Han stuff concept sketches for fun!

Ayakashi

That's some nice texturing work. I agree with Michael here. Leaving such a big part of the model to playercolor will break the color composition depending on the player. It's better to have full control over the main colors of the model/civilization.

There's a very nice tutorial about colors in general and composition from blenderguru Here. Very recommended:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made another concept sketch this time for the fortress. My bad not doing anything for so long gonna hopefully put up some more soon.

post-15249-0-23094000-1397688391_thumb.j

Strannik nice work man! The shape looks more or less spot on. niektb you still on the texturing? Can't wait to see the final product.

Edited by Ayakashi
  • Like 6

Made another concept sketch this time for the fortress. My bad not doing anything for so long gonna hopefully put up some more soon.

fort001xxs.jpg

Strannik nice work man! The shape looks more or less spot on. niektb you still on the texturing? Can't wait to see the final product.

It is a bit stalled right now (so much to do in school businesses) but as soon as I have the time I'll surely continue.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm the only one who thinks that the proportions are waay off?

I mean, it's a gate, it looks like a overly complex gate.

Big gates like the mauryan one makes sense because the walls were higher than the standard because of their roofing, but here that the walls are standard size.... it looks disproportionate to me

I'd lose some height on the top towers and the dougongs underneath the flanking towers.

well, maybe not lose the dougongs, they do look nice, but give the towers access to the wall. It looks a little too high up at the moment, and unlike the wall turrets, this can be shown with stairs, or a door.

given the height issue, it would probably be most beneficial to keep the floor of the tower flush with that of the wall

I simply can ´t do that. The gate is supposed to be twice as large but no walls in the game are so if do so îll have to make overly large walIs i wanted to keep the old gate but ayakashi said it was too simple so now we have a small redcliff gate cause chinese were known for their big walls. If you look at the redcliff movie available on youtube you ´ll see that the wallsare as small.

I don ´t have a magic solution.

Sorry for the annoyed/hard to understand post. I was on a telephone that was lagging a lot when writing on forums. To make it more clear :

1. Gate makes the size of the longest wall of the game, so I can't make it any larger. Even though it should be twice as large.

2. That gate is taken from the redcliff movie, and ayakashi told me to replace that model with the old one because it was too simple.

3. Here is the reference.

40831-battle-red-cliff-john-woo-style_0.

4 : The movie can be found on youtube, not posting links for obvious reasons. this scene is around the beginning (20min) as you see walls are under the tower, and the gate is much bigger. I tried to ignore it as much possible, but didn't succeed obviously.

your structure above your gate is still twice as tall as the wall, and your reference is at least 1:1

It doesnt matter what you pull your references from, YOU ultimately need to find solutions to the problems that will inevitably surface when converting reference to art.

with a light dusting of creativity you can muscle your way past this little roadblock. You just gotta believe in yourself, yeah?

• Like 1

Stan your gate looks epic but I have to agree with what other's have said. Sometimes you have to take artistic liberties to make everything work, not just try to mimic the references as closely as you can. Another thing I would add is that it does look too much like you scaled up 2 watch towers to make it, which makes the top floor look like its for giants! Maybe if you can you may try to bring the wooden towers a little closer to the level of the wall. Shorten the top floor a little and the railings to the size of those on the watch towers. Make it look like a wider structure by maybe adding an extra rail post on the top floor. Also see if you can make the door wider by either making the slanted walls straight and narrower instead, make it go into the middle less, or just remove it- your call.

Please don't take this badly, we're all trying to help ;)

Edited by Ayakashi