Massive map (WIP)

Leroy30

Yes looks really good maybe you can make some maps for 0.A.D with historical looking terrain

Keen.

Will finish this one first. I'll put it up online when I'm done but It's probably way too performance hungry to be included in the actual game for a couple of years yet.

Well; by the time the game is finished who knows!

Wow! very nice looking indeed!. Awesome attention to detail!

:shocking: <-- My face when I saw how small the "camera view cone" is in the minimap.

Ha. Was originally going to make it four times that size but decided it would be TOO big. Glad I made that choice now coz it is honestly huge.

It looks awesome!

I fear that the map won't be playable for technical reasons at the current state of the engine.

What about making a smaller map first? Think about a nice theme, try to make it work well from a gameply perspective and make it as beautiful as on those screenshots.

Wouldn't it be more fun and more motivating to get something playable into the game quickly than working on a big piece of art that won't be actually playable for a long time?

Nar :P

Its been my wish for about ten years to have a strategy game that looks this good with maps this big! I'm gunna finish it.

Guess you'll just have to wait :P

Well i probably could take a break at some stage and just put together a normal size map in this style. We'll see. Got a big software launch end of this month i gotta get cracking on with too!

Appreciate the comments and feedback.

Le-roy

• Like 1

Nar :P

Its been my wish for about ten years to have a strategy game that looks this good with maps this big! I'm gunna finish it.

Guess you'll just have to wait :P

No problem, keep it up and I hope it's playable at least for 1vs1 games or maybe without AI players.

Looking forward to seeing how it looks when it's finished!

For purely technical reasons, I'm looking forward to this map. I think just from the broadcasting of messages it'd be too slow.

Trust me its already getting slow lol. But i have to say im very impressed that the rendering engine can handle this level of detail.

I have an i7-3930k overclocked to to 3.6ghz (accross 6 cores) and ddr3 runnine at 2133mhz. I have a fairly decent video card as well its a dual sli 2gb something lol. Not the BEST one on the market but still cost me about 500 a few months ago.

Im getting about 15fps (at game start) now with the map probably 1/10th complete (ouch). Mind you theres probably already more than a giant map in there.

I think cranking up the experimental graphics settings made a bug impact on performance as well BUT i have to say i have used the bloom, displacement mapping, fog, hue etc to produce a very sexy result :)

Oh im running four screens as well so maybe it would help if i disconnect the others. I dunno.

Funny thing is i have all that and i dont even play games. Its just for programming and a bit of design lol.

Something like that last screenshot can take about 40min to an hour (for what you see in the screenshot).

Definitely keen to get some of my own maps in the game (smaller ones i guess). I'm guessing as its in alpha then there's not too much hurry. Plus to be honest I'd rather wait until those experimental graphics settings are no longer experimental so that the maps dont lose quality for people who haven't figured out how to turn them on.

Anyway i will do a smaller map at some stage soon and post it up. If it gets included then thats just bonus.

Cheers,

Le-roy

Open the link (klick on the picture) -> you sould get to flickr

Rightklick the picture -> a selection should appear

Choose original -> the webpage should change

Rightklick the picture -> a selection should appear

Choose save image as (dependent on your browser)

(At least this works for me on Opera)

Edited by FeXoR
  • Like 1