

#...... #

#.......#

##### Vertical

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

The scale thing is only a matter of art, it won't be related to the simulation (to affect walking speed f.e.) as that would only complicate stuff.

Agreed. Those changes could be done with either:
  • creating props, i.e. monk cloaks with different widths.
  • Or by creating a few more base mesh variations.
  • or the scale - which as you mentioned will screw the normals. Will this distortion be visible?
The second method looks easiest, though it's more difficult to keep unit appearance consistent if you have to carefully store which selection/base model this unit had before any model update. In comparison to storing only one scale vector (x,y,z) per model this might prove being a complexity-trap (also for the art department that needs to care for many base models). On the other hand, a 3d vector scale could give trouble with texture distortion too.

Also, different scales in 3 directions will be hard to do, as the normals will be influenced, so the normal map won't fit anymore.

I only plan a scale with a single float (possibly a random float in a range). Though actors (like shields, swords ...) could scale differently then their parent when wanted.

Independent of the way we choose, you 1-float solution will make a severe difference already! It's looking much to uniform/artificial within one kind, in size (not props and textures, those are brilliant). :cheers:

Wow, the last will open plenty of possibilities, e.g. different length beards (props in general). The outcome will be big models with tiny beard, big models with huge beard, tiny model with long beard. Tiny farmer model with to wide a straw hat.

Or a horse with really long mane - and another of the same species with a very long cloak/armour, almost to the ground.

Different size ammunition for siege machines, ...

Could use this opportunity to revive your WallHeight WalkHeight patch too. Combined with some animations:[]

• Units sitting on wall (as long as no enemy unit is nearby),
  • standing up.
  • sitting down.
  • laying down.
  • leaning over wall battlements (looking down).
  • Units patrouilling walls.

Actions:

• Units patrouilling walls.
  • Garrison in tower .
  • Change to other tower. (already done in your patch :torch: )
  • Civ center Alarm makes sitting and sleeping units on walls (everwhere?) wake up.

@All Councilors

In our recent talks with the management sector of CoM, we are taking aims to create a sub forum for CoM.

If there is anything you would like added to this directory structure for any particular reason and purpose, please say so.

On Monday the latest I'll forward the appropriate structure to be implemented.

Council of Modders

/Projects

-/1,000 A.D.

-/Aristeia

-/ROME

/Announcements

/General

Topics:

- general discussion and ideas

- FAQ

- recruitment

/Game Dev

Topics:

- Bug reports

- Programming tasks tracking

- technical discussion

/Art Dev

Topics:

- Art task tracking

- Fan art

/Tutorials & Guides

/Project Managment

Topics:

- Recruitment

- Signatures & Logos

- repos

@thamlett

@Lion.Kanzen

With regards to the tags/labels, we'll have to host talks to settle with what particular tags and where.

I think for now, we should try and focus on setting up our dir tree in which to organize all these topics. As it is this thread is the busiest of the site lol

So if councilors can add input on that current tree specified above, please do.

The second task for the management team is to provide a staff tree.

Who is who and who does what, along with their email addresses for correspondence.

We are still very much disorderly at the moment, so once the management peripherals have been taken care of, this Staff tree will be pinned for conveyance. __________________________________________

*Update

Added a "/Tutorials & Guides" to the structure.

Why?

This will contain vital comprehensive information in which to help new members.

Obviously, this will need devotion.

Edited by Romulus

Well spoken, Romulus!
Do we need the subforum of an 0 A.D. Mod-pack below the CoM in the wildfire forum structure??

Of course, it would be cool, but If they want the Mod-packs to be split. Because RoTE will still be separate and in a higher level forum folder then:

WFG/Game Development/                 RoTE/                 <mod-pack>/                 ...                 CoM/                         Millenium/                         ROME/                         <mod-pack>/                             

Will look as if CoM were a mod-pack itself. Not sure if our manager will support mod-packs in mod-packs. :D

@Lion: Best would be if we could reproduce the important content using markdown. I could convert it from HTML/BBCode to markdown perhaps. So then we had the idea/wish list globally available. It should be global as the other sub-projects/task are derived from it.
E.g.

• art projects (e.g. those idea you decide hey, why not create that model for this Aquaduct or similar..)
  • programming projects (e..g how to get the water flow in this Aquaduct, ...)

I would love to encourage you to use the Git repositories more . :rockon: Though having different versions floating around, it'd be good have a link that always point to the most recent version in the repository. (e.g. share/Tutorial Unit creation.pdf) This way people always find the most recent version. And also alwas link to the most recent version in other forum where they might want to share your tutorials. This results in fewer dead links.

@Niek: Wow, soon Chuck Norris will join our team!! :weee: Hopefully this encourages people to mod ... we are striding for something really interesting here. Thank you for the immense work!!

@hephaestion is easy for me in ipad when I use copy paste because is plain text and never copies the BBcode or CSS style.

Ok try from more basic to more specifict.

May be wee need add some main planned team ask our list becuse some task are very important to complete our mods gameplay.

In program department is possibly doing in this way.

Ok I doing this in a text simple editor.

@hephaestion is easy for me in ipad when I use copy paste because is plain text and never copies the BBcode or CSS style.

Lion, you are the master. :D I originally wanted to keep the markup as Markdown-language also supports these structures. So that we don't have to redo the formatting, that'd be a timesaver.

Perhaps I'm just confusing you all too much. Should write a bit less. ;)

Ok try from more basic to more specifict.

May be wee need add some main planned team ask our list becuse some task are very important to complete our mods gameplay.

In program department is possibly doing in this way.

I guess they do. For me personally it's easier to work on several projects at the same time, otherwise you are falling into a deep hole if your only project is completely stuck.

Take your time, colleagues. :)

@Romulus

The organization for the subforum is okay by me (remember when i suggested a subforum back on like the first page of this topic? :))

Might I propose we use a similiar organization for the github repo?

@Council

I agree with Romulus about the management tree.

I think that it should be created in the Github repo (since everyone can edit who needs to) and it can eventually become a "who's who" list.

As for my email address (already listed in this forum) and everything, I personally think that some of us (Lion, Romulus, Niek, Hephaestion) ought to set up some sort of Real-Time talk (perhaps over Skype group messaging or in the IRC) at a time when we are all available.

Once we have the applications coming, the structure organized, and everything else preliminary (preferably official WFG notice?) we need to get a sort of "bucket list" and assign tasks from there.

• Like 1

I prefered read, I'm not enogh im faster to skype conversation if you are mean a conference by audio video.

########################################################################################

mi last version, im not sure about get the "c" more clear

b0WmAQ8.png

p96yDsI.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Well, we might, but this requires us having all in one folder structure. Nice if you want to link in a relative way (path) to other files. Or for creating symbalic cross-links.

Or is it possible to create sub-folders to the Council of Modders main github-collection?

@Lion:

El matadore. :) How to best combine with the thamlett's in hard work gathered marble? I like it. It's a pity there is no chance to add some dynamic html foreground text. That menas we always have to render a text onto your image to make it appear ontop the cool black grey bar at the bottom of your signature.

We have to wait for thamlett to ask him for the marble. Smaller size marble left to our fancy logo? Btw. the logo reminds me of a tower and helmet at same time currently. Way cool.

Edited by Hephaestion

Well, we might, but this requires us having all in one folder structure. Nice if you want to link in a relative way (path) to other files. Or for creating symbalic cross-links.Or is it possible to create sub-folders to the Council of Modders main github-collection?@Lion:El matadore. :) How to best combine with the thamlett's in hard work gathered marble?

it's not enought cool for me call: Imperator, Legatus, Consul, or caballero oscuro( Dark knight in Spanish )

O Empedaror , cónsul , Legado.

Ok seriusly searching previous working from someone else with marble , you know find for inspirations I have a lot.

Is necessary creates questions like: can be nice if our art is look like a .....

I work for us not only for me.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

UM7qWPf.png

Tell me how you want to look. Like this? or other? Ask

And like what?

Obviusly you want how mix them. I can doit but I need know. Why we are using marble?

Why that a font? Why that contrast?

################################################

When all my question is finish I mix my art with the T guy.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I don't like the signature to be too modernistic. (Who is the T guy?)

Marble give a nice soft distortion of the background and is a material that was often used in ancient times. + is a material that is often used for plaquettes. Also marble opens the way to some nice text effects. But in fact it hasn't necessarily to be marble.

Associations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey

"Gray is solid and stable, creating a sense of calm and composure, relief from a chaotic world."

http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/color-gray.html

Edited by niektb