[Beginner] Bloodshed Dev C++ with this ok?

I'm new to the forums... and game programming so before anything, hello everyone.

I'm an IT student and our current curriculum requires us to do some work on an open source project of our choice. I've done some work mainly on java, python and c# but I'm rather new to C++ so it might be a bit slow going.

I'm looking at the tutorials on the site, C++ tutorials and the simple tickets in trac. The tutorial for setting up the build environment says to use Microsoft visual studio. The software appears to be a bit bloated for my taste and the machine I'm using is a bit old and running out of hard drive space compared to the company machine I used when I worked on c# before so I've decided to use dev c++ for it. Would it work well though? Or are there any better lightweight C++ ides?

Also, forgive my english. It is not my native language.

Edited by pogisanpolo

Hi and welcome!

I have never used Dev C++. One problem will be that we currently don't create project files for this IDE.

Do you know if it can import visual studio projects? We use premake to generate the workspace/project files and it would be quite tedious to add and remove all source files and set all compiler and linker flags manually.

Code::Blocks is the only cross platform IDE we create projects files for (well makefiles can probably be used with mingw).

I'm using Code::Blocks on Linux and unfortunately it's a bit buggy but it works more or less.

Codelite is also supported by premake but we don't generate project files for it. It's likely that our premake scripts and maybe premake itself needs some adjustments to work properly with Codelite.

I haven't tested Codelite yet, so I don't know how good it is.

The software appears to be a bit bloated for my taste and the machine I'm using is a bit old and running out of hard drive space compared to the company machine I used when I worked on c# before so I've decided to use dev c++ for it. Would it work well though? Or are there any better lightweight C++ ides?

In that case, I wouldn't advise you to program for 0 A.D. without upgrading or cleaning your computer first. 0 A.D. takes a lot of HHD space on its own.

If you want to work on the gameplay, you can also start with working on the JS part we have, and then switch to the C++ part. The code structure is very alike, the JS gives you less side problems.

I'm looking at the tutorials on the site, C++ tutorials and the simple tickets in trac. The tutorial for setting up the build environment says to use Microsoft visual studio. The software appears to be a bit bloated for my taste and the machine I'm using is a bit old and running out of hard drive space compared to the company machine I used when I worked on c# before so I've decided to use dev c++ for it. Would it work well though? Or are there any better lightweight C++ ides?

You only need the express edition of Visual C++, you can go back to 2008, if that helps. No other IDE really makes sense, if you're going to be modifying the game's C++ source on Windows.

In that case, I wouldn't advise you to program for 0 A.D. without upgrading or cleaning your computer first. 0 A.D. takes a lot of HHD space on its own.

If you want to work on the gameplay, you can also start with working on the JS part we have, and then switch to the C++ part. The code structure is very alike, the JS gives you less side problems.

I'll do just that. I'm thinking of working on that ticket involving some issues on the developer overlay (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/2276). Is that part in the c++ code? Also, taking a look in the xml files for the gui. Are those coded by hand or is there an IDE used for that?

Also managed to reclaim roughly 20 GB from the hard drive which I think would be more than enough.

I'll do just that. I'm thinking of working on that ticket involving some issues on the developer overlay (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/2276). Is that part in the c++ code? Also, taking a look in the xml files for the gui. Are those coded by hand or is there an IDE used for that?

Also managed to reclaim roughly 20 GB from the hard drive which I think would be more than enough.

You might want to think about choosing a different ticket, that ticket is a wolf in sheep's clothing ;-). Its prerequisites would involve working with a bunch of different files in XML, C++, and JS. I'll write a more technical comment on the ticket itself.

Also, 20GB should be more then enough. My SVN checkout is only 6.9GBs right now. If you haven't downloaded the codebase/setup stuff yet this page on the wiki should be helpful. As a little bit of a side note, if you have used/use linux, 0 A.D. can be a little easier to setup there and happily compiles with GCC.

Edit: With review the ticket is really two separate issues, one is adding a rating checkbox to the game setup page and the other is making the box automatically configure itself. The first issue has a simple resolution while the second does not. In light of that I'd encourage you to try your hand at the first issue which should only involve some simple GUI XML and JavaScript changes.

If you have any questions, please drop by our IRC channel on quakenet.

Currently messing with the GUI XML and JS files in the binaries folder. Tried changing some tooltips for the main menu as a test and for some reason, the main menu tooltips aren't updating when I actually launch the game. Am I missing something here?

I'm not a programmer so I can't help you anyway, but to make it easier for them to help you, could you please list the following:

What exact changes have you made?

In what files?

That would make it a lot easier to help you as they'd have a chance to see what it actually is you have/haven't done :)

• Like 1

I'm not a programmer so I can't help you anyway, but to make it easier for them to help you, could you please list the following:

What exact changes have you made?

In what files?

That would make it a lot easier to help you as they'd have a chance to see what it actually is you have/haven't done :)

Never mind. I was using a different machine when I tried those changes. When I tried making those same changes on my machine, it worked fine. More specifically, I made changes to the pregame.xml file, changing the tooltip for the single player campaigns, changing the "[NOT IMPLEMENTED YET]" to "Test successful". The only real purpose of that was a simple sanity check if my changes would reflect in the game itself.

I think that machine had two different copies of the game in different locations. The changes I made affected only the copy I was working on while the shortcut to the executable links to the other copy, thus making it appear that my changes never happened.

I'm trying to get into the multiplayer lobby so I get the feel on how the GUI flows to multiplayer game setup. For some reason, I couldn't register for multiplayer, getting me an "Authentication Failed" error message each time. Already enabled UPnP on my router and used port forwarding. Based on the code, however, it appears that gamesetup_mp is mainly for processing while gamesetup handles both offline and online games. Put the GUI options for unranked/ranked games there maybe?

• 6 months later...