===[COMMITTED]=== Seleucid Structures

LordGood

@LordGood the Altar have a big problem, was constructed by Attalids after they just get their own independence( and defeat a Gallic treat) from Seleucid rule.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergamon_Altar

Eumenes II, further limited the influence of the Galatians and ruled alongside his brother Attalus II, who succeeded him. In 188 BC, Eumenes II was able to create the Treaty of Apamea as an ally of Rome, thus reducing the influence of the Seleucids in Asia Minor.

• Like 1

ah, it lets me use my imagination then, haha

I can still use the Pergamon altar as a jumping off point, the flights of stairs would be an example of 'Persian architectural formalities' I really like the idea of a temple with all the high reliefs around the foundation

Temple of Apollo it is, then. I'll post sketches when ready.

• Like 1

Eerdman’s Bible Dictionary has this info re: Antioch:

Built by Seleucus I Nicator (300 B.C.) as the capital of the Seleucid kingdom, it became the third most important city of the Roman Empire (after Rome and Alexandria). The layout of the city was a marvel. It was traversed from west to east by a colonnade of four rows of marble pillars between which lay three roads, a central road for the traffic of heavy vehicles and two outer ones for pedestrians, horses, and luxury carriages. A second colonnade began in the north at an island in the Orontes river and ran southward, and the city was thus divided into four districts by a gigantic, glittering, white-marble cross. North of the winding Orontes was the royal Seleucid palace, and on the northeast side of the city was the wall of Tiberius. The enchanting nature paradise of Daphne, where worshippers frequented the temple of Apollo, was to the south; its springs supplied ample water to the city. Archaeological excavations have uncovered mosaic floors of villas, an altar to unknown deities, a temple of Demeter, and numerous sculptures and images of deities (pp.60–61).

https://bleon1.wordpress.com/tag/antioch/

About this great garden-park. 

Antioch was even more renowned for lovely gardens than Alexandria. The town had a wonderful site. The main street was a long continuous portico, with houses on one side, and on the other side gardens that extended right to the foot of the mountain : they contained all manner of summer-houses, baths and fountains, which, however, did not appear on the hill, “so as not to destroy the impression of regularity.” A second street reaches to the Orontes. In front of the West Gate the road passes through a wonderful suburb called Heraclea; farther on one gets to the famous park called Daphne after 7.5 kilometres of vines and roses on the south of Antioch. From this park the whole great estate took the extra name of Epidaphne. This too was originally a sacred grove which enclosed the Τερτνος the asylum with the temple of Apollo and Artemis. The great shady park had a circumference of eighty stadia. The springs here were more abundant than the earth had ever beheld, and the wonderful cypresses, three hundred in number, were, according to tradition, planted by the Seleucids.

Later generations could not say enough of the beauty of the baths, the portico, the places of amusement. The crowds found excellent hostels where vines grew even in the rooms, while in the gardens were wafted to them the aromatic odours of the flower-beds. Daphne is praised as the fairest spot on earth.

http://www.gardenvisit.com/history_theory/library_online_ebooks/ml_gothein_history_garden_art_design/greek_contact_eastern_gardens

the Paradise will representation the mix of eastern culture with Hellenism.

• Like 1

Paradise of Daphne would be perfect wonder, I think. That temple is a good start I think Paradise of Daphne had a large temple to Apollo, fountains, springs, gardens, etc. Having fountains and pools and gardens around a large Greek temple would be perfect. It could easily have footprint of Hangiing Gardens.

• Like 2

Hi LordGood. I think the gate structure can use some redesign. War Elephant need to walk through it (the gate is not high enough). Door should be wider too, for passage of multiple unit. (Roman gate has similar problwems). Compare with other gate houses.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I'm pushing 20,000 tris already, and I haven't even started the gardens yet haha

I suppose that's what wonders are for, after all. Going nuts!

I had thought the seleucid gate's obstruction was based on the hellenistic gates, so it shouldnt constrict traffic? I didnt edit any of that, just the actors

that said there is definitely not enough clearance for a towered elephant, lol. I'll fix that when I get the chance

4 hours ago, LordGood said:

I had thought the seleucid gate's obstruction was based on the hellenistic gates, so it shouldnt constrict traffic? I didnt edit any of that, just the actors

that said there is definitely not enough clearance for a towered elephant, lol. I'll fix that when I get the chance

The traffic may not be restrict, but visual the door look very small. You will see if you compare in Atlas. (y) 

19 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Paradise of Daphne would be perfect wonder, I think. That temple is a good start I think Paradise of Daphne had a large temple to Apollo, fountains, springs, gardens, etc. Having fountains and pools and gardens around a large Greek temple would be perfect. It could easily have footprint of Hangiing Gardens.

I think your definition big temple is smaller than my big temple. haha, well this was a fun way to spend a Saturday, at least.

I would love to squeeze in some fountains, but I'm already really pushing the wonder size limit...

screenshot0015.png

• Like 12

Some fountains or pools on the sides would work. Looks great though. Can maybe just call it "Temple of Apollo at Daphne". Maybe have golden statue of Apollo inside.

EDIT: Watch your seems on the columns. ;) Maybe turn columns so seams face toward wall. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Those aren't seams, actually, the AO baked all weird. I probably just need to tweak it, or have a larger texture to bake onto. Statue of Apollo was planned, already pulled back the awnings and everything, but I spent all my time realizing the relief sculptures into the sides haha

I want to get a bronze statue into the little temple too

• Like 1

Wonder's in, and edited the barracks. took out the banners just to be safe, you can't really see inside with them.

Looks like the citizen soldiers get to train in the art of fighting under heat exhaustion, haha

also, statue in the temple. No screenshots, so you'll have to take my word for it... or have a look yourself!

• Like 2