Empires Besieged possible Factions.

Lion.Kanzen

I have a question now the forum art is more complex we can create reference topic there? Because I have a lot of images in my Dropbox waiting for be shared XD.

For periods which are not in the 500 B.C. - 500 A.D. time frame please don't add it to the main art development forum but rather to individual mods depending on which time period it is from. Otherwise it will be hard to find the relevant information if there are a lot of topics about other time periods. All relevant references can of course be posted there though.

For periods which are not in the 500 B.C. - 500 A.D. time frame please don't add it to the main art development forum but rather to individual mods depending on which time period it is from. Otherwise it will be hard to find the relevant information if there are a lot of topics about other time periods. All relevant references can of course be posted there though.

give a example a post made by me talking about other times? Sarmatians are wrong? XD and I'm not anymore with Aristeia As Lead.

VdtQNni.jpg

Sorry but I'm keep in main talk about Sarmatians, or imperial Romans. But if you want I use reference here anyway. Sorry if I don't explain my intentions I have a lot of visual Roman, Sarmatian, Hunish, Germanic stuff. And I don't want have so many space.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

FAQ

IB = Infantry Basic

IA = Infantry Advanced

IE = Infantry Elite

CI = Champion infantry

CC = champion calvary

suebi units "total war":

spearmen

IB

780xNx2013-10-25_00883.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IA

780xNx2013-10-25_00860.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IE

780xNx2013-10-25_00848.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

Swordsman

IB

780xNx2013-10-25_00865.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IA

780xNx2013-10-25_00829.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IE "longsworsmen"

780xNx2013-10-25_00849.jpg.pagespeed.ic.https://1-ps.googleusercontent.com

Slinger

IB

780xNx2013-10-25_00884.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IA

780xNx2013-10-25_00869.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IE "the only change is suebi hair"

780xNx2013-10-25_00827.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

Javelinist

IB780xNx2013-10-26_00001.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IA "gets a sword"

780xNx2013-10-26_00012.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

IE "suebi knot, and suicide spear attack, with wedge formation "

780xNx2013-10-25_00825.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

* Archer!

IA IB and IE in same image

780xNx2013-10-26_00007.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

Calvary Javelinist

CB

780xNx2013-10-25_00874.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

CA "gets a knife"

780xNx2013-10-25_00855.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

CE "gets helmet, caih mall and calvary sword"

780xNx2013-10-25_00791.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

* calvary swrdsman "copy&paste of Epos"

CI "simmilar to a Solduros"

780xNx2013-10-26_00013.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

CC

780xNx2013-10-25_00843.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

*NOTE, the celtic influence of germanic elte armor was very famous

Edited by sanderd17
Added spoilers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

C'mon, folks. You're considering a game without the Chinese? One of the greatest civilizations of all can't be left out. The Tang Dynasty would be a great addition to the game. By the way, the Chinese (Tang) culture was adopted Japan in the 6th century alongst with Buddhism , hence the many similarities with Japanese and Tang Dynasty architecture. Perhaps the early Japanese could be featured themselves.

C'mon, folks. You're considering a game without the Chinese? One of the greatest civilizations of all can't be left out. The Tang Dynasty would be a great addition to the game. By the way, the Chinese (Tang) culture was adopted Japan in the 6th century alongst with Buddhism , hence the many similarities with Japanese and Tang Dynasty architecture. Perhaps the early Japanese could be featured themselves.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14092

A quote from fenure

I wouldn't say the reason for 0 A.D. being what it is

is quite that simple, indirectly I'm sure it's part of

the explanation as a general focus on European/

Near Eastern history in the west have influenced

what is seen in movies etc and thus what people

are interested in. Directly it's not that simple

though, 0 A.D. started out in many ways as a

continuation of the Rome at War mod and with a

desire to create a game based on Rome and it's

enemies. I still think that should be the focus of the

first release/releases, but where the game goes

from that is as much up to the community as a

whole as to WFG

And Japan in those times were Yamatia (Yamato being the capitol) which a majority consisting mainly of Han dynasty people.

Edited by Romulus

the Tang fall out of the general timespan of 0ad, though. in my opinion, the Han would be a better choice, or alternatively--if they could be made distinct enough--three separate Chinese factions to represent the countries of the Warring States period (Wu, Shu, and Wei). though content related to the Tang dynasty would be great additions to the editor, perhaps even including Hua Mulan as an editor-only hero unit. in the same vein, a hypothetical Japanese faction would actually have to lack the famous samurai, as that institution did not exist in Japan at the time 0ad takes place, though it would be a shame for them to not exist in the game at all if we go to all the effort of having a playable Japanese faction.

• Like 1

the Tang fall out of the general timespan of 0ad, though. in my opinion, the Han would be a better choice, or alternatively--if they could be made distinct enough--three separate Chinese factions to represent the countries of the Warring States period (Wu, Shu, and Wei). though content related to the Tang dynasty would be great additions to the editor, perhaps even including Hua Mulan as an editor-only hero unit. in the same vein, a hypothetical Japanese faction would actually have to lack the famous samurai, as that institution did not exist in Japan at the time 0ad takes place, though it would be a shame for them to not exist in the game at all if we go to all the effort of having a playable Japanese faction.

I want Japanese faction in game or in a DLC. Can you provide a idea what Japanese faction can be good for both time span.

I want a serious propose may be topic in mod forum. That early information you was provided it's important for someone else don't have any idea of Far Asians culture thanks you for share :)

the best form of a Japanese faction to include would be the Yamato dynasty, which would most definitely fall into Part2's timespan as opposed to Part1. for a bit of context, the Yamato are the Japanese who were represented in the original Age of Empires

• Like 1

the best form of a Japanese faction to include would be the Yamato dynasty, which would most definitely fall into Part2's timespan as opposed to Part1. for a bit of context, the Yamato are the Japanese who were represented in the original Age of Empires

Yamato, I remember their Campaing in AOE.

I thought about the Tang as a faction for par two ( correct me if I'm wrong, but part two would be from 500ad on?). I also thought the Three Kingdoms would be a great pick, maybe the famous Guan Yu could be a hero for the Shu State, but the Quarring States was a brief period, hence my suggestion of chosing a more "solid" dynasty. About the Japanese, you're right, they'd be a more "primitive" pre-Chinese Japanese.

Part 2 covers 1-500 AD Tang dynasty didn't start until 618 AD so its pretty much out of the question.

Personally I think the Three Kingdoms wouldn't be different enough to justify 3 separate factions. And if ROTE is still happening, I think the best dynasties to include would be the Jin (265-420) and Northern Wei(386-535 and not to be confused with Cao Cao's Wei).

So basically, the Jin can be like how you'd expect a typical Chinese faction with massed infantry and lots and lots of crossbow men, whist the Northern Wei would have steppe nomad influences with cavalry archers and cataphracts.

On a further note, imagine how epic would it be having a wonder a bit like this:

1280px-Boddhisatvas_in_Longmen_Grottoes.

That's the Longmen Grottoes, built during the Northern Wei.

Just a lil suggestion of mine, coz it would be a huge shame not to include China as a faction in the official game in some form...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my tuppenceworth to the discussion on German tribes. I agree that the Visigoths and Ostrogoths had enough of a different impact on history that they should be seperate factions. Also just on the general numerousness of German tribes, I'm fine with this as I think that is one of the things that characterised that period. The game just wouldn't be the same with only one or two German tribes marauding around, now 4 or 5 different German tribes, each going off in different areas and fighting Romans, Byzantines, each other

Edited by McAllisterw
  • Like 1

I wonder if we can't find a more flexible solution than having to redo each new variant (sub-faction) from scratch.

We probably don't have the artist resources to create dozens of different civilisations (and then even more variants of those).

One of the mighty consequences of Sander17's work on the unit scale variation, might be, that we can define a unit scale per civ in the XML/JSON config file.

Then we can reach the variety by researching techs (e.g. you choose you go the Celtic and not the Gallic way, then the scale factor is being adapted. This might look sublte in this case, but consider Homo Neanderthalensis and Homo Erectus, the size makes a difference).

Of course fluctuation aoround this base value for each civ might occur (to give the variety we dream of).

As a distant goal, mixing civs might change the base value (average).

All this might not fully relieve the art department (as we still need special buildings, props, textures, ...) nor the concept department (as we need different techs for each civ-variant, different settings, ...).

The art workload on new buildings we could mitigate by introducing an even more modular system (extending our current prop system).

The configuration/concept workload (research, parameter tweaking, unit definitions, heroes, ...) we might live with. We are interested in history anyways. And I don't know of a way around this.

Okay, all this perhaps not relieves the programming department. ;) But if the lessened stress on the art department and hard-coding allows to introduce dozens of civilisations ... imagine the realism.

Edited by Hephaestion

• 3 weeks later...
  1. Arabs (to the Ptolemies) (as a note, these would be pre-Islamic Arabs probably from what is now Yemen)

I know the game is up to 500 AD, but if Arabs are going to be added, it cannot be before the timeline of Islam. The Arabs contacted most of the "Ancient" cultures before they converted to Kingdoms, although they were contacted at a date of degradation. Besides, the Arabs themselves did absolutely nothing prior to Islam.