===[COMMITTED]=== Farm Beautification

LordGood

I think removing castshadow helps, but if you turn the camera it would still look messy on the parts that are not lighted. We should try making them not being affected by the lighting at all. This is done with the self-illumination feature. I know that it doesn't work with animated textures but it should work with static transparency ones (based on my tests with aura's visualization)

tall wheat would have an added element of concealment, if silhouettes are turned off, of course.
and yes, small fields! The divisions between would need to be clear though. I'd love to put little trees and bushes as borders but that could be mistaken for wood resource. They wouldnt have a obstruction box either

I'm thinking of making the fields look more independent of one another. Seems like it makes more sense to me, plus making them all look as one big nebulous farm field is fast becoming a hindrance.

But the wheat still needs to work...

I'd like to add that the plowing concur above video is not relevant to the game : until 500 A.D., it is safe to assert that asymmetrical and deep plow was unknown. That's important whether you want to picture such ploughed fields. Until then, and as in some Asian and African countries nowadays, or in vineyards or rocky soils, freshly ploughed fields were more flat and barely scratched (the earth is simply cut open and not moved one or both sides).

Also with such artists working on props, in case you want to differentiate between civs, we could start looking for references about ancient agriculture.

For instance the French wiki page about Agriculture in Antic Greece is comprehensive and well referenced.

Edited by Rodmar
  • Like 1

Awesome :D

I was thinking about having light shrub borders around the fields. They look nice in Atlas, but the field actors are already extremely cluttered

It would allow the separation of different crops and therefore the ability to add more civ-accurate farm content without making them look too bad

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I disabled the shadow casting on the large central wheat tufts, see if it resolves a little bit of the shadowing issue

post-14999-0-45507300-1390416652_thumb.p

post-14999-0-78904300-1390447774.png

post-14999-0-97817700-1390448716.png

Really those proposals are massive improvements.

Actually I toned it a little less bright. It looked like radioactive wheat when the sun was very low lol ^_^

I thought the same but then realised that there were simply much more plants in the lower right part of the image. Or was it an optical illusion?

post-13528-0-95886100-1391455091.jpgpost-13528-0-22759800-1391455104.jpg

Thanks for the improvements, there are more things taking shape than I expected. Also I like the wagons.

Could we make the fields even more unregular too, e.g. by using larger and randomly placed transparent textures? Thought this was discussed somewhere somewhen ... but forgot in which thread. :(

I'm not sure brushes or trees around the fields would make it look artificial once there are too many in a row of them? (just because LordGood mentioned it)

Enrique: did you manage to use self lighting? I found nothing that should be obviously wrong.

Whoops missed this post. Yes, I managed to use it, I was defining the material to use "hardcoded" spec intensity instead of specmap which made the material crazy :D

Once corrected, the selfillumination works nicely

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...