===[COMMITTED]=== Seleucid Structures

LordGood

I'd rather go to the Hatra structure directly, the one that you made the front blueprint LordGood. Nice work on the structures by the way. I like the overall color scheme and the columns. The temple looks very nice, my favorite so far. I'm not sure if I like the defense tower though, having the wall-columns in a military building doesn't look like it fits (unless I'm missing a reference that shows accuracy)

If you let me, I'll make the texture following the color scheme that you set, and will go for a 1024*2048 texture as I did with ptolemies.

This is what I want for the Seleucid CC:

post-13528-0-77602100-1420201489_thumb.j

• Like 1

Amazing buildings! Great work :)

Here you can find the ruins of the Seleucid fort in Cilicia, there are the towers and walls remnants with modern reconstruction. I hope it will help:

http://www.academia.edu/6025623/The_Ruins_on_Mount_Karasis_in_Cilicia?login=tomaskulla@gmail.com&email_was_taken=true

Edited by tomySVK
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I took a closer look at Hatra on the UNESCO site. It seems to stretch from the Parthian empire well into the Sassanid and Islamic empires. There are a lot of influences to peel apart in this region.

We can pull hellenistic influences out of this, but as far as a 1:1 translation I think we're giving a lot of Roman and Sassanid era details that will really muddy up the historical accuracy.

Even the Apamaea reeks of Roman influence

Pulling inspiration out of Pergamon is probably our best bet for the Hellenized east, at least as far as the civic buildings are concerned.

(I'm all for persian formalities though)

I'm all for finding another solution to the CC if you agree with me on this point, Enrique.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a closer look at Hatra on the UNESCO site. It seems to stretch from the Parthian empire well into the Sassanid and Islamic empires. There are a lot of influences to peel apart in this region.

We can pull hellenistic influences out of this, but as far as a 1:1 translation I think we're giving a lot of Roman and Sassanid era details that will really muddy up the historical accuracy.

Even the Apamaea reeks of Roman influence

Pulling inspiration out of Pergamon is probably our best bet for the Hellenized east, at least as far as the civic buildings are concerned.

(I'm all for persian formalities though)

I'm all for finding another solution to the CC if you agree with me on this point, Enrique.

We'll discuss this further soon.

I've made some better columns for seleucids. Overall the texture you made is quite good, I'm going to touch some values and probably make it 2048*1024 to have some more room for more stuff

post-13528-0-38910400-1426182145_thumb.p

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I working on the barracks then, i forgot to mention that yesterday.Here's couple sketches, i have to say im still getting used to wacom.I'm under impression that the Selucid's took the best out of the greek, arab and roman world, they really tryed to mix all that together so im trying to connect all that into one barracks.... :ph34r:

post-19914-0-18648500-1428662950_thumb.p

Style apart, you should follow the U-shaped design for barracks. All barracks are U-shaped, apart from the Roman ones, but the Roman barracks need to be redone some time.

Some U-shapes are very symmetrical (like the Greek and Carthagian), others are more organic, but also show a U-shape in some way (like the Gallic barracks).

For the style, the Seleucids were Macedonians that conqured and settled in Persia. So architecture would be based mostly based on a combination of those two. Similar to the Prolemaics in Egypt.

However, the Seleucids did find their Hellinistic values and knowledge superior to the Persian (in contrary to the Ptolemaics, who wanted to be true Egyptian pharaos).

So most of the style influence should come from the Hellenistic styles, while all the materials they used should be local (so very little white stone).

Style apart, you should follow the U-shaped design for barracks. All barracks are U-shaped, apart from the Roman ones, but the Roman barracks need to be redone some time.

Some U-shapes are very symmetrical (like the Greek and Carthagian), others are more organic, but also show a U-shape in some way (like the Gallic barracks).

For the style, the Seleucids were Macedonians that conqured and settled in Persia. So architecture would be based mostly based on a combination of those two. Similar to the Prolemaics in Egypt.

However, the Seleucids did find their Hellinistic values and knowledge superior to the Persian (in contrary to the Ptolemaics, who wanted to be true Egyptian pharaos).

So most of the style influence should come from the Hellenistic styles, while all the materials they used should be local (so very little white stone).

Regarding the Ptolemaic architecture, I would point out that as of a whole, it is extremely inaccurate regrettably. While the houses retaining Egyptian elements seems good generally, the architecture the Ptolemies had was at large Hellenistic. While it may not seem to help building diversity, having most structures look like things from the New Kingdom is quite a stretch.