[ Beginner ] Refactoring, clone detection and static analysis

Good morining / evening / afternoon.

I'm a beginner in game programming and I want to Contribute to the project.

In order to familiarize myself with the code, I would like to start contributing refactoring, run some tools to identify clones and static analysis. But I found no ticket on it.

Is there any module where these problems are most critical?

Where can I post a report on the entire system, so that more people can fix this sort problem?

You can always create your own Trac ticket - with specific details of a suggested code change to address a problem you pose and as identified by static analysis (or similar). Discussion with other coders would continue from there.

Try to be as specific as possible with one discrete change at first.

Best of luck!

General discussion (i.e. not related to a specific code change) is best kept on the forums. Trac is more for .. keeping track of stuff.

I don't know exactly what you want to do. But if you will work on optimisation, you'll have to make sure your code is really better than the existing code, show it with a game replay, some profiling,...

• Like 1

Good morining / evening / afternoon.

I'm a beginner in game programming and I want to Contribute to the project.

In order to familiarize myself with the code, I would like to start contributing refactoring, run some tools to identify clones and static analysis. But I found no ticket on it.

Is there any module where these problems are most critical?

Where can I post a report on the entire system, so that more people can fix this sort problem?

Apart from what's already said, you could begin here if you've not visited that page. Other pages of interest might be Coding Conventions, EngineProfiling. Just a tip - we don't commit every little change that analyzers or profilers might suggest, it really boils down to how readable the code would be, whether it makes any difference in performance, how well it matches the style of existing code, etc. So it takes some understanding of the code and judgement ;) It's probably not the best or easiest place to begin for those reasons, but everyone has their own preferences.