About advanced mining.

Lion.Kanzen

I open this topic. With Wikipedia article.

Mining in Europe has a very long history. Examples include the silver mines of Laurium, which helped support the Greek city state of Athens. However, it is the Romans who developed large scale mining methods, especially the use of large volumes of water brought to the minehead by numerous aqueducts. The water was used for a variety of purposes, including removing overburden and rock debris, called hydraulic mining, as well as washing comminuted, or crushed, ores and driving simple machinery.

The Romans used hydraulic mining methods on a large scale to prospect for the veins of ore, especially a now obsolete form of mining known as hushing. It involved building numerous aqueducts to supply water to the minehead where it was stored in large reservoirs and tanks. When a full tank was opened, the wave of water sluiced away the overburden to expose the bedrock underneath and any gold veins. The rock was then attacked by fire-setting to heat the rock, which would be quenched with a stream of water. The thermal shock cracked the rock, enabling it to be removed, aided by further streams of water from the overhead tanks. The Roman miners used similar methods to work cassiterite deposits in Cornwall and lead ore in the Pennines.

The methods had been developed by the Romans in Spain in 25 AD to exploit large alluvial gold deposits, the largest site being at Las Medulas, where seven long aqueducts were built to tap local rivers and to sluice the deposits. Spain was one of the most important mining regions, but all regions of the Roman Empire were exploited. In Great Britain the natives had mined minerals for millennia,[6] but when the Romans came, the scale of the operations changed dramatically.

The Romans needed what Britain possessed, especially gold, silver, tin, and lead. Roman techniques were not limited to surface mining. They followed the ore veins underground once opencast mining was no longer feasible. At Dolaucothi they stoped out the veins, and drove adits through barren rock to drain the stopes. The same adits were also used to ventilate the workings, especially important when fire-setting was used. At other parts of the site, they penetrated the water table and dewatered the mines using several kinds of machine, especially reverse overshot water-wheels. These were used extensively in the copper mines at Rio Tinto in Spain, where one sequence comprised 16 such wheels arranged in pairs, and lifting water about 80 feet (24 m). They were worked as treadmills with miners standing on the top slats. Many examples of such devices have been found in old Roman mines and some examples are now preserved in the British Museum and the National Museum of Wales.[7]

The poin of this is give new whole form to extract metal and stone may be to the game, how you know Stanilas started to create eye candy buildings( and props)that give new proprieties or not to the gameplay.

And if we had a building to garrison miners to work " under the ground" and give some bonus.

That can be more faster minig or more amount of metal but more slower mining.

But what the advantages of this?

Less units in map moving around because they are garrison in this building.

Can work like farms but with non visible units or may be an animation( a single one loop).

Best management(micro) of this like your farming you focus in war more than extracting minerals and resources.(advanced phase) one per scenario to give some player fighting for great resource space.

• Like 1

ill have to also suggest and argue that farming as to also be equally as complex.

The mechanics of making water accessible to farm.

You cannot farm with NO water.

yeah, thst why open this one. And the Stan art topic. Now Wraitii suggestion in an other bonus from water source. Now we need aquaedutcs and other water forms.
  • Like 1

Yeah this is a great idea :)

what you think about attached buildings?

I think is best solución to upgrade a existent building.

Example Terran Civ in Starcraft many buildings have one to gets one kind bonus or units.

We can have a Advanced Farmstead with a water mill. Or storehouse with attached Mine or Lumbercamp or logg camp.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

That would be inefficient.

If a lumberyard is attached to a farm, then the distance between it and the trees will be long giving workers time gaps. Gathering will be slow.

But I rather like the concept of making water important, after all, it is. And without it you die.

Settlements, towns and any gathering of a significant number of people requires water, that way adding realism, and stopping CCs being built in ridiculous places.

But what about land maps where no water is present?

I do like the approach more to bonus CC's and farms near water, whether by digging channels or not.

Hmm I don't know Kingdom of Heaven? XD

We need put a Water resource in most maps. Wells, waterfall, we need waterfall.

That be good for nomad mode.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I'd prefer having some kind of quarries and fertile portions of land that can give you a boost in mining or farming that are placed in the map where de designer wants. This will make these portions of land valuable to fight for them or keep in your territory without having to reivent how mining and farming works. This boost doesn't mean that it will grant you the victory, but it should be enough benefit for the player to conquer. I don't like the idea of having garrisoned workers... This way you cannot stop their mining production with troops, because you'll need to destroy the mine to do so, and that breaks the meaning of raids

• Like 1

I'd prefer having some kind of quarries and fertile portions of land that can give you a boost in mining or farming that are placed in the map where de designer wants. This will make these portions of land valuable to fight for them or keep in your territory without having to reivent how mining and farming works. This boost doesn't mean that it will grant you the victory, but it should be enough benefit for the player to conquer. I don't like the idea of having garrisoned workers... This way you cannot stop their mining production with troops, because you'll need to destroy the mine to do so, and that breaks the meaning of raids

So basically adding strategic points?

You've got a point. But of course it could be implemented in a mod.

So basically adding strategic points?

Basically, yes. However is up to the map designer to place them (or not) to make a balanced map. This means that in a map with very little amounts of trees it would be nice to place fertile lands far away from wood, so you have to make a decision where to expand, instead of having a one-way to win for expanding. Naturally, a good map designer would place fertile lands near water, big quarries between mountains, etc... To give them more realistic context.

• Like 1

Love too see some mining ingame different type of mines for different civs. More building types for same purpose building so they connnect or need to place close near each other.

I think is part to give the player more visual and gaming experience, discover new RTS, but start with same concept from classics but evolve with strategic map. Strategic environments, and a Strategic machanics. Even I thinking in use river to mining.

Stronghold crusader handled this sort of thing beautifully

Oases were crucial, and the land you have around your castle greatly affected the style of gameplay, and the economic gameplay was amazingly pliable

Market rates were fixed, therefore having only one claim to a strategic resource was less efficient, but it was an option

for instance, if you have no oases around, and you had Iron or stone, you could sell it for food, and the iron would allow you to build a powerful weapons for a domestic army, while if there was plenty of oasis but no iron, you could hire a slew of arabian mercenaries by selling food

• Like 2