darn good job - my thanks

oliverlane89

Dear All

I hope this is coming to the right place. I just wanted to give my thanks to those in this community who have worked on 0 A.D. I'll tell you why;

After ~25 years with Microsoft I've just installed Ubuntu on a machine for the first time, and was scouting around for software to download. Was delighted to come across this game, which appealed to me for a number of reasons. Firstly, having cast around a quick google to see if it was actually any good I was delighted to read that it's closely based on the Age of Empires series. I don't mind saying that AoEII was the absolute top game of my Childhood, and having been denied it in recent years has been a great pain to me. Secondly, I have a couple of degrees in military history etc and my fiancé is a classicist; clearly the subject matter of 0 A. D. is of immediate interest in that sense as well!

Have only played one game so far (and got my @#$% handed to me on a plate, was playing with what I remember of pure AoE II tactics and was totally over-run by the CPU opponent) but really enjoyed it. I appreciate it's a product in Alpha and there are a lot of bugs to deal with and functionality to build in, however it's great work so far. I'm afraid I'm not a programmer or modeler, or else I'd be chomping at the bit to get involved and help develop.

Again, good work. I'll be very pleased to watch your development closely. Perhaps after I've played some more games I'll have more feedback than just 'Great subject matter'!

Oliver

• Like 3

Like you I also am an AOE/AOEII veteran.

And boy... 0 A.D. is way better....... This is Thee RTS of all time. Why? Because no other sensible RTS in the era actually exists, besides this one, and I doubt will any time soon and with beautiful graphics such as 0 A.D. :)

Comparing AOE/II to 0 A.D. Is like comparing a black and white television to an HD 3D TV lol...

The key thing I love about it is ART ACCURACY!

AOE units SUCKED!

I think you are too harsh. Older times, older graphics, older engine, older AI, older hardware.

However yes, AOE units did suck, but maybe not for the same reason for me. AoE was a fail the moment I realized all the unit sprites were the same.

It was a total immersion breaking. A shame (how would have it cost to design a patch to correct the visual offense?). No way I could play the Yamato faction with its Roman-like swordsmen, for instance.

In fact, I completed the well written and appealing campaigns, and then went with another game. I'm a poor chess player, anyways.

As a result, I skipped all the AoE serie and AoM Gold reconciled me with MS (visually speaking).

Firstly I am not "scorning" older games. AoE/II is old yes but there's no excuse for the @#$% graphics.

That's just pure laziness of the dev in all factualness.

No excuses. They could of done way better. And some modders including the members of the dev for this game (0 A.D.) have proven it but some of their fine mods for AoE II. So again no excuses ;)

Microsoft Games dev are LAZY and didn't bother researching what units actually looked like, and a lot of other things. Something totally opposite here...

This dev "religiously" makes a conservative effort in authenticit, something I respect the most......

So as your title says, which I will gladly repeat....

Darn good job to the 0 A.D. Dev :)

Edited by Romulus

Still have a working 8-bit machine that used a 5.25 inch floppy drive with 2k/track and 40 tracks do the math great little machine if you liked Assembler language or Forth as the MSBasic that came with it sucked big time bug in the string garbage collection routine yeah a memory leak in a 64k address space(it was an easy fix though just had to change one byte in the EPROM)

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1