===[COMMITTED]=== Seleucid Structures

LordGood

It's going in the good direction for sure.

I think the more symmetrical ones, like A3 and A15 would fit this civ better.

Furthermore, arches are typical Roman, while the Hellenic cultures preferred pillars and flat ceilings. So I think A15 is the best proposal so far.

But you still have a lot of options open on how you design the actual sides and the back.

You can design the sides as having a roof (like the Greek barracks), or more like thick walls to walk on (like the Ptolemaic or Mauryan barracks, or your A1 proposal).

You can design the back with a single level, or as a two-story building (like your A6 proposal).

Also see the already designed seleucid buildings (the houses and the CC). Like there are houses with a flat roof available,

if you add a flat roof as thick barrack walls, then you should try to copy that style a bit. The buildings should match well together.

Nice start, but I would add some height differences in the roof. Making the "gate", the sides and the back all equally flat gives, indeed, a flat expression.

I also don't know if there are examples of flat roofs resting on pillars in the hellenistic architecture. So you might want to prolong the triangular roof of the sides, or make the triangular roof over the front wider.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with serverius, the fortress need more work.

May be you can try with Acra/ Akra Fortress

The Acra (or Akra, Hebrew: חקרא or חקרה‎, Greek: Aκρα), was a fortified compound in Jerusalem built by Antiochus Epiphanes, ruler of the Seleucid Empire, following his sack of the city in 168 BCE. The fortress played a significant role in the events surrounding the Maccabean Revolt and the formation of the Hasmonean Kingdom. It was destroyed by Simon Maccabeus during this struggle.

The exact location of the Acra, critical to understanding Hellenistic Jerusalem, remains a matter of ongoing discussion. Historians and archaeologists have proposed various sites around Jerusalem, relying mainly on conclusions drawn from literary evidence. This approach began to change in the light of excavations which commenced in the late 1960s. New discoveries have prompted reassessments of the ancient literary sources, Jerusalem's geography and previously discovered artifacts. Yoram Tsafrir has interpreted a masonry joint in the southeastern corner of the Temple Mount platform as a clue to the Acra's possible position. During Benjamin Mazar's 1968 and 1978 excavations adjacent to the south wall of the Mount, features were uncovered which may have been connected with the Acra, including barrack-like rooms and a huge cistern.

The ancient Greek term acra was used to describe other fortified structures during the Hellenistic period. The Acra is often called the Seleucid Acra to distinguish it from references to the Ptolemaic Baris as an acra and from the later quarter in Jerusalem which inherited the name Acra.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acra_(fortress)

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Ask Ayakashi for some concept art. I don't know why team get away from using concept art. Website used to have tonnes of it.

Niek's post refers to a concept that's been on this thread for nearly a year, and the model is built off of it nearly 1:1. There has been plenty of time to critique between the sketch and finish

If you find more source material then absolutely update this thread. As hesitant as I am to make another quadrangular fortress, if you have source material to back it up I will seriously consider it, especially for this faction.

those arch reliefs on the Seleucid Acra in particular could be a fantastic addition to the texture pack if Enrique knows about them.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

From RanaJe's A15 sketch. Not entirely faithful, but I had to get it to fit into the barracks footprint.

Taking a little time out of senior year duties; I wanted to get back into Blender for a bit :P maybe inch this task forward a tiny bit too.

If a dev rolls around to this, I'm not sure what stage of the alpha cycle we're at; I've been out of touch. Is it alright to commit?

Cheers!

screenshot0014.png

• Like 5

It looks very nice.

We're currently in string freeze and feature freeze (though feature freeze only counts for code AFAIK). So it should still be possible to commit it, if you don't change the strings (like the tooltips of the building), but only update the model.

In two days we should move to a complete commit freeze though.

See this page for the current status: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ReleaseProcessDraft

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

In general I think the Seleucid texture needs to be more realistic, like all of the others. This texture sheet stands out as cartoony to me.

iirc Enrique was working on the texture pack; 3D sculpting the texture is bound to take some time. The cartoony feel might be from a lack of normal and specular maps?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I like this direction L
In general I think the Seleucid texture needs to be more realistic, like all of the others. This texture sheet stands out as cartoony to me.

In LordGood's defence, a lot of the Seleucid textures look like that.

And my two cents: I think the banners are fine, as long as there are military-esque objects inside or outside. Because realistically, it would be hot and sunny there, so their buildings would have shade in small courtyards.

• Like 1