The Council of Modders

Romulus

Thanks I now can do what I want.

@Lion.Kanzen:

Could you give me a copy of the Aristeia source code?

Oh, and perhaps should we write the texts for recruitments:

As it is now we need the following:

- Researchers

- 3D artists both animators and modelers

- programmers (gameplay, RMS, template modding)

- Scenario designers?

- Playtesters / balancers (in case of balancers some template modding) (Could be done by other occupants)

- Art designers for UI and wallpapers?

Think I got the most jobs listed above. We might want to open a few separate topics for the following:

The Council =>FAQ + Recruiting + General Announcements or so.

Edited by niektb

Things are starting to take shape.

Can someone that's free, take care of our recruitment post promotion?

Lion.Kanzen has a lot to do as it is, I'm sure someone wouldn't mind :)

He can always modify it at a later stage, seen as though he is our marketing agent as well.

Edited by Romulus

Thanks I now can do what I want.

@Lion.Kanzen:

Oh, and perhaps should we write the texts for recruitments:

As it is now we need the following:

- Researchers

- 3D artists both animators and modelers

- programmers (gameplay, RMS, template modding)

- Scenario designers?

- Playtesters / balancers (in case of balancers some template modding) (Could be done by other occupants)

- Art designers for UI and wallpapers?

Think I got the most jobs listed above. We might want to open a few separate topics for the following:

The Council =>FAQ + Recruiting + General Announcements or so.

I try to remember... Lontime with out use sourceforge or Github, Idanwin is the manager of that... He is main programmer I'm only the "seller".

[...]

Can someone that's free, take care of our recruitment post promotion?

[...]

Done!

If you are a community member of the Wildfire games' forum, you might already had noticed that a new modding team is being formed, which consist of a few old modding teams. The merge process being almost finished, we discovered that we could use a few additional hands to help us in modding several aspects of game, with the ultimate goal the create an enormous mod pack targeting 0 A.D. in an as large as possible timeframe. Yes, indeed, this is a quite ambitious goal, but with your help I (and with me the rest of the Council) am sure that we will manage to achieve it!

Let me now explain in what area's you could help us out. We are currently looking for persons capable of fulfilling the following jobs:

Researchers, 3D artists, programmers, Scenario designers, Playtesters & balancers and finally 2D Artists.

Researcher:

A game falls or stands with information. Without, it is impossible to create a historically accurate game like 0 A.D. aims to be. Therefore we need people who like to dig in history and come up with information, plans to get that information implemented in the right way and finally provide references for the artists around. As already said, we like to get a large timespan so you will get acquainted with all kinds of history and learn lots of it.

3D artist:

In case of 3D artist we have two kinds of jobs:

Animators:

Animations are needed to get a dynamic moving game. Imagine a game with only static puppets moving around! No one wants to play that! We need therefore people who like to animate all kinds of objects, including ships, animals and units.

Modelers:

Beside animators we do need persons creating the 3D object itself, before it gets animated or textured or something. Modelling a variety of objects you need to follow the references provided by the researchers (or get them yourselves if you like to do so) and get it usable for the other team members. Actually you provide a fundamental base for the game to get playable.

Programmer:

Modding includes programming. Therefore we need additional programmers capable of JS-scripting in various aspects of the game. Think of programming completely new gameplay features but also creating technologies, auras, modifying templates and creating Random Map Scripts and possibly AI scripting. It even is allowed to create your own glsl shaders if you like to!

Scenario Designer:

Of course we like to feature some scenarios of our own specifically created for our own projects. It is also possible to create Random Maps in collaboration with the programmers.

Playtester / Balancer:

To get a nice, playable game we need playtesters. They are there to improve the game's playability and eventually come up with ideas for gameplay features in collaboration with the researchers. It is also a possibility that it is needed to adjust some stats yourselves. For this you'll need a basic knowledge of XML (which is very easy to learn I can tell you)

2D artist:

2D artists can choose between various assignments in the following areas:

Conceptual artist:

Being a conceptual artist you'll pick up references and create concepts for it to be used by the 3D modelers. It is also allowed to search for references yourselves or collaborate with researchers in doing so.

2D designer:

2D designers take care of the UI. Think of designing new buttons, drawing wallpapers and everything you like to do to improve the GUI and create a lot of other art.

The list has now come to an end. Nothing is prohibited and everything is permitted in our Council. If you feel that your function is not listed above: feel free to ask if we need you. If you feel you're not skilled enough to apply: we are there to help you improving your skills and get them good enough for you to be part of our team. If you do not exactly match a jobs description: no problem, we can use every hand to help us, also hands that are not able to (or do not like) certain parts of the jobs. On the other hand: if you might want to fulfill more than one job, you're welcome.

To summarize: Everyone who is interested, whether he is capable or not, unable to spend much time or not, is allowed (or even better: asked) to apply!

Hmm, it might be that a general description of the Council and what it is doing is required. That can be easily added

Edited by niektb
  • Like 2

Done!

If you are a community member of the Wildfire games' forum, you might already had noticed that a new modding team is being formed, which consist of a few old modding teams. The merge process being almost finished, we discovered that we could use a few additional hands to help us in modding several aspects of game, with the ultimate goal the create an enormous mod pack targeting 0 A.D. in an as large as possible timeframe. Yes, indeed, this is a quite ambitious goal, but with your help I (and with me the rest of the Council) am sure that we will manage to achieve it!

Let me now explain in what area's you could help us out. We are currently looking for persons capable of fulfilling the following jobs:

Researchers, 3D artists, programmers, Scenario designers, Playtesters & balancers and finally 2D Artists.

Researcher:

A game falls or stands with information. Without, it is impossible to create a historically accurate game like 0 A.D. aims to be. Therefore we need people who like to dig in history and come up with information, plans to get that information implemented in the right way and finally provide references for the artists around. As already said, we like to get a large timespan so you will get acquainted with all kinds of history and learn lots of it.

3D artist:

In case of 3D artist we have two kinds of jobs:

Animators:

Animations are needed to get a dynamic moving game. Imagine a game with only static puppets moving around! No one wants to play that! We need therefore people who like to animate all kinds of objects, including ships, animals and units.

Modelers:

Beside animators we do need persons creating the 3D object itself, before it gets animated or textured or something. Modelling a variety of objects you need to follow the references provided by the researchers (or get them yourselves if you like to do so) and get it usable for the other team members. Actually you provide a fundamental base for the game to get playable.

Programmer:

Modding includes programming. Therefore we need additional programmers capable of JS-scripting in various aspects of the game. Think of programming completely new gameplay features but also creating technologies, auras, modifying templates and creating Random Map Scripts and possibly AI scripting. It even is allowed to create your own glsl shaders if you like to!

Scenario Designer:

Of course we like to feature some scenarios of our own specifically created for our own projects. It is also possible to create Random Maps in collaboration with the programmers.

Playtester / Balancer:

To get a nice, playable game we need playtesters. They are there to improve the game's playability and eventually come up with ideas for gameplay features in collaboration with the researchers. It is also a possibility that it is needed to adjust some stats yourselves. For this you'll need a basic knowledge of XML (which is very easy to learn I can tell you)

2D artist:

2D artists can choose between various assignments in the following areas:

Conceptual artist:

Being a conceptual artist you'll pick up references and create concepts for it to be used by the 3D modelers. It is also allowed to search for references yourselves or collaborate with researchers in doing so.

2D designer:

2D designers take care of the UI. Think of designing new buttons, drawing wallpapers and everything you like to do to improve the GUI and create a lot of other art.

The list has now come to an end. Nothing is prohibited and everything is permitted in our Council. If you feel that your function is not listed above: feel free to ask if we need you. If you feel you're not skilled enough to apply: we are there to help you improving your skills and get them good enough for you to be part of our team. If you do not exactly match a jobs description: no problem, we can use every hand to help us, also hands that are not able to (or do not like) certain parts of the jobs. On the other hand: if you might want to fulfill more than one job, you're welcome.

To summarize: Everyone who is interested, whether he is capable or not, unable to spend much time or not, is allowed (or even better: asked) to apply!

Hmm, it might be that a general description of the Council and what it is doing is required. That can be easily added

That is very nicely worded. Very nice.

You pretty much basically covered the description already. If you still want to add one though, it can just be something like,

"0 A.D. Council of Modders

Mod team dedicated to the RTS game 0 A.D. aimed at promoting, contribution and created to ensure it's survival.

Where RTS dreams come true!"

• Like 1

Wow, happy turnarount here.

@Lion:

Wow! There is really a lot to discover. The cool thing with the first one is that really looks like a helmet. The second one like a shield at first sight, also not bad - if one imagine that the black center of the wrench is the backplate of the helmet as seen from inside, then it also turns into a helmet (even better than the first then .. perhaps give this another colour tone than the rest?).

The C is the base, no? Or the magician's tower-like wrench top is the C ? Interesting .. well done!

@Romulus & Niek:

Glad, the repos are taking shape too.

The recruitment text is well-chosen!

Maybe if he adds a white line (disconnects the tools handle and heading) the C would become more obvious (If that's ment to be it ^^)

Or take the big bottom part as the C and give this base a continuous rim (many helmets have rims at the bottom, haven't they?)

But let's Lion decide .. he will know.

Edit for above post: A potential problem with fexor's proposal is that it could destroy the helmet-like look? Have to test it.

@Lion.Kanzen:

Isn't it possible to import the whole Aristeia repository?

Also the public repo (access if github-account) I mentioned before I meant to allow people to easily send in their improvements.

I think such an easy procedure (because automatic write-/commit-access if has a github account) would make a whole lot more people consider contributing. (and would fit well our non-hierarchy structure)

The good thing with this is that we then can easily integrate those up-stream-improvements into the main repos.

Edit: Is it possible to set different access rights for branches? That would be an elegant solution then.

Also we need a common repository if that's possible. I mean somehow to not have to copy things over and over. Anyone knows a good procedure for how to avoid redundancy spread over several repos?

Edited by Hephaestion

Wow, happy turnarount here.@Lion:Wow! There is really a lot to discover. The cool thing with the first one is that really looks like a helmet. The second one like a shield at first sight, also not bad - if one imagine that the black center of the wrench is the backplate of the helmet as seen from inside, then it also turns into a helmet (even better than the first then .. perhaps give this another colour tone than the rest?).The C is the base, no? Or the magician's tower-like wrench top is the C ? Interesting .. well done!@Romulus & Niek:Glad, the repos are taking shape too.The recruitment text is well-chosen!Or take the big bottom part as the C and give this base a continuous rim (many helmets have rims at the bottom, haven't they?)But let's Lion decide .. he will know.

I'll try to show how I was make it, like a psychologist the designer try to work with black abstract figures to create symbols. I try with the table but mixing with the wrecker, the zc is no clear because is not good make more complex the image.

Edit for above post: A potential problem with fexor's proposal is that it could destroy the helmet-like look? Have to test it.

Isn't it possible to import the whole Aristeia repository?

Also the public repo (access if github-account) I mentioned before I meant to allow people to easily send in their improvements.

I think such an easy procedure (because automatic write-/commit-access if has a github account) would make a whole lot more people consider contributing. (and would fit well our non-hierarchy structure)

The good thing with this is that we then can easily integrate those up-stream-improvements into the main repos.

Edit: Is it possible to set different access rights for branches? That would be an elegant solution then.

Also we need a common repository if that's possible. I mean somehow to not have to copy things over and over. Anyone knows a good procedure for how to avoid redundancy spread over several repos?

Yes it is possible to set different rights to different repos for a user. The problem actually is that the Aristeia mod isn't up-to-date anymore and gives a lot of errors while playing (yes, I've tested it myself long ago)

Secondly it's possible from the game to load different mods at once, but it isn't very user friendly to do so in the release (having a gamer download several mods at once before able to play etc.) But could be done for testing purpose, for the release however it should all be in the same mod folder.

• Like 1

See I like that logo, despite it not having the table.

For a little critique;

I think it's creative.

It also symbolizes our nature as a mod team.

How?

Because anything we create at the end of the day has our imaginative thought it in, that signature of our craftsmanship. Whether that be art, code, concept, and idea, they all apart of our imaginative power at work. So I think that logo symbolizes everything about us, who we are and what we represent. Something tangible produced by the mind.

This is how I see it. I like the logo, and with a bit of colour, I think it will be great!

@The competition bit, mention by Haphaesteon thamlett vs Lion.Kanzen in the logo

That is one of your attributes that will greatly compliment this team :)

That ability to produce a creative idea from no where.

And that is mod members competing a task for the best output. But, this will have to be with some things, not everything, because you cannot have more than one members trying to create the same thing. Time waster.

But that remains to be seen.

You see, thamlett was assigned the task of creating a temporary signature for us in the interim of Lion.Kanzen's logo. But because thamlett has made a great signature here... I would use it as our primary sig.

That said, Lion's logo is good and I bet if thamlett puts that in the current sig, we could use it in the sig ;)

@niektb

Definitely, although for my Rome mod it will require a full download of the entire game. Atleast that's how it's looking at the time being.

But at this very early stage, we'll deal with that when we get there ;)

Edited by Romulus
  • Like 1

[...]

@niektb

Definitely, although for my Rome mod it will require a full download of the entire game. Atleast that's how it's looking at the time being.

But at this very early stage, we'll deal with that when we get there ;)

Of course you need to download 0 A.D. but only one mod. Not a mod with the content then another having some gameplay, then another one for Scenario's etc. etc.

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1