An Added Building For Cartharge

Romulus

I think the Carthaginians deserve a sea wall. I think evident in history, this wall prolonged Carthage time line. And was most ingeniously built.

Carthage actually gets given no credit for just how advanced and established they really were. The Romans had really decimated the civilization to nothing but stone remains half covered in earth.

I think 0 A.D. Should honor the great civilization with a new building like this.

Some examples:

Carthage_Punic_Port_2.jpg

Ports.jpg

Port.jpg

Carthage were Phoenecians, so its of no surprise these guys built bigger and tougher than any nation out at sea.

As far as I am aware. Not every acient dock had sea walls.

Carthage was unique because it was new, and nothing matched until the great port constructed by the Byzantines in early Medieval times.

Yes the Romans built them too, but not on the scale as Carthage and Byzantium.

Pompey apparently would have been an exception, but sadly there's not really any archaeological evidence, but only historical references.

Edited by Romulus

As far as I am aware. Not every acient dock had sea walls.

Carthage was unique because it was new, and nothing matched until the great port constructed by the Byzantines in early Medieval times.

Yes the Romans built them too, but not on the scale as Carthage and Byzantium.

Pompey apparently would have been an exception, but sadly there's not really any archaeological evidence, but only historical references.

if it's military dock may be they have. But think about pirates, about enemy of these city states. Be can do a little search to have sure.

How would this sea wall work in terms of implementing/gameplay? I don't really see how it's possible to allow it being built as units can't go in very deep water, maybe have it be built in shallow areas, but then it wouldn't do much good.

Walls can already be built in shallows, and Carthage's walls are already very strong. I am not sure how we could implement "sea walls" in a proper way without allowing players to wall off sections of ocean, which would of course be silly.

• Like 1

I guess this wall is intended to protect existing ships and a dock itself from attacks from the sea. Maybe it could be implemented as an upgrade for a dock\shipyard with standard sizes and position and be built by units from the shoreline just like docks are built.

Though yesterday i played Iberians vs Carthaginians on a naval map and in this situation i would wish they wouldn't have walled docks :) The Carthage player built walls around his island exactly on the shoreline. It was nearly impossible to destroy them with Iberian navy and the only reasonable way to get on his land was through the dock.

Yes the walling off sections of ocean will be silly, however...

A sea wall could (for Carthiage) be limited to a docks radius of 60-70 meters, whereby essentially walling off a port space in which to park ships safely from an enemy fleet.

So like, if you had fishing ships doing there thing and trade boats coming and going, in the event of a sudden strike with enemy war ships everywhere, you can gather all your ships safely in port, abd still attack the ships with sea towers and general catapult fire from the sea walls.