===[TASK]=== Moai

According to wikipedia :

The average height of the moai is about 4 m (13 ft 1 in) high, with the average width at the base around 1.6 m (5 ft 3 in)across. These massive creations usually weigh in at around 12.5 tonnes (13.8 tons) a piece.

How much polys do you expect ?

Well, actually, i hardly see any difference at all.

Nose is to thick and short, several sharp regions that should be rounded (like the corner of the brow that should be more like a circle segment). Many edges seem wasted, and unevenly spread.

I'm sorry if I come off as harsh, i don't wish to sound discouraging, and, well, there are many variations of the maoi statues. But some things, like in particular the rounded brow and the elongated nose isn't reflected in this model.

I threw together my own model (surely we would want to keep multiple ones, since they have so much variations). I ended up at 408 triangles.

post-15430-0-10255700-1389737947_thumb.p

maoi.zip

• Like 2

Stan model has a lot of quads that aren't adding detail or roundness. Model topology is one of the trickiest parts of modelling but it can easily be the most important. Micket's one is looking good, could you please post a wireframe shot so Stan could take a look at how you distributed the geometry?

I can see more edge loops have been added, but the nose looks as sharp as before. The loops on the forehead also seems underutilized.

I would actually recommend cutting down the polycount, and rework the basic shapes. The nose shouldn't really need more than 4 edges across the ridge.

post-15430-0-59658800-1389810461_thumb.p

made some minor adjustments, so here is a new zip.

maoi.zip

I give up, I'm too dumb to do this model, been playing around with vertices, started from scratch, tried removing edges, tried doing the same topology as Micket, and that still sucks. Its even worse than the guy i showed you.

This is getting me angry, And i never get angry. Take Micket's

1389828228-deadmoia.jpg

I give up, I'm too dumb to do this model, been playing around with vertices, started from scratch, tried removing edges, tried doing the same topology as Micket, and that still sucks. Its even worse than the guy i showed you.

This is getting me angry, And i never get angry. Take Micket's

And how would that help you improve? ;) I think from what I can tell that you have a good set of skills already, so I suggest you see this as a chance to develop them further ;)

• Like 1

And how would that help you improve? ;) I think from what I can tell that you have a good set of skills already, so I suggest you see this as a chance to develop them further ;)

Then maybe I'll continue this another day. Its too late at night for now. I don't know what wrong with me, and organical looking things. I've had this problem before, on Talesworld Forum. The guy told me to learn how to draw, to model, and to texture, and that was it. Nothing productive.

About Skills ? I don't think I have any compaired to the guys of your team :(

Then maybe I'll continue this another day. Its too late at night for now. I don't know what wrong with me, and organical looking things. I've had this problem before, on Talesworld Forum. The guy told me to learn how to draw, to model, and to texture, and that was it. Nothing productive.

About Skills ? I don't think I have any compaired to the guys of your team :(

You have far more skills than I do, that's a start ;) So keep at it, you need to do things which go beyond what you are comfortable with to improve your skills after all ;)

Well I really hope this hasn't been discouraging. My intents have only been to give constructive criticism, but I know I can come off as quite harsh.

The only thing I can think to do is to try to give more tips. What I think is a common mistake is adding to much details, and then try to tweak things. To many control points and it becomes near impossible to work with it (unless you go for sculpting).

I tweak a vertex, then check it from different angles to see that is gives the desired shape, then tweak it some more. Trying to make a somewhat smooth arc, like the chin, around 5 vertices is maximum, because otherwise its because to much work to readjust the surrounding vertices for every change and you end up with wobbly surfaces. It might even just be a subconcious thing, where one is avoiding making larger necessary changes because you're thinking about all the surrounding adjustments you'd have to do.

I marked some things that I would have probably changed just for illustrative purposes

post-15430-0-04186700-1389834370_thumb.p

It's a bit hard to say more since it's just a front view.

Well I really hope this hasn't been discouraging. My intents have only been to give constructive criticism, but I know I can come off as quite harsh.

The only thing I can think to do is to try to give more tips. What I think is a common mistake is adding to much details, and then try to tweak things. To many control points and it becomes near impossible to work with it (unless you go for sculpting).

I tweak a vertex, then check it from different angles to see that is gives the desired shape, then tweak it some more. Trying to make a somewhat smooth arc, like the chin, around 5 vertices is maximum, because otherwise its because to much work to readjust the surrounding vertices for every change and you end up with wobbly surfaces. It might even just be a subconcious thing, where one is avoiding making larger necessary changes because you're thinking about all the surrounding adjustments you'd have to do.

I marked some things that I would have probably changed just for illustrative purposes

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

It's a bit hard to say more since it's just a front view.

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit bitter, I guess I was tired. :)

I need tips, but I also need something else that i couldn't find, maybe I'm using to much edges to start. I will try to improve my model with the image you've given me. :)