0AD WebGL remix

newcivs

with webgl is possible use OpenGL shaders on a web browser, i know that for make a useful remix i need:

* transform .dds textures to data URL images "664-bit codification"

* the javascript code in <script></script> HTML tags

but what i need remix for make a profitable mod

profitable = quick download&preload

You want to run 0 A.D. in a browser Or do you want to do a remake in a browser?

• I would not use data URL's for images. Just have them served statically as jpg files helps with caching.
  • Similar to using javascript: put all javascript in a separate file (or files). It's easier to edit and no reload of the data is necessary upon subsequent visits.
  • I don't know if webGL supports everything OpenGL does, but since 0 A.D. uses an older version it should not be a problem.
  • You will run into problems with all the C++ code which you would have to translate to javascript. I don't that's fun or will run well at all (sssllllooowww).
  • You'll need to implement a different way of interpretting the game's XML data, which could be done in javascript. It still requires a lot of work.
  • Quick load... hmm, most of the loading probably goes into XML files, 3D models, and texture images. So the loading will be similar to downloading the game.

I'm not sure if you are really playing to do this, but it would take considerable effort. Good luck though :)

Edited by dvangennip
  • Like 2

Well, you can compile some code via empscripten to JavaScript, if you compile to asm.js, it shouldn't even be that slow. But it will still be a lot slower than the current game, practically unplayable.

If you just want to port it via empscripten, you'll find yourself in the strange situation that you're compiling the javascript engine to JS, as we're having that engine as one of our libs.

Next to that, the entire JS base we use now should also be corrected. We use some features that don't run in all browsers, supporting more than just FF would cause a lot of work.

• Like 1

You want to run 0 A.D. in a browser Or do you want to do a remake in a browser?

• I would not use data URL's for images. Just have them served statically as jpg files helps with caching.
  • Similar to using javascript: put all javascript in a separate file (or files). It's easier to edit and no reload of the data is necessary upon subsequent visits.
  • I don't know if webGL supports everything OpenGL does, but since 0 A.D. uses an older version it should not be a problem.
  • You will run into problems with all the C++ code which you would have to translate to javascript. I don't that's fun or will run well at all (sssllllooowww).
  • You'll need to implement a different way of interpretting the game's XML data, which could be done in javascript. It still requires a lot of work.
  • Quick load... hmm, most of the loading probably goes into XML files, 3D models, and texture images. So the loading will be similar to downloading the game.

I'm not sure if you are really playing to do this, but it would take considerable effort. Good luck though :)

run a remix of 0AD in a browser, same UI, same appereance "but the lobby is an only webchat" "multiplayer games" are hostred in a normal connection

* the data URL and all textures gonna be replaced with clolours "on WEBGL, is possible choose color of 3D models", the 3D models gonna be replaced with webGL Models

* the sllloooowww would be a troube "i would make some censorship" the "giant" map size deleted "on remix"

* the XML data would be replaces into JSON notation "useful in canvas"